RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I'm ~9 months into my 2017 Diesel. Aintree and espresso/ivory...amazing car.

One weird thing. Trying to decide whether it's worth the hassle of taking it into the dealer.

When the car is cold (not crazy cold - just below maybe 45 degrees), and/or when the car hasn't been driven in a couple of weeks (travel), there is a long lag between pushing the start button, and the ignition actually firing.

Any lag at all seems strange, but yesterday - first time starting it after 2 weeks but no cold weather in that time - it took almost 5 seconds.

My main concern isn't holding down the button, it's that it's a symptom of some bigger issue. It's my ski car and I don't want to get it up into actual cold weather and end up stranded because of whatever's behind this issue.

Anyone else seeing this?

I've dug around and seen some comments to the effect of, "Sometimes it just takes longer in these cars". If that's the case, no problem, but if it's indicative of some other issue, I'd like to get it dealt with now...

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The delay is to allow the glow plugs to warm up. There is no reason to ever hold the start button down. Just press the button / release and wait, it will start when it can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Absolutely correct. Press and release. The colder the weather the longer it takes for the glow plugs to reach initial temp for startup. Of course if your rig is sitting for two weeks in cold weather you are also dealing with a less than peak battery, unless you are on a battery tender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts