RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

anyone got any experience of the chip-based power upgrade to the BMW TD6 engine (as carried out by the likes of JE Engineering) in an L322. I gather it adds circa 30bhp and 30lbs/ft.

Question is how does it change the power delivery and driveability of the engine? How does the autobox respond? What happens to fuel consumption? Does is put significantly more stress on certain components (eg turbo charger, cooling system etc) that could ultimately compromise reliability?

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks

RRG

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
LR cracked down on chipped TD6's as they were causing a high number of gearbox failures - although this might not worry you in terms of warranty you may wish to bare it in mind.

I've read that the GM5 5L40 gearbox is not the strongest of boxes and is already operating at it's limits (as its plucked from a BMW saloon).

Dan

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
How do you or LR Dealer tell if the cars has been chipped?

My local LR garage said that it is really not easy....

Therefore would the LR Dealer know, re warranty issues, if you had a problem on chipped warranted car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, I'd been hearing noises that the gearbox is a bit of a weak point.

So you say it's a GM5 5L40. You wouldn't happen to know what BMWs it actually went into (or other applications for that matter)?? If/when mine packs up in Africa it might help to know where else I could find one if I'm miles from any LR support / dealer!!

Thanks

RRG

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
RRG said:
Hmmm, I'd been hearing noises that the gearbox is a bit of a weak point.

So you say it's a GM5 5L40. You wouldn't happen to know what BMWs it actually went into (or other applications for that matter)?? If/when mine packs up in Africa it might help to know where else I could find one if I'm miles from any LR support / dealer!!

Thanks

RRG
From googling it apears it went into the 3 series and the mini! But I hope i'm wrong on that!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
RRG said:
Hi

anyone got any experience of the chip-based power upgrade to the BMW TD6 engine (as carried out by the likes of JE Engineering) in an L322. I gather it adds circa 30bhp and 30lbs/ft.

Question is how does it change the power delivery and driveability of the engine? How does the autobox respond? What happens to fuel consumption? Does is put significantly more stress on certain components (eg turbo charger, cooling system etc) that could ultimately compromise reliability?

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks

RRG
My LR tech manager confirms about gearbox failures on chipped TD6.
What do you want? Gearbox failure because of the chip or Turbo Failure due to the lack of the chip. :crybaby2: (my father burnt his Turbo at 80.000km)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts