RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my RR has developed a vibration between 65mph and 75mph.
I’ve just had 4 new tyres, wheel alignment, balancing to try and cure it but it’s not made any difference.

The vibration is slight, not through the steering wheel but you can feel it through the seat / floor.

Any ideas what I can try next as it’s driving me mad
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you have continental cross contact tires it can be the source. Also your lower control arm bushings can be a factor same with your rotors. A road force wheel balancing and a 2nd opinion balancing. My 16 autobiography with 22 inch wheels had the same. Sometimes it's just buying a 2nd set of tires. 22's have a higher history of issues...keep us posted.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When I bought my 16 no matter what I did, the tires wouldn't align until I bought 4 new ones.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
45 Posts
(+) on replacing the tires and having wheel alignment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve just replaced all 4 tyres with Pirelli and had the wheel alignment done (it’s was only very minor out).

I know on my L322 I had 22” wheels and had load of issues there but as soon as I put a set of 20” it was perfect £500 of eBay ?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check your pressures. On the door is pressures for 20’s 21’s and 22’s I think it’s 36 fronts 44 backs does make a difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pressures are ok, I tried that yesterday running slightly higher pressure, then slightly lower. It didn’t make any difference to the vibration. I’m going to try and borrow another set of wheels and swap over to see if that works like it did with my L322, least then I can rule the wheels out or confirm it’s 22” that’s the problem

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Pressures are ok, I tried that yesterday running slightly higher pressure, then slightly lower. It didn’t make any difference to the vibration. I’m going to try and borrow another set of wheels and swap over to see if that works like it did with my L322, least then I can rule the wheels out or confirm it’s 22” that’s the problem
is it a constant vibration or does it vary in severity or change at all? if it where the front tires or brakes you would feel it through the steering wheel. another thing to check is your exhaust to make sure nothing is loose and vibrating against the body panels. check the plates under the vehicles to make sure they are all secure and none f the mounting points have broken especially the tranny there was an issue with some vehicle that the mounting cracked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a constant vibration at 70/75 - goes if you drive under or over those speeds.

Good suggestion about the plates, I’ll try and find a ramp somewhere where I can get it up and see if I can spot anything loose

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a vibration on my 13 RRS at 55-60 mph. Found that the front rotors were slightly warped. After replacing vibration went away. A good tire shop should be able to measure trueness of rotors, or perhaps you can with calipers?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
It’s a constant vibration at 70/75 - goes if you drive under or over those speeds.

Good suggestion about the plates, I’ll try and find a ramp somewhere where I can get it up and see if I can spot anything loose
If the issue is speed related within a fixed speed, it’s not engine related. It’s likely wheel-tire related. Could be driveshaft or half shafts as well.

Since you’re not feeling vibration through steering wheel, I’d suggest the issue is rear tire-wheel or driveline. Easiest test is to rotate wheels f-r. If it’s a tire-wheel issue you’ll feel the vibration now through steering wheel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts