RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just had the roof rails installed on my 2019 RRS L494.

Now, when trying to install the actual rack, I notice that the rails' shape, taking into account the lengthy plastic part covering the screws ("N" and "P" in the instruction manual), does not leave enough "depth" to fasten the rack without deforming said plastic part. This goes for JLRs original part as well as Thule's Kit 4019. Both need far more depth than is available. That can't be.

Does anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
Re: L494 (2019) root rail issue

I have rails on my 2015, not sure if that matters, but no problems/deforming when fitting the Thule bars.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Maybe you received the wrong Thule feet?. Mine fit ok, however, having said that, the plastic cover strips don't seem all that stable, 1 of mine flew away at some point - I don't have my bars on all the time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the answers. The problem is with both the original JLR parts as well as the Thule kit.

Anyway, dealer (who mounted the rails) acknowledged that there is something wrong and will take a closer look on Jun 3.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts

I have Thule Fit Kit 4039 which works fine and grips the top of the rail and not the strips. The plastic strips are a pain and I had to glue them in after losing one at a car wash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Correction: It's in fact the Thule 4039 that I have, not a "4019". Memory error...

·
Registered
39 Posts

There are 2 positions of the screw hole on each rail by default. You can drill extra holes if you want. But, the default holed position (where the screw is locked in from the crossbar) are good enough for mounting roofbox.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Problem solved, turns our the plastic strips weren't clipped-in properly. They were only fixed at the ends, but the guy installing it obviously wasn't wearing his glasses and missed the fact that there is an indentation for that strip in the metal rail in order to hold in place over its entire length.

Those people don't know their own products. Should have done that work myself...

@sand8: I was talking about the outside of the rails, not the inside.

·
Registered
39 Posts

OK. good. Yes, the plastic cover is not the best quality or design for the price of the rail. I normally tighten the screw until I see the plastic cover started to deform and stop. Check the roofbox every stop just to be sure it is secured.
I think I read somewhere that this plastic cover can dislodge just by going at highway speed if the clip is broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts