Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crazy idea to get an L494 (AB) and trick it out seriously into an offroader. Lift it, bigger wheels and tires, roof rack. + more. I really think an L494 would be superb tricked out like this, people are doing it with Cayennes and it's impressive. Basically I'd use this as a serious offroader.

The only problem is, I can't really find much reference. (other L494's on instagram, parts vendors). Does anyone follow on the socials a truck like the one I'd be describing? If so would appreciate any tips.

· Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
864 Posts
You really don't need to lift it, just get a Gap tool to manually control the height, fit some nice AT tyres, and you're good to go.

Even on road tyres, the L494 is mighty off-road - I've done some trails where the Jeep crowd with their super tricked out Wranglers stare open-mouthed when they see an RRS cresting the top of a mountain on road tyres

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,478 Posts
You really don't need to lift it, just get a Gap tool to manually control the height, fit some nice AT tyres, and you're good to go.

Even on road tyres, the L494 is mighty off-road - I've done some trails where the Jeep crowd with their super tricked out Wranglers stare open-mouthed when they see an RRS cresting the top of a mountain on road tyres

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
You've got that right! My wife drives a 15' Wrangler Rubicon they pretty much come stock now (I built my TJ, I bought the JK, hahaah), with Locking Dana 44 Axles, a 4" Foxx Suspension Spring/Coil Lift, Heavy Duty Drive-Shafts, Onboard-Air Compressor, Beefed up Tranny and TC-Case, Body Armour all 4 corners/sides, front, and back... a 12,500lbs rated Winch, <5> 35" Nitto Mud Terrains.

The only advantage the Jeep has over my Rover is the Mud-Terrains, the Winch (it's a real "B" to fabricate a Winch Mount on a Rover), and obviously the outside Body Armor plating. Even still, I'd put the Rover up against 90% Plus of what we've taken the Rubicon thru, even fording water! The Rover has a better Transfer Case, Engine-Power, Outside Air Intake (higher up), Terrain Management System, Automatically Locking Axles, Full-Time 4wheel-Drive, Tow-Rating, and etc, etc, but you get the picture. So with just a set of 32" Nitto Mud Terrains (stock tires are 31" so no problem fitting a true 32" tire), it will beat out the Wranger at a lot. A roof rack would be nice for an extra matching full-sized tire/rim and Jerry Cans but not a real absolute.

Both Jeep Rubicon's and Range Rover's come outfitted pretty nicely stock off the lot!

Reactions: naks

· Registered
1 Posts
I use mine off road quite a bit. All of the mods I made are bolt on/bolt off so it's easy to take it back to stock should I ever want to sell it. I do recommend true off road tires on 19" rims since street tires will pop if you do anything with rocks, ruts or such. I installed the 1.5" lift Johnson Rods and installed some serious off road lights front and rear since we do some camping and the lights come in handy if it's late in the day and you need to lights to set up camp (or find a place to camp). I also carry a tow strap and traction boards. So far, I've only been stuck once (in sand) and that was more driver error than the RR.
Sky Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I use mine off road quite a bit. All of the mods I made are bolt on/bolt off so it's easy to take it back to stock should I ever want to sell it. I do recommend true off road tires on 19" rims since street tires will pop if you do anything with rocks, ruts or such. I installed the 1.5" lift Johnson Rods and installed some serious off road lights front and rear since we do some camping and the lights come in handy if it's late in the day and you need to lights to set up camp (or find a place to camp). I also carry a tow strap and traction boards. So far, I've only been stuck once (in sand) and that was more driver error than the RR. View attachment 298249
Beautiful and capable rig... Air down those tires to 20psi and both watch and feel them become more amazing... They will be super grippy and resistant to punchture by 2 fold. WIth MT's that come with Triple Ply sidewalls such as BFG and Nitto MT's it's really hard to puncture them when aired down even on 20"+ rims for sure! Either way, love the rim/tires, push bar, lights, and Johnsons...

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I don't know if is your idea still alive but i post mine, it's a 5.0 SC with 20' BF KO2 an lift kit by IIDTOOL
View attachment 305186
View attachment 305187
View attachment 305188
View attachment 305185
I View attachment 305184
View attachment 305183
@vascofamily2008

Dude, TOTAL BAD-AZZ-ROVER and Rig Set-Up... That is legit awesome and a great Rig you have there on the BFG's! Your Rover's color scheme and accents are basically the same as mine in the Fugi White with the Black Accents too as you have good taste brother. The lift and tire combo works well too both on and off road for sure! I'm really digging the Roof-Rails and Cargo Capacity your over head rigging offers as well. That is about as sleek of a design as I've ever seen yet offers what appears to be Maximum Cargo Capacity as well... Kinda like having your cake and eating it as well which is almost never achievable! Please tell us (you can PM me of course) more about your roof rails and cargo kit for sure...

Excellent job on your Lift, Tires, Cargo-Kit, Roof Rack, and overall color/combo looks thereof as well! Definitely my top 5 favorite Rover's I've seen on this site!

-Hams

1 - 10 of 10 Posts