RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that both the Range Rover and Range Rover Sports for 2010 no longer have the Land Rover oval on the back of the truck. Looks like it's missing something on that side and not sure why they don't put the badge on there anymore. Hmmm

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Land Rover is pushing the Range Rover name as a brand - rather than a specific model designator - more and more prominently, and slowly debadging the oval in the process, to indicate their "high end" production (this includes the new RR Evoque, whether you like it or not), as opposed to their Disco/LR2 and Disco/LR4 (and Defenders over in Europe), where the LR oval and name are still boldly displayed... Their Corporate web site now clearly separates "Range Rover" and "Land Rover" model lineups, and even the navigation screen of the RRS now displays "Range Rover" when it fires up, the Land Rover logo is gone for good. :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah hah, makes sense!

·
Registered
140 Posts
they are wrecking the Land Rover brand, for over 6o years Land Rover has built its self up as a well known house name and now that Range Rover is the most popular it has ever been they want to change its roots so they can make more money out of a MODEL name which is NOT a BRAND. A Range Rover will always be a model in the Land Rover vehicle line up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
umbertob said:
Mattstevenson2005 said:
Range Rover is the most popular it has ever been
Don't you think that's also due, in no small part, to the success of the Range Rover Sport?
absolutely, but the 'Range Rover' Sport is a model not a brand. But you have to remember that the 'Land Rover' Series/Defender started this great company and the 'Range Rover' model was added to compliment the vehicle line up, this would be like saying Ford should split the Focus model into its own brand because it is very popular.

·
Registered
441 Posts
umbertob said:
Mattstevenson2005 said:
Don't you think that's also due, in no small part, to the success of the Range Rover Sport?
quite the contrary,

I think the Sport is riding on the coat tails of the Range Rover.

If they called the Sport, the LR3 Sport, do you think it would do as well? No, it rides the name of the real Range Rover.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Luetic said:
If they called the Sport, the LR3 Sport, do you think it would do as well?
We'll never know for sure, since its owners didn't call it that, they called it the Range Rover Sport. My view is that the Sport has been a successful vehicle for Land Rover, it has made Ford (first) and Tata (now) a lot of money, and Land Rover as a company - and the Range Rover name - are both more relevant today than they would have been without it. That should be all good news for current and future Land Rover owners, who cares whose coat tails the Sport "rides". It sounds to me like some of you would have been happier if this hypothetical "LR3 Sport" had been less successful than it was as a Range Rover Sport because... It's some sort of impostor? Same goes for the new Evoque by the way, they should have probably called it the LR2 Evoque... But they didn't. "They" own the company.

I guess I fail to see the outrage of using the Range Rover name to sell more cars and making more money. I understand about preserving traditions of a car company and a storied name, up to a point. In the end (and in this economy especially) it's still a business and customers' tastes and priorities have completely changed from 60 - forget 60, how about 10 - years ago.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I bought a black and silver LR oval and put it on my 2011 RR S/C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Luetic said:
umbertob said:
Mattstevenson2005 said:
quite the contrary,

I think the Sport is riding on the coat tails of the Range Rover.

If they called the Sport, the LR3 Sport, do you think it would do as well? No, it rides the name of the real Range Rover.
Agree 100%.

Many people buy the Sport as a cheap way into Range Rover ownership. It's an image, an aspiration.
That's why it's a success and that is why I have no doubt that they'll sell a lot of Ewoks. People want the brand image of the Range Rover and don't mind paying a bit more than the Land Rover equivalent (Disco or Freelander) that is a bit cheaper.

While I don't like splitting the brand, it's going to make them a lot of money. That's what shareholders want.
I'm sure they love the sport. Very little design costs compared to a new vehicle as it's basically a less practical Disco(LR3/4) but sells at a price premium. So it's good for business.

And if we want Land Rover to succeed that means these type of actions as it sells more cars and makes more money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I see more Range Rovers all over the world than other high line model including Mercedes. You see a lot of LR 3+4's also in parts of the world that have rough roads. In Australia the 4 door Defender is in most beer commercials and you can't get that one here. I am utterly amazed with the off road prowess that these cars have, except for the RRS with 20 inch rims, they will go anywhere on any mountain and drive home like a S Class Mercedes.

PS The RRS Supercharged will give Porsche a run for it's money and can almost keep up with the 911's on a twisty road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have been told the split is so the brand can meet new Fuel MPG Standards. Car lines with a small number of models are held apart for larger companies. It may only be a North America thing as we are the only country that hates industry. Apparently CAFE standards are getting out of hand and by separating the Brands and bringing out small engine cars like the [email protected] and Evoque Helps offset the mileage consumption of the Larger models.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
geeez could upset so many people with this topic . . .

I loved the way the question of would you have been happy with a LR3 sport was rather quickly put under the mat with no no answer to the orriginal question.

I love my rangies, and I am into the older ones and not overly keen on the newer ones, sport included. But thats just my view and taste.

It bugs me though as it appears the Range Rover name is being used and abused, as for now yes they make some cars of some sort of quality but at the rate they are going soon there will be range rover bambino's with air conditioning as an option. This leads to more units sold, more profits etc which is good for the company, and in a way good for the user as repairs and parts thus become cheaper. But, it also means the quality of the product in inevitably come down, and the Range Rover will inevitably in the future fade into just being another Ford Territory, Toyota Prado or even Honda CRV. Don't get me wrong I dream of every other car on the road being Range Rover Classic's so I can sit and admire all day, its not about being exclusive, but to me it is a bit about keeping the history and meaning behind the brand as well as making a buck.

Sorry for the rant, just looks like they found a cash cow, they are going to flog it, and in the end it will be bad for everyone, except the the guy running off with a big bag of cash to retire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts