RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a random clunk coming from the rear of my L405 when I accelerate from a stand still and sometimes when going over uneven surfaces. I checked the spare to see if it was loose but it wasn't...I also removed the spare to see if it was anything underneath it that was moving around but everything seemed snug. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
This is a long shot, but I remember a quite a while back that some were reporting the same problem, it was cause by fuel sloshing around in the Tank when it go below a certain level.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a long shot, but I remember a quite a while back that some were reporting the same problem, it was cause by fuel sloshing around in the Tank when it go below a certain level.

I don't recall anything sounding like fuel sloshing around...it sounds more like something is hitting underneath the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
it's probably the same thing. There was a TSB for it back in the day. Search the forum threads, it was extensively discussed.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's probably the same thing. There was a TSB for it back in the day. Search the forum threads, it was extensively discussed.
Yes, I've already searched the threads and read what was discussed with the tank slush but my issue seems different than what's described. Mine makes this clunking sound regardless how full or empty the fuel tank is. The sound that I'm hearing is more of an impact clunk...I can actually feel it as well.

I guess it won't hurt to check with the dealer to see if the fuel tank slosh TSB was done on mine already...but I have a strong feeling that my issue is something different.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
615 Posts
I would check the spare, air compressor, battery, cover over the spare, tonneau cover, and rear seats if you have not yet done so.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
615 Posts
I would check the spare, air compressor, battery, cover over the spare, tonneau cover, and rear seats if you have not yet done so.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've already checked everything you mentioned. I have an appointed with the dealer tomorrow so hopefully I can get it to duplicate the noise when I take it in for service. It's random so it's hard to locate where it's coming from. The vehicle drives and rides just fine so I'm curious what that noise could actually be...maybe it's the fuel tank slosh after all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
04/02/18NHTSA ID: 10130721
TSB ID: SSM73706

Issue: a customer may express a concern of a 'clonk' noise from underneath the vehicle when driving at low speed. the 'clonk' will be most prominent while accelerating/decelerating and when turning the steering wheel. the noise may be more

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04/02/18NHTSA ID: 10130721
TSB ID: SSM73706

Issue: a customer may express a concern of a 'clonk' noise from underneath the vehicle when driving at low speed. the 'clonk' will be most prominent while accelerating/decelerating and when turning the steering wheel. the noise may be more
Thanks, tbarrow

I just came back from the dealer visit. I described the problem to the SA and he said that he was very familiar with the issue and more than likely it's the fuel tank but they would still have to diagnose it and the cost to diagnose it is $190...He also said that it was something that was covered under the manufacturer warranty. However, my vehicle is out of warranty. I was thinking that this should have been a recall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 9.11.06 PM.png
I have the Passport from my RR. It outlines all models. California has an Emmissions warranty based on your wonderful government of 7yr 70k. Send me your email

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
I have the Passport from my RR. It outlines all models. California has an Emmissions warranty based on your wonderful government of 7yr 70k. Send me your email
The 7/70 emissions warranty recently saved me with my 2015 Audi A8 4.0T. The turbos failed (a growing problem across numerous Audis with the 4.0T engine) at 68,800 miles with the car well beyond the factory 4/50 warranty. Dealer repair would have been in the neighborhood of $10k, but Rhode Island (where the car was initially sold) is a CARB state and thus the 7/70 emissions warranty was in effect, and the repair cost me nothing out of pocket (except for the cost of the tow truck to the dealership).

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke with the service manager today and he informed me that there was no TSB for my 2013 L405 addressing the fuel tank issue. Does Land Rover have to release a TSB in order for them to cover it under the California Emission Control System Warranty?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems that you were right...I finally let the fuel level drop below half tank and I haven't heard/felt the clunk since. The tank is now near empty so my next move is to fill up and run it by the dealer to see if we can duplicate the clunk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts