Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport AB
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Ive created this post to cover changing both the battery that are in the L494 Range Rover Sports (this also cover the L405 Full Range Rover)

2014 to 2016 models have larger main battery and a second aux (leisure battery)
2017 on I think the aux battery was replaced by a large capacitor (so best check in the rear of the car (its behind the "Cut out" in th boot/trunk) if you read the PDF attached to this post you can see how to get at it to check.

So main battery is EK950 Exide 95AH 850 CCA (crank power) AGM style battery
Aux Battery is EK151 Exide 15AH 200 CCS AGM battery

I know most of you guys are in the US so shop around but if you are in the UK use the Batterygroup.co.uk they are the best price with delivery you can do both batteries for under £180 delivered!

The process should be the same for the big Range Rover too as the layotu and car are pretty much the same and many parts are interchangeable.

This post is mainly for reference and to help anyone seaching the internet further down the line.

A quick note on programming new batteries, the choice is yours (if you have a tool or tame garage to do so) I have change both and not had to re-program or rest anything (one caveat is that I didnt have any errors or systems disabled prior to swapping them over) The car doesnt know its had a new battery but if the ecus have shut a system down to conserve battery power then this error might still appear after).

Good luck and hop it all goes well, if you are doing both of them Id probably do the little battery first as this is like the backup battery to run systems etc... to assit the main battery when ASS is active or has high demand for things like heated seats etc...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a US 2016 Sport Supercharged Dynamic and it looks like this model has the capacitor instead of an auxiliary battery, so looks like the change may have been earlier than 2017.

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport AB
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a US 2016 Sport Supercharged Dynamic and it looks like this model has the capacitor instead of an auxiliary battery, so looks like the change may have been earlier than 2017.
Yes I wasn't sure exactly when they changed over, or if only some models got the capacitor over the battery, in the early days maybe it depends on how many extras were fitted at the time, I guess they probably moved over to the capacitor in the end to save some weight possibly not sure the cap models suffer form the ASS stopping working. The battery might be the better option further down the line I guess depending on how much the capacitor cost to replace if it was needed. My guess would be the cap would last longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts