RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering to get a full fat RR, next time, instead of a Sport.

Why did you guys opt for Sports and not the full fat model? When I look at the trim levels people are getting on the forum I don't really think price is the major decision point.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Folks, how about using proper model terms instead of that "full fat" rubbish.:roll:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too would go full size but I like to have my vehicles in the garage and the the larger model won't fit the office parking garage and would be tight at home.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I too would go full size but I like to have my vehicles in the garage and the the larger model won't fit the office parking garage and would be tight at home.
Although they don’t look it, the Full size and sport are the exact same width.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correct on width but the RR is 6" longer than the RRS even if the have the same wheelbase.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
Correct on width but the RR is 6" longer than the RRS even if the have the same wheelbase.
It's actually 4.8". It's 196.8" for the regular wheelbase full-size RR vs. 192" for the RRS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the number from the Italian brochure (2015), RR 499.87cm VS 485.50cm= 14.37cm=5.65" and I round them to 6".
Maybe the USA brochure have a diff size...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I looked on the JRL TMQ (Transport Quality Manual)for USA market and for the L405 SWB 4999mm and for the L494 4850mm. For the wheelbase the L494 in 1mm longer.
You are free to translate that in inches...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got the number from the Italian brochure (2015), RR 499.87cm VS 485.50cm= 14.37cm=5.65" and I round them to 6".
Maybe the USA brochure have a diff size...
US brochures for both vehicles for 2019 shows 196.8" for L405 and 192" for L494. Feel free to translate back to metric.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe the 2018 model get 1" increase.

All technical data sheets for L494 (2014-2017) show 4850mm=190.94", these are much reliable than a brochure in my point of view.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
For the price I paid ($90k) in 2015, I could have gotten the L494 SCV8 with a few options or a very basic L405, not even HSE. I decided to go for the more fun route as it was my first LR product.

For the next go-round, I will likely go full size and either stretch to a nice HSE or get the faster engine with a few options.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Velar, Range Rover Evoque. It's easy. So the thread title, correctly: Range Rover or Range Rover Sport?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Velar, Range Rover Evoque. It's easy. So the thread title, correctly: Range Rover or Range Rover Sport?
Got it, thank you! I'm still learning all of this myself, as this is my first. And I think, from a layman's observation, it makes it even tougher to understand because they all say Range Rover across the hood and tailgate. I have never really known what to call the big one's either, so for sake of argument, when my wife and I talk about it, I keep telling her I want a "big dog." Because if I were to tell her I want a Range Rover, she'd tell me I already have one. And for what I just paid for my RRS, I could've made a "big dog" happen!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
there's nothing wrong with the big dog nickname :)
my wife consistently calls the Sport the "dynamic" and the other one the "mammoth".

Still, we prefer to call them their proper name on this forum. When one's really stuck, the model numbers (494, 405) can help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
With the latest generation of l405/ l494, I have chosen sport. The autobiography sport is a bargain compared to any l405 and drives much better. I could have had a well optioned l405 for the price of my SVR but it wouldn’t have had nearly the personality.

My $0.02

·
Registered
183 Posts
When it was time to get my wife a new (CPO) car recently as her 2012 GL550 was starting to age rapidly, I tried to steer her to the L494. We set up an appointment to go drive one, and when we got there, she took one look at it and declared it was "too small". We pivoted right away to the L405 and she drove it and loved it. The L405 is really comfortable and drives light-years better than her GL550 did. I ended up going back the following weekend to drive a new Silicon Silver SCV8 L494 - I loved it and would have bought the car on the spot if not for the seats. They were just a little too firm for me and lacked seat cushion adjustment. I sat in an HSE that had the upgraded 22-way seats and went inside and ordered my ATB, so we'll have two Range Rovers in the family in the next couple of weeks when it arrives.

·
Registered
74 Posts
IMO the Sport is sexier, sportier, handles better and I think better looking and more modern looking than the FF on the outside. To me the FF looks outdated and I believe an all new FF is coming 2021. That being said, for me, I acquired my current Sport almost 4 years ago when I was single with no kids. The FF was just too big for my needs. Now complete 180. Married and 2 little kids. My wife hates the rear legroom on the Sport and tells me I need to “grow up” and get a LWB FF now that my Sport lease is coming up and we have kids. It’s a struggle and I need to pull the trigger on an order in the next couple weeks. Price is not a major factor like you said but it is a factor. Based on my specs the FF would be a $500 higher payment and I really prefer to have the I6 than a V8 for daily use. I have plenty of other cars where I can get my kicks with. At the end of the day this is no longer about me but what’s best for the wife and kids, even though she has her own SUV. If not for that, Sport all day long. But I think maybe I need to grow up ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the same dilemma. Wife complains we need more room, last two cars were RR Sport MY 2016 and MY 2019.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts