RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
22 Posts
How do you find the wind noise @twscoot ?

I think I need to wait until I get the other 2 feet before I figure out what size wedges i need (the 5mm or 10mm ones - QMW05 or QMW10). Which ones did you use?

There's also the 10mm to 30mm (QMHD10 - QMHD30) spacers as well. I'm hoping I wont need a combination of the wedges and spacers to get it level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quite a bit of wind noise (I also have an awning) but I can live with it. Will take it off when I’m not touring and replace with the crossbars.
I used the 5mm spacers on the back only. It’s very sturdy and I will be travelling with an awning, complete spare wheel, set of Maxtrax and the Rhino ladder and don’t feel I need six feet.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
22 Posts
Do you have any photos of how big the space is behind that panel on the left hand side of the boot? Thinking I could mount a compressor in there :sneaky:

I'll see how it goes with just four feet. I'm semi worried with the weight I intend to carry that four feet will make it bow in the middle or put to much pressure on them, Not a fan of plastic being used as structural components!

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I mounted maxtrax last night I was sitting up on the platform with absolutely no flex.
Here’s a few photos of the hatch install.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
22 Posts
Rack arrived today! :D

Started installing it and quickly realised you 100% need the 5mm wedges (QMW05) on the rear. Without them when you're trying to lock it in, the rear wants to pull up when you push on the front, so it's putting huge pressure on the locking pins and the bolt connecting the feet to the platform. I expect I might need to get some QMHD10 spacers as well to raise it ever so slightly to fit the light bar in, see how I go.

Going to see if I can try and source the wedge's locally tomorrow so I can get this thing on!

Regardless of how "quick" it's intended to be removed, you definitely need two tall people to install/take it off. Would have loved to see my neighbours face seeing me do it by myself... It's only 22kg but awkward as **** to manhandle.

Hey @twscoot, so I can cheat :LOL: where did you mount your feet on the rails, and what mounting measurements on the rack itself? I've currently got the front feet 75mm back and the rear feet 300mm forward of the ends of the aluminium rail (not the end of the plastic bit).

·
Registered
15 Posts
You’ve interrupted me from my beer and the rugby.... 😎
10mm to the front of the front foot
260mm to the back of the rear foot.
Not including the plastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have any photos of how big the space is behind that panel on the left hand side of the boot? Thinking I could mount a compressor in there :sneaky:

I'll see how it goes with just four feet. I'm semi worried with the weight I intend to carry that four feet will make it bow in the middle or put to much pressure on them, Not a fan of plastic being used as structural components!
One of the guys in BNE put a ARB hi output compressor in that spot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where are you guys located? I never see another L494 when I go offroading in my svr. I feel like i am on borrowed time going out with no spare tire. No roof rack here, but I am loading a intech trailer down pretty good with water tanks, jerry cans, 23 zero shower, joolca hottap.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
Nice! Here’s a few photos of my setup. Paid $749 for the platform and $150 for the feet. (Added a 5mm wedge riser to the rear feet which makes it sit a little better).
Note the black marine hatch on the left in the boot. Easy install and provides access to a massive unused area behind.
Love this setup!
Do you have the opening glass panoramic roof by chance?
Looking to install the pioneer platform but not sure if height will be an issue as i have the opening roof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love this setup!
Do you have the opening glass panoramic roof by chance?
Looking to install the pioneer platform but not sure if height will be an issue as i have the opening roof.
No panoramic roof but I’d be surprised if the platform got in the way.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
22 Posts
One of the guys in BNE put a ARB hi output compressor in that spot.

View attachment 287440
That's EXACTLY what I'm planning on doing, I don't think that's an L494 though. I've found a company in WA "AutoElecOZ" who have done some work on L494's and Disco 5's including dual battery setups, DC chargers, brake controllers etc. I've contacted them because it looks like they've got a bolt on kit (L494 Dual Battery Setup).

ARB have a sale on at the moment so I'm getting them to quote on a twin compressor/tank as well as some other goodies ;)

I bought these Maxtrax holders (Maxtrax Flush Mounting Brackets), a little issue that the designer/fabricator is sorting out and sending me a new set so I can mount them parallel to the rack. Quality otherwise is fantastic and means I can get four tracks sitting on there fairly low profile which was the main goal.

Wind noise, yeah it's there but really not as bad as I expected. Under 60 there's zero noise, 60-80 is when it kicks in and at 100/110 you're fully aware there's a roof rack but we've got for some 1-2 hour drives and after a while you don't start to notice it. I'm not sure having the fixed glass panoramic roof changes things but I'll reserve final judgement with the 50" light bar comes in. I suspect that will either make it a little better acting as a wind break, or will make it worse.

Ladder, spare wheel holder, folding aerial bracket and gas bottle holder will be arriving this week. Awaiting for STEDI to get more stock before I can place an order.

Once all that gear comes in, I can then lay everything out and position it where it needs to go before wiring the GME XRS and camp lights up.

I've come to the realisation that the 270XT awning will just not work on this vehicle, so I'm now on the hunt for a 180 degree awning.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I'm planning on doing, I don't think that's an L494 though. I've found a company in WA "AutoElecOZ" who have done some work on L494's and Disco 5's including dual battery setups, DC chargers, brake controllers etc. I've contacted them because it looks like they've got a bolt on kit (L494 Dual Battery Setup).

View attachment 287655

ARB have a sale on at the moment so I'm getting them to quote on a twin compressor/tank as well as some other goodies ;)

I bought these Maxtrax holders (Maxtrax Flush Mounting Brackets), a little issue that the designer/fabricator is sorting out and sending me a new set so I can mount them parallel to the rack. Quality otherwise is fantastic and means I can get four tracks sitting on there fairly low profile which was the main goal.

Wind noise, yeah it's there but really not as bad as I expected. Under 60 there's zero noise, 60-80 is when it kicks in and at 100/110 you're fully aware there's a roof rack but we've got for some 1-2 hour drives and after a while you don't start to notice it. I'm not sure having the fixed glass panoramic roof changes things but I'll reserve final judgement with the 50" light bar comes in. I suspect that will either make it a little better acting as a wind break, or will make it worse.

Ladder, spare wheel holder, folding aerial bracket and gas bottle holder will be arriving this week. Awaiting for STEDI to get more stock before I can place an order.

Once all that gear comes in, I can then lay everything out and position it where it needs to go before wiring the GME XRS and camp lights up.

I've come to the realisation that the 270XT awning will just not work on this vehicle, so I'm now on the hunt for a 180 degree awning.

View attachment 287640 View attachment 287641 View attachment 287642 View attachment 287643
Looking great!
Exactly the setup I'm going for.

Where do you plan on running the wiring for the light bar and GME aerial?
I would love to get a bracket that would be able sit the whip just in front of the right wing mirror. Have seen them fitted in 200 series LandCruiser and they look perfect.

Let me know how you go with AutoElecOz. I've spoken with them previously but they didn't have kits available.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts