RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Thought I might post a few details on the rack set up on my RRS L494.

First here are a couple of photos:

RRS L494 Camping.jpg RRS L494 Dusty.jpg

Ok so the rack is a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Tray RR-42101B which is 1528mmx1376mm. This platform is mounted using the RR-RLT600 quick release feet onto the Range Rover Sport Trackset from Rhino Rack RR-RTS551. This allows me to easily remove the whole rack in the garage when not in use.

Also fitted are the MaxTrax holder RR-43159, with the Locking Shovel Holder (RR RSHB-L) mounted to this directly.

The awning is the Darche 180 degree awning https://darche.com.au/product/eclipse-180-awning/

I am really happy with all of this equipment - the awning is amazing and really easy to put up and down.

The rack itself is great - only downside is the wind noise. lots of it.

Hope this is useful information.

Cam.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Doesn't Rhino have wind deflectors for front of their tray kits? With most roof racks the worst of the noise is cause from where the air stream comes up the windshield and hits the roof rack edge. The air stream is split between going under the rack and whatever is in it and going over what ever is in it. The air flow between the roof and rack is very turbulent and have big glass panel right above your ears does not help. Perhaps you can fabricate a deflector that matches your rig, trim or the tray?It's a world of difference at highway speeds. You can reach your destination without hearing wind noise for the hour after you arrive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same Rack. To reduce the wind noise I had to buy a Wind deflector and tie ropes around the front and back of the rack and it helps alot. IMG_20190113_150605.jpg IMG_20190113_154032.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great to see people using their Range Rovers for what they were built for. The main issue I found was not being able to carry sufficient weight on my roof rack and so I had some rails designed and fabricated which enables me now to fit a lot more weight, spare tire etc on my roof rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great to see people using their Range Rovers for what they were built for. The main issue I found was not being able to carry sufficient weight on my roof rack and so I had some rails designed and fabricated which enables me now to fit a lot more weight, spare tire etc on my roof rack.
What size rack have you got? Or Rhino model?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
30 Posts
I love the modification's you've made! I have also been somewhat frustrated by the lack of weight the standard crossbars can handle, and will definitely be looking into the rack solution you've identified. I only do light-to-medium off-roading, though (some trails, but mostly in deep beach sand), and haven't been able to justify any wheel or tire modifications to myself since the truck hasn't been close to being stopped yet!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
30 Posts
Quick question - how much weight can the Rhino rack take using the Rhino roof attachments?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saw your car at LRP in BNE - very nice! I’ve got a Black pack Vogue L405 - looking to add a Front Runner rack which looks pretty good

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went for a Frontrunner rack fixed with 6 feet on same brand tracks. Tracks were not very easy to fit as roof is curved in 3Ds. Wind deflector is efficient and noise is quite limited up to 100 km/h (65 mph), anyway I'm not driving much faster when overlanding fully loaded. I also made myself accessories to mount Rotopax cans, spare wheel and box. All this survived my 5800 km (3600 miles) trip to Morocco out of which lots of stony and sandy offroad. I also built drawers to well organize personal stuff and equipment. A fridge was also integrated. Lots of working hours but great satisfaction to have everything accessible.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
21 Posts
Hey guys!

First time posting here.

I’ve got a 2015 SE TDV6 and looking at setting it up for touring/overlanding which includes a roof rack. The part numbers in the OP’s post are no longer on Rhino Rack’s website so what parts fit and what do I need?

I’m planning on putting two Stedi LED work lights on each side (ST3301 7.5 INCH 4 CREE LED WORK LIGHT), a curved light bar on the front of the rack (Curved 40.5 inch ST2K Super Drive 16 LED Light Bar) and the GME XRS Connect UHF (XRS Connect 4WD Pack).

The main goal is to make it removable, so I just want to have three plugs to connect (light bar, work lights and UHF). No idea how to get power up there... or where to put the switches! Land Rover made no provisions for accessories in the sport!

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
21 Posts
Ok so I’ve done some more research into my intended setup.

The Rhino Rack 42101B Pioneer Platform has been replaced by the 52101, it’s the same dimensions as the 42101B (1528x1376mm) but a slightly different design. Retail price is $1099. Heeding the advise from you guys I’ll also be installing the 43250 wind fairing.

The RTS551 track set looks like it’s a bit hard to get a hold off, but this retails for $288.

The RLT600 feet retail for $226 for a set of 4. As with camsRRS I want the whole setup to be removable without needing tooling. The RTL600 feet will enable this so I’m happy.

From what I can see you do not need to get any Land Rover parts such as the VPLWR0104 roof rails or VPLWR0108 rail finishers as you reuse and cut down the existing rail finishers according to the instructions for the RTS551 track set (https://assets.rhinorack.com/Instructions/Parts/Tracks/RTS551.pdf).

As I want to put the STEDI 50.8” curved Lightbar (LEDST2K-50-20L) mounted to the front, I need to use the BRKRHINO-RACK-OPT bracket to secure it to the rack. The flood lights I’ve selected are the STEDI LED3520-7-18W. I still plan to place two down each side to provide flood light for when setting up camp, and when it’s safe to light light the sides to better see animals on the side of the road. Those coupled with the curved light bar and a STEDI LED3303-PRO-24L Lightbar mounted in front of the grill using the STEDI ROVER-SPORT-BRK bracket.

Reason I’m going heavy on lighting is I’ve previously hit a big kangaroo at 100kph in the rain at night and it destroyed my car and came through the windscreen (wasn’t pretty...), didn’t even see it as my car at the time just had standard halogen bulbs. Since then I go mega overkill on all my vehicles with lighting, front and rear.

I have a set of four Maxtrax which I plan to mount flush onto the platform (not on an angle overhanging on one side).

I’m 50/50 at the moment whether I want to install the Rhino Rack folding ladder (RAFL) as an easier way to be access what ever I have the platform.

The last thing I want to utilise the platform for is to mount a UHF antenna. I’ve settled on the GME XRS Connect with the standard 2.1db stubby antenna, however mounted via the Rhino Rack 43196 folding aerial bracket. I want it to be as low profile as possible so I don’t have any issues getting into car parks/garages etc.

Shopping List:

52101 - $1088
RTS551 - $288
RLT600 - $226
43250 - $203
43196 - $102
RAFL - $356
LED3303-PRO-24L - $370
LEDST2K-50-20L - $540
LED3520-7-18W - $35 x 4 ($140)
BRKRHINO-RACK-OPT - $99
ROVER-SPORT-BRK - $349

Total - AUD$3,761 (Retail)

Expensive? Yeah a little bit but to be honest we don’t own RRS because they’re cheap... lol That’s retail prices and I’m confident I could get that price to under $3,000 including the ladder, remove that and it’s ~$2,650.

I need and want it to serve a purpose (much like the draw system I’m designing for the back), so although costs is a consideration it’s secondary for this particular item.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be running the cables, and installing switches in the cabin. It’s just not a vehicle that you can get infill panels or have mounting options for accessories like a 200 series Land cruiser. I’m going to try and run them all down the drivers side a pillar behind the windshield moulding and maybe get them into the center console in a custom control panel to house the switches and radio.

This is the light pattern from the 50” curved LED light bar. I absolutely love how it has a wide horizontal beam that would be then complimented by the pencil beam down the middle from the smaller grill mounted light bar, plus what ever light OEM headlights/fog lights produced.

This is the light spread from the 7” flood lights, so with two of these down both sides I expect to have a good 180 degree lighting coverage while driving.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
This sounds like a really interesting project. I hope that you keep us updated on your progress and share your final results with the community.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
21 Posts
So I’ve found the awning I want, The Bush Company 270 XT (270 XT Awning | The Bush Company Australia).

There is one small problem, as it’s a 270 degree one it will not clear the tail gate when it’s up... Could I get a 180 degree or just a standard square one, sure, but I want this one! Haha

To get around this i’ve thinking of using the same mechanism that Patriot Campers use on their camper trailers.

It’s a gas assisted scissor mechanism that raises the awning up to provide greater clearance, if i had these attached to the rack to lift the 270 awning up, it would then clear the tailgate.

If it all starts to get too hard I’ll probably just go a 180 degree, but there aren’t to many freestanding ones. That’s the major draw card for me, being able to set it up in 30 seconds without the need for poles, guy ropes and pegs is fantastic.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
21 Posts
Some parts have started to arrive, mainly the RTS551 rails and RLT600 feet. I picked up the rails for $250 and the feet for $150, so a saving of around 22% at $115 off RRP.

Was a pretty straight forward install, although cutting the rail covers was a measure twice cut once experience. Unknown to me those pieces are actually extruded aluminium! For some reason I always thought they were plastic.

Took about 40 minutes all up as I took my time.

I really really like how low profile the rails are, especially compared to the Land Rover OEM options, they sit about 10mm above the roof line and almost look like they’re factory. It does look like the car has little ears when you have the bases of the RL600 feet installed.

I’m putting together an install video on how to do it to make it easier for anyone that wants to attempt it in the future.

Rails are good quality and fitment was near perfect. All stainless hardware.

Next on the list is the Rhino Rack 52101 platform, I’m watching one at the moment for $967 which is only about 12% discount. With end of financial year sales expected to start soon, I might hold off to see if I can get a better a deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

View attachment 269710 View attachment 269712

Ok so the rack is a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Tray RR-42101B which is 1528mmx1376mm. This platform is mounted using the RR-RLT600 quick release feet onto the Range Rover Sport Trackset from Rhino Rack RR-RTS551. This allows me to easily remove the whole rack in the garage when not in use.

Also fitted are the MaxTrax holder RR-43159, with the Locking Shovel Holder (RR RSHB-L) mounted to this directly.

The awning is the Darche 180 degree awning Sign In

I am really happy with all of this equipment - the awning is amazing and really easy to put up and down.

Cam.
Hi folks,

View attachment 269710 View attachment 269712

The awning is the Darche 180 degree awning Sign In

Cam.
Your RRS looks very good.
I wonder how will look with Rhino Rack 1828 mm long roof tray.

Do you think I can use full frame tray like 1800mm long. At the moment I have Thule Basket + extension 1780mm x 1100 mm wide and it looks very well, but from my prospect I need more space on top. The Thule is only 1100mm wide.

I want to try this one: #52108 - Pioneer Platform (1828mm x 1426mm) |
unfortunately, here in my country I can't find a supplier or similar product in stock.

I'll appreciete your answer about my idea for full frame tray on top of RRS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! Here’s a few photos of my setup. Paid $749 for the platform and $150 for the feet. (Added a 5mm wedge riser to the rear feet which makes it sit a little better).
Note the black marine hatch on the left in the boot. Easy install and provides access to a massive unused area behind.

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
21 Posts
I measured mine out over the weekend to see how it would look on the roof and I think the 1828mm long platform would be too long for the RST511 rails. There would be a lot of overhang on the front. I think the 52101 is the biggest Rhino Rack Platform you could safely put on the RRS.

From watching a few people on YouTube about their experiences with roof racks, I've decided to put another two RLT600 feet (RLT600H) so I'll have a total of 6 connecting the platform to the rails. The downside to this is the front and rear feet will require some small spacers as the curvature of the roof will mean the middle feet will act as a fulcrum. I don't actually mind this as I need the platform raised anyway to help give as much clearance as possible for the 270XT awning I've still got my heart set on. I see it as having 6 feet connecting the platform to the car means there would be ZERO chance of something random happening like the weigh shifting and the rack coming off under emergency braking, and would space the weight out more evenly across the roof.

I've also ordered the following parts:

RGBH4
RAFL
RSWH
Maxtrax Flush Mounting Bracket Kit

I've received the LED3520-7-18W's and BRKRHINO-RACK-OPT bracket from STEDI.

My plan is to build and layout the whole platform on the ground first as I need to fit the following:

50" light bar - 5.8kg
Worklights - 1.5kg
Spare Wheel/Tyre - ~35kg (estimated)
4 x Maxtrax - 13.6kg
4kg Gas Bottle - ~8.5kg full
Pelican Case - 5.75kg dry
Awning - 27kg

So i'm up to ~98kg already and that doesn't include the platform and feet either which is another 24kg, so technically I'm overweight... :mad: by like ALOT...

I reckon fully loaded with all the gear I need it'll be around 135kg total load... more than double what's safe off road and 35kg's over Land Rovers specifications. As a result I need to rethink some things as the RRS can only hold 100kg, taking into accounts Rhino Rack's 1.5 safety factor that leaves 65kg total load for safe off road use. F&#K!

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s the 52110 on my vehicle so you are correct. Rhino make 5mm and 10mm Spacers too which as they’re wedge shaped would work at either end.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts