RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a used 2013 Supercharged L405 about 2 months ago. It has been great up until about a week ago when our weather quickly changed from spring like to snow/freezing ice and then a ton of rain the following day. I am not sure if the weather has anything to do with the events that transpired but since it was all in the same 24 hour span I figured its possible and should point it out at the start. So I drove the RR on Saturday in the rain/snow, it all worked great. Came home parked it for the night all is good. My wife goes out the following day in it (now raining, lots of standing water but nothing outrageous or even close to what it has been designed for as far as off-roading capabilities) and was working great for most of the day. She called me at some point in the afternoon to say it threw a gearbox fault while driving and wouldnt shift up but it eventually cleared itself and acted normal again. She parked, went into a couple stores, came back out, drove back home no faults. Parked it for the night. I go out the next morning to double check it isnt throwing a fault again before she takes it out, starts right up but now its throwing every fault imaginable. Gearbox, ABS, HDC, air suspension, coolant level low, hood open, only one headlight is working, speedo isnt working, doors wont lock, limp mode, limited performance etc. Everything else is working fine, radio, tach, runs fine etc. So I was thinking maybe a dead cell in the battery, something is getting low voltage and throwing all these codes. I replace the battery that evening with a brand new unit, same problem. Leave it overnight with the new battery, come out the next day to check and see if it would act normal after sitting overnight, same faults. I book it into a shop but really like fixing my own stuff if at all possible so I leave it another day and do some research but can't seem to find anyone having all these same issues all at once out of no where. Go out the next day to check on it, now the new battery is completely dead ie there is some kind of parasitic draw. I put the original battery back in, same problem, totally dead after sitting for 24 hours. Before I send it to a shop which is a massive pain in my ass and now requires towing it etc, anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I dont get why it just came out of nowhere. There is no sign of moisture anywhere is the cabin, no wet floors/carpets, no standing water etc. it has been dry for a week (when the problem originally started) so anything that got wet outside of the cabin should long ago be dry.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There’s a high probability that the battery controller unit might be shot. Or the alternator isn’t charging the battery but controller unit makes more sense. Hope you have some kind of warranty...good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator is working fine, I did check voltage with a multi-meter while it was running the day after the issue started and its make 14.2V when running. Where is the battery controller unit located and is there any way to check it before ordering a replacement unit? I was able to find this breakdown via Google if you can point out which part it is for me

Thanks!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an FYI guys for anyone who may run into a similar issue with theirs and is searching around trying to find a possible cause, I sent it to the shop today and they found the ground stud on the inner fender had corroded and broken off. Replaced the stud and all is good now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts