RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on here have experience with the 22" wheels with the stock a/s tires on L405? we only have a month or maybe two left of winter here so i am not sure i would purchase a dedicated winter tire now but i would for next year. how well did the factory tires perform in cold temperatures and snow/slush etc? any issues once there was substantial accumulation?

i have used 21" winter tires and wheels on my Q7 and had it in nearly two feet of snow and ice in negative temperatures without issue... i am hoping this is the case with the RR but would like to confirm with others who have first hand experience and not just cyber-speculation.

Worked out well... 12-16" of snow and 11-14 degree temps:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
119 Posts
Mine was a danger to everyone in the County on the factory tires in ice and snow.

Sad way to deliver a truck which supposedly can go anywhere.

Installed Blizzaks on 19 inch wheels and life is good again.

Check Tire Rack.

They shipped me the wrong tire pressure sensors so make sure you give them your VIN number.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I was at Mammoth over Christmas, when they got quite a bit of snow. My first stop sign, right outside our condo ... I slid right into the curb and missed a street sign by 2 inches. I used to live in the northeast and drove sports cars and sedans with summer tires during bad winters, so I'm not a novice winter driver. My OEM 21" tires on the RR were barely ok, as long as I drove very slowly in town.

I don't consider your photos a good example of how a car performs in snow ... the real test is in the ability to precisely maneuver and stop in traffic with other cars and obstacles only inches away.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the photos weren't so much to prove performance but to illustrate i have ample experience driving in the northeast mountains with severe ice and snow. the photos were taken before we received a massive storm that weekend. we had a foot and half of snow overnight and the temperatures the following night froze everything into ice. the vehicle did not have any issues maneuvering through ruts or turns and majority of the driving was done off-road. it is equipped with dedicated winter/snow & ice tires so i didn't expect anything less than adequate performance but i was very pleased. i am curious if equipped properly will the 22" on the RR be just as good or possibly better (from the additional weight).

from what i understand the tires that come from the factory are just awful and should not be used in the winter. correct?

·
Registered
158 Posts
the photos weren't so much to prove performance but to illustrate i have ample experience driving in the northeast mountains with severe ice and snow. the photos were taken before we received a massive storm that weekend. we had a foot and half of snow overnight and the temperatures the following night froze everything into ice. the vehicle did not have any issues maneuvering through ruts or turns and majority of the driving was done off-road. it is equipped with dedicated winter/snow & ice tires so i didn't expect anything less than adequate performance but i was very pleased. i am curious if equipped properly will the 22" on the RR be just as good or possibly better (from the additional weight).

from what i understand the tires that come from the factory are just awful and should not be used in the winter. correct?
From what I have seen the option of factory types you get are (fellow forum members keep me honest):

- Pirelli Scorpion (All Weather on 19" & 21")
- Continental CrossContact LX (All Weather on 21" & 22")
- Goodyear F1 (Summer on 21" and M+S on 20")
- Michelin Latitude Sport << I have yet to see these on a L405 in the U.S., anyone else?

You can probably look up rating on tirerack or equivalent. I think it's harder to find 22" winter tires in general.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Perhaps it would be better to find an OEM 21" or 20" for winter use and forego looks for functionality.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
From what I have seen the option of factory types you get are (fellow forum members keep me honest):

- Pirelli Scorpion (All Weather on 19" & 21")
- Continental CrossContact LX (All Weather on 21" & 22")
- Goodyear F1 (Summer on 21" and M+S on 20")
- Michelin Latitude Sport << I have yet to see these on a L405 in the U.S., anyone else?

You can probably look up rating on tirerack or equivalent. I think it's harder to find 22" winter tires in general.
My 2015 RR ATB came with 21" Goodyear Eagle F1 with the M+S stamp.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 2015 RR ATB came with 21" Goodyear Eagle F1 with the M+S stamp.
Good to know -- can you confirm if you have these? Perhaps they are a special version for Land Rover. I've seen some take-offs on eBay with just the F1 SUV that are summer, not intended for Snow or ICE.

Nevermind, they have a AT version as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Concur with MDX on stock tires being passable if you are careful, should be OK to get through remainder of season. I have Nokians on 21's for winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far from what I've seen the 22" stock wheels come with continental cross contact LX tires that are M+S rated meaning they will handle some minimal snow but obviously not as well as a dedicated winter tire. Currently I'm running Pirelli scorpion winters on 21" wheels which have performed really well in ice, snow and dry roads. The tires that came stock on the 21" wheels were eagle F1's but they are summer tires, wouldn't dare drive on them when it's cold or icy.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
So far from what I've seen the 22" stock wheels come with continental cross contact LX tires that are M+S rated meaning they will handle some minimal snow but obviously not as well as a dedicated winter tire. Currently I'm running Pirelli scorpion winters on 21" wheels which have performed really well in ice, snow and dry roads. The tires that came stock on the 21" wheels were eagle F1's but they are summer tires, wouldn't dare drive on them when it's cold or icy.
Kind of funny that you got the 21" Eagle F1 summer version in Canada, but I purchased in balmy Florida and got the 21" Eagle F1 M+S
version. Makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
389 Posts
image.jpg

I have these on my 2016 ATB 22" wheels. We took it to Lake Tahoe and they performed just fine. There was plenty of snow but roads were fairly clear. We drove over snow patches close to incline village area and felt just as normal. In my view, they should work just fine in icy snowy conditions while taking usual precautions.

Here's tire rack ratings for these conti LX all weather tires. Ice/snow rating is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove all over in the mountains in the snow three weeks ago in my RR 15 which has factory 22 in rims and tires - in a blizzard at that and had no problems and didn't slide or kill anyone. In fact I took three people with 2wd vehicles to get snow chains. Drove around in the mountains for three days no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I drove all over in the mountains in the snow three weeks ago in my RR 15 which has factory 22 in rims and tires - in a blizzard at that and had no problems and didn't slide or kill anyone. In fact I took three people with 2wd vehicles to get snow chains. Drove around in the mountains for three days no problems.
Awesome!! :thumb:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
I have Continental M+S tyres on my 22 Style 7 wheels, used them only in the summer months. I have a set of 22 Continental Winter tyre for the winter season.
These are the ones Land Rover recommend as a 22 winter tyre, they're supposed to be good although I never had a chance to test them in extreme conditions.
No need to change wheel size or have a separate set of wheels, my dealer stores them for me and swaps tyre each season.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In winter time i use this on my car (truck) : CONTINENTAL WINTER Tyres 275/40 R22 108V XL "CROSSCONTACT WINTER"-the original Conti M+S suck in snow.

Hi CSK btw LOL

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No need to change wheel size or have a separate set of wheels, my dealer stores them for me and swaps tyre each season.
this is what i have done with vehicles in the past but with spare wheels and tires dedicated for winter and summer. i prefer to have a tire that is designed for one specific purpose so it will perform as best as possible and the vehicle will function as designed as opposed to having an all-season tire which will be mediocre all year around.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Hi Angel, yep same tyres I have, same car, we go to the same places, we both like Astons, are we/our wives related? :)

·
Banned
901 Posts
My 2cents....

In terms of the 4wd, the range rover will be superior to the Audi. The ediffs will lock up faster and send greater amounts of torque split. If you have a rear differential elocker then a RR will be far superior to an Audi. You will be able to send almost 100% of torque under 100 to one rear tire so you could have three tires on ice with zero coefficent of friction and still move up a hill if you had just one rear tire on.

On the electronic side the terrain response settings are pretty good. I mean driving to ghost towns above 12000 feet in a blizzard good. The shifting points are different and it holds first gear longer down ascents so you don't need to brake which can cause loss of traction.

I once heard for very deep snow mud setting may be better than Snow mode which is for snow and ice but with contact of a road beneath. The range rover shines off road and in snow with the right tires. The oem tires are going to limit the low traction performance of the rover.

The audi AWD system is very good, I would say far ahead of other car manufactures except for a few jeeps, g wagen which can completely lock up, maybe a few subarus. I think there are some older ralley oriented Audis that could completely lock up too, but the normal quattro won't, it won't have low range, or some of the electronics that RR has, which I would count at about a dozen which would aid in low traction driving.

Audi is excellent it is also more on-road focused.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts