RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I lost drive on my 2004 3.0td6 Saturday I’ve dropped the pan and found metal dust/fillings in the fluid I’m pretty certain it’s the lock up clutch plate that’s worn away in the torque converter the question is do I get torque converter reconditioned and hope it’s ok do I need to do anything else apart from flush the gearbox to get rid of of any other contamination and hope the gearbox is ok many thanks Nathan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,267 Posts
Hi Nathan, and welcome to the forum.

I admire your optimism, but the lock-up clutch failure is a symptom rather than the cause of your problem. If you just clean out the glitter and have the converter re-manufactured you’ll just be back to having the same problem in a few thousand miles (could be 5,000 if you’re unlucky or 25,000 if you’re lucky) because the cause is wear in the valve body assembly caused by GM manufacturing the aluminium blocks from soft cheese. Spool oscillation in the valve blocks causes them to wear their bores, allowing the valves to leak and cross-talk. This leads to reduced hydraulic pressures on the clutches, allowing them to slip & wear. The first to go is invariably the torque converter lock-up clutch.

You don’t say in your signature where in the World you are?

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,267 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Nathanh007
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing