RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, only joined the forum a few days ago. I ordered my RRS at beginning of October, so have a few months still to wait. how time drags when you want something soooooo badly.
I ordered the 3.0l SDV6 diesel HSE ( fuel costs in the UK make it impossible to get the V8 petrol) in Aintree Green with Almond seating.
I've added
Sliding Panoramic roof
Privacy glass
electrically deployed tow bar
surround camera system
hope you all approve?

Now my question is, I was talking to a customer of mine who works for LR/Jaguar in the IT section, and he asked if I was going to see my car being built.
I said do they have web cameras on the production floor?
No he said, you can go along to Solihull in Birmingham and watch them build your car, he even said you can tighten the odd nut or two
Has any one else heard or been to the factory, if it is true I'm going.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now my question is, I was talking to a customer of mine who works for LR/Jaguar in the IT section, and he asked if I was going to see my car being built.
I said do they have web cameras on the production floor?
No he said, you can go along to Solihull in Birmingham and watch them build your car, he even said you can tighten the odd nut or two
Has any one else heard or been to the factory, if it is true I'm going.

I posted this a few months back: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/13-general-chatter/97305-solihull-plant-lode-lane-solihull-uk-owned-land-rover-where-rrs-built.html

And here's a posting of someone who actually went in 2011: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/13-general-chatter/34879-just-back-solihull-factory-tour.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did the factory tour, but i don't think that they will be able to pinpoint your car on the line. The factory does not operate at the same capacity constantly making it hard to predict when your car will be built down to the minute. So either you have to get really lucky to see it during your tour, which you have to book in advance, or you have to be really important to them, so they go through the trouble to find your car. Anyway, it was a really cool experience, and also go for the off-road experience on site it is great. I had a thread about it in general chatter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I did the factory tour, but i don't think that they will be able to pinpoint your car on the line. The factory does not operate at the same capacity constantly making it hard to predict when your car will be built down to the minute. So either you have to get really lucky to see it during your tour, which you have to book in advance, or you have to be really important to them, so they go through the trouble to find your car. Anyway, it was a really cool experience, and also go for the off-road experience on site it is great. I had a thread about it in general chatter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've been on paid Factory Tours, but they paid ME!! Problem is, I had to do some work in exchange.

I think what they do is discreetly find out what color and model you RR is, find one that looks the same and point to it, saying " Look !!! There's yours right there mate !!! Do you want to tighten some Nuts on it"!!??

They then use Visitors as cheap labor.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've been on paid Factory Tours, but they paid ME!! Problem is, I had to do some work in exchange.

I think what they do is discreetly find out what color and model you RR is, find one that looks the same and point to it, saying " Look !!! There's yours right there mate !!! Do you want to tighten some Nuts on it"!!??

They then use Visitors as cheap labor.
That might explain some of the wonky LR issues ... they let the cross-eyed tourist named "Todd" install the suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts