RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im almost certain this has been posted in the past but im not locating it for some reason in search. I just received a invitation to attend the Biltmore Land Rover Driving School. They have 2hour, half day, full day courses. Is it worth it? Do they have Rovers there that we drive or do we use our own Range Rover? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not participated in one of the owners day events, but I have done a 2 hour course at the Biltmore. We used one of their vehicles, a RRS TD6. The course is not particularly challenging. No deep water, rock crawl, etc. Mostly what I would characterize as rutted logging roads. The instructors were excellent and the course was interesting, but I felt that it was overpriced for what it was.

I recently participated in a Jeep off-raod experience at the Nemacolin Resort near Pittsburgh. This was true off-roading, using a special, non-street legal Rubicon. The course has serious hazards that no RR could possibly handle. Had to lock the rear axle to get over several steep rock features. Got stuck in a 2 feet deep water hazard. The cost was only $90 an hour, a much better deal.

I received the same email as you regarding the owners day event. It sounds like you do use your own vehicle, so the course will definitely be tame. Most participants will have summer tires and they can't risk damage to the vehicles. $325 is a bit expensive. However, if I lived closer to the Biltmore, I would be inclined to try it just for fun.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
if you go to the course, regardless of which one: you use the driving school's vehicle. they actually teach you stuff.
on owners' day, everyone drives their own, that's the fun part. having said that, at least up in Vermont, it's a proper off-road drive, one needs to pay serious attention (and the staff will help of course).

unless things changed in the past couple of years, of course.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
This gives a good overview of what to expect

1 - 5 of 5 Posts