RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had trouble finding oil extraction instructions online and thought the following might be helpful. The following outlines instructions related to engine oil extraction on a 2014 - 2018 Range Rover Sport Td6 3.0 Diesel Engine. The oil extraction port is located on the passenger side of the engine. It is a 1/4" metal port, covered by a quarter turn spring loaded cover. After removing the oil fill cap, the engine oil can be extracted by a pneumatic, hand pump or electric pump extractor. A 1/4" ID tube is required to fit over the port. Hot engine oil will full extract in 15 - 20 minutes.

The oil filter or element is handily located atop of the engine, under the engine cover. It requires a 32mm socket or wrench to loosen and remove. Kits are available online, referenced in the below video. Many synthetic oils are available. LandRover has a partnership with Castrol. Be careful to purchase European spec ACEA C2 synthetic oil (made for modern diesel engines with after-treatment exhaust).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcOVtRDAdc

I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding the video and hope this helps some owners who prefer to DYI some of their maintenance.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
408 Posts
Thanks for the video, but it looks like you put in the incorrect oil - nowhere on the bottle of LiquiMoly does it show the JLR spec, unless I missed it?

According to the workshop manual, this is the oil spec you should be using:
Engine oil vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) 5W/30 – WSS–M2C934–B
Engine oil without (DPF) 5W/30 – WSS–M2C913–C

According to LiquiMoly, the TopTec 4500 is the one you should be using, not the 4200: Top Tec 4500 5W-30

Not all 5w30 oils are equal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts