RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Desperately in need of some good help and advice. I recently picked up my 1st RRS (2014 model). For the 1st 2 weeks it was great but for the last 2 months I've been encountering squeaking brakes under braking.

As the dealership I purchased the car from is quite a drive from me they authorised me to go a local garage of my choice to get the brakes looked at. The garage recommended I replaced front and rear pads and discs as they were quite worn and the discs were lipped which didn't reflect well on the dealership. They maintained there was no issue upon sale of the vehicle but I didn't argue, I just went ahead and replaced the items (brembo set up - pads and discs)

Despite the replacement im still getting a squeak, pretty loud too. The issue seems to be intermittent , but generally tends to happen when the brakes are warm. I've returned to the garage and they have offered to investigate but I'm wondering is this a common issue and is there a fix? I've heard the Piaget pads are prone to squeaking but not sure about Brembo's. Any help would be great

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m coming to the conclusion that these are pure **** cars even compared to some of the worst US domestics.

Back on subject, I wouldn’t let any dealer convince me that my pads or rotors are due for premature replacement by some other factor than “your brake pads material is 2mm or less” or “your rotors are under minimum thickness”.

I’d still ask questions at that point. Stick your smart phone in the spokes of your wheel and take a picture of how much pad you have left. And remember, even minimum rotor thickness is what they are able to machine down to. Presuming that at least for one more set of pads to work their magic before decommissioning the rotors. So, technically they’re good for that long afterwards, too.

With the softness of the brake pad material (read: HIGH DUST) I wouldn’t imagine you’d be wearing rotor material very quickly. If the rotors are so close to minimum when new, practically lasting two sets of (short lived) pads (30k), that’s a blatant problem the manufacture is choosing to ignore and capitalize on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Typically the dealership were great until they had to offer post sales support. They covered 50% of the cost of the replacement brakes (arguably, should of covered all). I'm new to the world of Range Rover's so I presumed the Squeaking would stop with new pads and discs all round.

I've seen online that dealerships have been applying some sort of additional seal to the pads to keep out dust. I don't know if this is a fix or the pads need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Typically the dealership were great until they had to offer post sales support. They covered 50% of the cost of the replacement brakes (arguably, should of covered all). I'm new to the world of Range Rover's so I presumed the Squeaking would stop with new pads and discs all round.

I've seen online that dealerships have been applying some sort of additional seal to the pads to keep out dust. I don't know if this is a fix or the pads need to be replaced again.
You don’t want to hold the dust in around the brake pads, lest it get between the rotor and solid pad material. The remedy being ceramic pads (if there is such a thing for the S/C).

Good on you the dealer covered 50%. It’s only right because their brakes last 50% of what most other cars do. LOL. Sounds like they replaced them with the same kind that came on there. It will probably exhibit the same sounds, then.

Squeaking brakes can mean:

1.) your brake pad material is low / gone
2.) nothing

I’d be searching for an aftermarket set because clearly the OEM material is not known for its silent braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen disc Italia mentioned as viable option for ceramic brakes but I can't find them online. Any ideas where I could get these? (based in the UK)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've seen disc Italia mentioned as viable option for ceramic brakes but I can't find them online. Any ideas where I could get these? (based in the UK)
I’ve had squeaking noise on my new brakes long ago and had to take it to the dealer 3 times before they finally fixed it. My noise was rather during slow drives and it very audible inside a parking garage or relatively quiet environment. 30k miles later (worn out) I replaced them with oem rotors and disc italia pads - little to no brake dust at all, the wheels look clean, but the squeaking noise has come again, this time during initial braking and then there’s no noise on subsequent braking. After few miles of drives and hit the brakes on another light and hear the noise again. It’s been 2 months since I replaced them and the advice from the local dealer who installed them was to do some hard braking in a parking lot which I haven’t done yet. Most times with my family so haven’t got a chance yet.

For your issue, I would take it to the dealer to get it fixed since you still have warranty on the brakes. Not just once but multiple times before they can fix it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bear in mind the dealer will only put OEM parts back on there. I laugh when I see posts like “dealer replaced for free - 5k miles and still quiet as a mouse!” because inevitably the squeak will creep up again in the next 10k.

It’s in the materials. It’s embarrassing to pull up to a restaurant, valet, or even a family member’s house and have someone say “sounds like you need to get your brakes checked out!”. I’m going to print up business cards that say “got 10mm of pad left, thanks!”

Squeaking is not NORMAL braking behavior. It’s an admission that OEM materials were crap and exhibits an unwillingness to do anything about it. Squeaking should only be a warning your pads are low, or a result of them being completely gone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's right ddm2k - the dealer will put only OEM parts but my dealer fixed my low speed squeaking noise after 3 attempts. Did not replace the brakes/ rotors, not sure what he did though. 30K miles and was good and now I get squeaking when I hit the brakes after replacing with Disc Italia and OEM rotors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've periodically had squeaking with mine- actually went pretty squeak-free for quite awhile, but during last service it was time for new pads and rotors, and now get both low-speed squeaking and when hitting the brakes. Time for a return to the dealer I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
These Range Rovers had a poor design of airflow from the front towards the brakes. It doesn't take much for all the dirt and dust the cars in front create to end up under the pads or worse. In many cases, a thorough (wheel) wash will fix the squeaking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe this is a noob question but do all L494s have Brembo brakes? I recently bought my '17 with a fairly low 12k on the odometer and the front brakes had already been replaced once. I can't tell if the squeaking is coming from the front or back but it's incredibly annoying and loud. And there's plenty of pad left on both, even the ones that didn't get replaced. I have Brembo brakes on my other car and they tend to start squeaking pre-maturely too, but not as loudly or so soon with such low mileage like on my L494. So I'm starting to think I need a better non-OEM pad that fits these Brembo calipers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
129 Posts
These Range Rovers had a poor design of airflow from the front towards the brakes. It doesn't take much for all the dirt and dust the cars in front create to end up under the pads or worse. In many cases, a thorough (wheel) wash will fix the squeaking.
I’m thinking this is the first part of a two part equation. I can see the impurities being heated up and forming a varnish on the surface of the rotor.

I can see drilled or slotted rotors being of some benefit as more dirt can escape the contact surface before it gets too hot and bakes on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update. I've been away for 3 days with my car parked and not being driven at all. I get back in the car, drive 25 miles in a 3 hour period and not one squeaking sound. Only when I pull up to park do I then hear the squeaky sound. Would this indicate that it could be build up of dust contributing to the sound? If so, apart from slotted rotors/discs is there anything a dealer or a garage could be doing to prevent this? I ask as I've got my car booked in at the dealership in 2 weeks time and it'll be good to know where to direct their attention.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quick update. I've been away for 3 days with my car parked and not being driven at all. I get back in the car, drive 25 miles in a 3 hour period and not one squeaking sound. Only when I pull up to park do I then hear the squeaky sound. Would this indicate that it could be build up of dust contributing to the sound? If so, apart from slotted rotors/discs is there anything a dealer or a garage could be doing to prevent this? I ask as I've got my car booked in at the dealership in 2 weeks time and it'll be good to know where to direct their attention.
I’d buy a couple cans of CRC brake cleaner. The “original” formula (chlorinated, red and white can) to try to dissolve whatever film you can. Comes with a tube so you can reach places with the wheel on.

As tempting as it is, I think the official word is NOT to spray it on hot brakes. I assume anything aerosol is flammable. I would err on the side of more chemical vs. trying to heat up the disc to clean it better. Heat baked the dirt on, won’t make it easier to get off.

If you’re feeling adventurous and want to take something abrasive to the discs in an attempt to grind off the surface varnish, please be mindful of what may leave a residue that could be slippery when it’s all put back together.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Brembos came with the V8 models and the special HST/HSE dynamic V6 models. I think in 17 or 18+ LR moved away from Brembo thus the calipers have "Land Rover" on them instead, is that right?

At any rate the OEM pads squeak--I had three pairs of them changed out under warranty in the first 15k of usage and it only got worse with each successive pair. Ceramic aftermarket is the way to go--not squeak free but much better, as well as little to no dust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brembos came with the V8 models and the special HST/HSE dynamic V6 models. I think in 17 or 18+ LR moved away from Brembo thus the calipers have "Land Rover" on them instead, is that right?

At any rate the OEM pads squeak--I had three pairs of them changed out under warranty in the first 15k of usage and it only got worse with each successive pair. Ceramic aftermarket is the way to go--not squeak free but much better, as well as little to no dust.
Do you have an aftermarket ceramic pad brand you'd recommend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d buy a couple cans of CRC brake cleaner. The “original” formula (chlorinated, red and white can) to try to dissolve whatever film you can. Comes with a tube so you can reach places with the wheel on.

As tempting as it is, I think the official word is NOT to spray it on hot brakes. I assume anything aerosol is flammable. I would err on the side of more chemical vs. trying to heat up the disc to clean it better. Heat baked the dirt on, won’t make it easier to get off.

If you’re feeling adventurous and want to take something abrasive to the discs in an attempt to grind off the surface varnish, please be mindful of what may leave a residue that could be slippery when it’s all put back together.

Thanks ddm2k, I've got the CRC brake cleaner on order and it should be here shortly. I managed to return to the garage who fit the new pads and discs today and the near side front caliper will need replacing as one of the pistons has seized and is a bit sticky. Trying my best to identify all potential issues before returning to the dealership at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've used disc italia twice now and they work fine. You can get them from brakeworld.com.

Some others have liked EBC but I haven't used personally.

Dealers won't likely use the pads but I had a local tire place do it with no issues and for much cheaper labor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
Hodog16
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing