Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the indicator Land Rover uses to signify OEM tires. As many of you may know, simply buying a tire of the same brand, model, and size from a retailer does not mean you will receive the same tire that came on your vehicle. Automobile manufacturers commonly require tire manufacturers to make tires specifically for them. The tread compound is the main difference I'm told and can supposedly be significant. Mind you I'm not convinced its of major importance, as I have to wonder if the auto companies aren't just trying to ensure you buy replacements from their dealers instead of less expensive retailers. But in any case the tires do, or at least can, vary by automobile manufacturer. Porsche for example uses an "N". Jaguar a "J" and BMW a five pointed star. But so far I've not been able to find what LR uses (my RRS is not due until June).

If you know I'd appreciate the information, or if you have an RRS or any Land Rover I expect, you can find it on the sidewall. Typically you'd find the size as with "275/45 R21", followed by the load and speed rating such as "93Y", then there may be an "M+S" indicating mud and snow capability, and even a severe snow indicator (though I doubt you'll ever see that unless you're using snow tires). Then finally you'll get to the indicator I'm searching for ...probably a letter or two, just before the tire brand name. Note however that all these may vary by tire and country, and there are more designations as well ...E for European standards, the DOT label in the USA (letters for plant location and manufacturer codes followed by the 4 digit manufacture date (week of year WW followed by year YY). Also note that the Michelin Latitude Sports on RRS vehicles apparently have the M+S symbol because LR required Michelin to put it there. Everything I've read says there's nothing to that beyond the letters themselves ...those are summer-only tires.

Anyway, if anyone could tell me the OEM indicatior, I'd appreciate it. Thank you

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,401 Posts
Just out of curiosity why does this matter so much to you?

· Registered
329 Posts
Just out of curiosity why does this matter so much to you?
Sometimes the OEM stuff is slightly different than the exact model you can buy off of say tirerack.com. For example, compounds can be changed depending on the manufacturer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.