RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i am a new member and have red some of your reports on the convertion so i got 2 units and started this morning i removed front bumper and lights and grill .i cut the center serport from the under side of the slam pannel.then i cut the side wing down the lip whitch holds the side indecator by about 5 mm leaving a 5 mmm lip all the way down then i used plyers to bend the lip to the cerve of the side units.then i had to cut the bottem back 1/2 of the head lamp back so the lamp drop
the bonnet just dose not shut so i ejusted the bonnet locks and this did the job .this has took most of the day .i still have to fix them and wire but thay do look good well one dose i will try to put some photos on as i go along . i have rebuilt landrovers rangerovers bobtails before but this is no easy quick job no body seems to have photos and step by step to do this job . will keep u posted thank you please feel free to give in put :doh: ps photos to big how do i make it smaller to down load

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've never really understood why people try to make the P38 into a L322 / GCAT Range Rover... The P38 has a timeless design - the L322 doesn't!
And I'm almost certain that you went all the way for some headlights with xenon/bixenon, but if you didn't keep the headlight washers you'll end up with rubbish (in my opinion) design and poor function... (dirt on the glass can blind yourself while driving)

I have seen P38 with RR Sport headlights - and at first it looked very nice - untill you looked at the different curves of the headlamps and the bonnet... looks like a circus clown to me....

I'll stick to my old school halogen headlamps - but the Lord work and mysterious ways - and maybe you have made it look nice for once... (I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - hoping that you haven't butchered the P38 too much.....

Let's see some pics!

Ferdinand - Project Waterpump Change is about to be unleashed TODAY!!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Please show us your work. Did you change the grill too?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I think my views on this subject might be well know.

But once again, the lights, bumpers, swage lines, angles and curvature of the p38 are completely different to those of the L322.

So bodging in a set of L322 lights will result in the lights not meeting up with the curvature of the bonnet. As the lights have a different slope you need the L322 grille which then leads the L322 bumper.
Assuming you managed to get it all fitted and working on the car you end up with a vehicle that looks slightly odd from directly ahead at a distance of about a mile.
From any closer(or side on) it looks appalling as the front end was designed for a bigger car of a different shape.

As others have said, please post photos.
I'd like to hope you've done a good job, but I suspect you've ruined it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks tim
have put the drivers side in first and made a good job i trimed the winge by 5 mm to allow the side indector to resess after i cerved it a little and it fits good the inner side i trimed and the light box ,and i must say when i started i wished i have left them alone but once you start cutting no going back unless you weld the slam pannel up rights back in .at this time the head lights do seem to follow the bonnet round and do look good so some people may have done bad jobs ,it took the best part of the day marking cuting to make a good job .this is not for the faint harted , have tryed to put photos on but i keeps saying to big if you have any info how to shrink them to go on please let me now thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi to all, To change the size of your picture to submit ,
Right click the picture and select EDIT
This will bring up paint
Select IMAGE
Select stretch /skew
This will bring up a screen with
Horizontal 100
Vertical 100
Change these values to
Horizontal 25
Vertical 25
Click OK
Close paint
This will ask you if you want to save change click yes
You picture will now be small enough to submit

Best regards sillyboy

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Or use Imageshack.com. Tutorials are on the web

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
g12judd said:
[attachment=2:2wt2iwbo]p38 headlight convertion 013.jpg[/attachment:2wt2iwbo]
thanks for that i will try to add photos as i go along cheers
Good work but the bumper and the hood would need some mods to be perfect

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Right, I'm not saying this to be nasty but I genuinely think that does not work at all.

The side on shot you have posted shows that the sidelight/indicator unit has a different radius to both the bonnet and the lower indicator trim. You'd have to cut the bonnet and rebuild it to fix that top side, god knows how you'd fix the bottom without resorting to the l322 bumper.

The front three quarter picture shows the bonnet looking like its not shut correctly, presumably this is because you've tilted the lamps back to suit the frontal profile of the p38?

Your headlamps don't seem to fit at the bottom.

Your grill now also looks too big for the car.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
Right, I'm not saying this to be nasty but I genuinely think that does not work at all.

The side on shot you have posted shows that the sidelight/indicator unit has a different radius to both the bonnet and the lower indicator trim. You'd have to cut the bonnet and rebuild it to fix that top side, god knows how you'd fix the bottom without resorting to the l322 bumper.

The front three quarter picture shows the bonnet looking like its not shut correctly, presumably this is because you've tilted the lamps back to suit the frontal profile of the p38?

Your headlamps don't seem to fit at the bottom.

Your grill now also looks too big for the car.
There's a way to slightly hide the different radius of all those parts

G

·
0 Posts
So why so cagey with the info? Why not just post the method or a shortcut to it for the OP or any future owners who want to attempt this?

It does annoy me when people post saying they have the answer, and then don't give it. :snooty:

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
So why so cagey with the info? Why not just post the method or a shortcut to it for the OP or any future owners who want to attempt this?

It does annoy me when people post saying they have the answer, and then don't give it. :snooty:
8-|= I think you will find his answer was the brush guard in the pic. It is big and bulky enough to hide all the misfitting parts that don;t belong.

The idea of adding lights from a completely different model can hardly be called an "upgrade". It does manage a couple of things though. For people in the know about Range Rovers it shows how to ruin adesign with poorly fitting and out of scale items. For people not in the know the rig looks good form a distance but jsut looks like a butchered accident repair up close. I have seen a few of these attempts to make a rig look newer and have to just shake my head. :snooty:

G

·
0 Posts
I take back and apologise for my snippy comment. I assume from the admins post that there is a picture to go with that post that shows a brushbar that hides bad workmanship.

I will edit it to say I hate my companies firewall that doens't allow images on some servers to be shown, but won't show an image placeholder to let you know there is one there. :evil:

Sorry 996turbo :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Fitting L322 lights and a bullbar is the equivalent of getting plastic surgery and wearing a balaclava when you go out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts