Range Rovers Forum banner

Land Rover/Jaguar will discontine supercharged V8 engines

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  dwboston 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Makes sense to switch away. I totally love the SC V8, but they would have to change something in order to get the HP numbers higher.
Project 8 has 592 hp. Doesn’t break the 600 HP mark.
I mean, not that it matters? It’s a lot of power either way! If this is true, get your V8s while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
The AJ133 will do well over 600hp with a simple tune and pulley. And that is zero lag, unlike turbos. How much more power do you need really ? The day they stop making a FFRR with the blown V8 is the day I pick up the newest lowest mileage version I can find and keep it as long as I can.

Makes sense to switch away. I totally love the SC V8, but they would have to change something in order to get the HP numbers higher.
Project 8 has 592 hp. Doesn’t break the 600 HP mark.
I mean, not that it matters? It’s a lot of power either way! If this is true, get your V8s while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well, the 4-banger Ingenium is 296 HP. That implies that the I-6 should be well above 400 in itself. They can probably take it beyond 500 with an AA battery at that point...

I'm not sure what config they will choose, but I'm fairly certain they won't undersize the "Supercharged" and the "Autobiography" engines, even it they won't be V8s.

#5 ·
i am looking forward to this. LR can't compete with the VW products (bentayga, urus) with the current SC engine. i can't prove it, but they are probably fast tracking the full model change of the RR and RRS. they cancelled the sold out FS RR coupe. although LR is still selling well they have to step it up in anticipation. we'll be two years out of warranty in '21 when i hope they'll have a new SVR ready.

#8 ·
More power is always fine, but LR will never compete with other high performance German and Italian SUV's - and that's for the best. The RRS is the best balanced high performance SUVs, in that it's not only fast on a track, but is also far more capable off-road that the competition. That capability comes with obvious on-road performance compromises, which is the reason that it will never be able to fully compete on a track with a Cayenne or Urus. Try taking those other cars through deep sand, snow, or a few feet of water - they simply won't make it. To that end, I don't consider those other SUVs as competition.

#12 ·
You can do both these days. Look at the newest G63 AMG; one of the most cable off-roaders you can buy, a box on wheels and absolutely dusted the SVR in a drag race (SVR vs G63 vs Urus vs Model X) video that's floating out there on Youtube. Car and Driver said they got 3.9 seconds 0-60. Of course, a G63 would be horrible on the track but that's expected with it's horrible aerodynamics but it would be nice to get those sort of real world numbers out of Range Rovers.

The normal Supercharged Range Rover should be the one you buy when you want balance, the SVR should be a serious performance vehicle IMO. I always thought that was the point? SVR being a serious track performer like the Jeep Trackhawk or Mercedes GLC63 AMG is very possible.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a25304679/2019-mercedes-amg-glc63-s-nurburgring-lap-record/

#10 ·
"Tired of looking at the tail end of the neighbor's G63"

Just find a road that isn't straight... the G63 corners (significantly) worse than most full size trucks! C&D's skidpad testing has the Ford F-150's skidpad at 0.76 g and the Mercedes G63's skidpad at 0.63 g. I mean, they're fine in a straight line and capable off-road, but basically useless if you need to carry speed through a turn.

For perspective, the 2016 SVR's C&D
Roadholding skidpad was 0.92 g. and the 2014 RRS Supercharged was 0. 86 g.

#11 ·
Glad I have the V8 SC now. No matter what people say, there is no substitute for displacement. You can certainly get more horsepower, torque, etc., but the feel of a big V8 cannot be duplicated. Porsche went with lower displacement, turbo engines for all major models which on paper are better in every way. My wife has a Macan S with the low displacement/turbo engine to replace her previous car. I can say the feel is totally different even with higher numbers. Add to that the fake sound they pump into the cabin to offset the great sound of the high displacement predecessor and it is very disappointing. My 66 Chevelle SS with a big block 396 engine cannot be matched for "feel" with anything on the market. Just my opinion, of course.

#13 ·
Agree LR can do more, especially on the RRS given its marketability compared to the full size to be more road ready. Yes, it has great technology for off road situations but the tire and wheel packages available limit its usability (same with all its competitors). We have a mountain house with a rather steep 1/4 mile long gravel driveway and ours stays muddy given the logging equipment using the road. Ours has 22" factory wheels and has been stuck on the snow and ice on that driveway twice this year. Our old F250 farm truck drives right around it with off road tires.

The SC V8 should be able to hold its own against the competition on, and off road in typical situations most of us would ever see. The SVR needs to be as capable as its AMG and other counterparts.

Sign me up for an electric RRS that can stay with the projected Rivian R1S that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds.

#14 ·
I don't really understand the obsession with 0-60 and bragging rights over who is the fastest. Unless you have the fastest car/SUV on the planet there is always something faster. I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't really matter as long as what we have is "fast enough" to make us happy. I have an 18 SVR and it's something like 4.2 seconds which I think is amazing for a heavy, luxurious SUV. And remember, not that long ago Land Rovers were only about boxy off road vehicles. And in only a few years they're trying to put something out there (through SVO) that competes with Porsche, BMW and Merecedes etc who have had many years in the game of performance SUV's. I'd say they're doing quite well. And I'm really happy they are doing this because I love the combination of properties the SVR provides -- very comfortable when you want it, brutal loud monster when you want that. All with elegant, subtle design. Personally I don't care if a Cayenne is faster by a few tenths of second. It does nothing for me and I don't want one. Same for a rapper's car G wagon. But whatever makes people happy I say. And the SVR makes me very happy....

#16 ·
I have to agree with Rick Jones. Most of these high end automobile manufacturers operate within a niche market. Let's think about JLR and their products for a moment. What comes to mind when you think of 'Land Rover'? Most people think of serious off-road capabilities married to luxury. They are not thinking of something to take to Road America. If you are looking for high speed and track performance, then you should consider the Urus or some of the Cayenne models. The SVO models offer a more performance oriented product, but they will never be able to compete with Porsche and Lamborghini. Nor should they. That is not what these automobiles have been designed for.

I owned an L322 before my L405. I can remember similar concerns about the changes that the new model would bring. I suspect that most of you would agree that the MkIV has turned out to be a far superior vehicle. I personally cannot wait to see what the L560 offers. I doubt that anyone who wants a Land Rover experience will be disappointed.

Steve

#18 ·
Except LR offers SVRs with race seats, carbon fibre hoods, race stripes, loud exhaust. It's quite clear that they actually do want to play and compete with AMG and Porsche in the high performance arena. The current model is pretty old so I do not expect it to compete with these brand new models from AMG and Porsche but I am positive the next generation Range Rovers will do just that. There were very few SUVs that were quicker than the current generation V8 sport when it was released in 2013 and full sized V8 was the quickest large SUV you could buy..it was faster than the G63 up until the new model.

#22 ·
I test drove a Supercharged Dynamic this morning and was surprised at the amount of power/torque. I'm currently driving a 2015 Audi A8 (short wheelbase) with the 4.0T engine (435 hp) and the RRS is noticeably more powerful off the line - it took a little getting used to. It's unfortunate that the car manufacturers are going away from V8's (and superchargers it seems...the new electric supercharger notwithstanding) in pursuit of government agenda-driven mileage targets. While the headline HP numbers may be close, there's no comparison between a supercharged V8 and a V6 with turbos and hybrid gimmicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.