RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gurus

I have switched from P38 4.6 to L322 (TD6 BMW Diesel, year 2003) a year ago. Happy with the ‘upgrade’ but misses the V8.

The L322 has been running like a clock until a few weeks ago, where the problems started…
Symptoms:
I first noticed a brief loss in power/stuttering when travel at same speed for longer periods. It disappeared when I increased the speed and would sometime reappear if I held that speed for a longer period.
When coming to a halt the revs would go up and down randomly when idling. When I started accelerating the problem would disappear again and reappear when coming to a halt again. Sometimes to a point where the engine would cut out and hard to start again.
Yesterday the car wouldn’t start at all. Just cranking over.
I have changed the fuel filter but it didn’t solve the problem.

My GAP IIDControl diagnosis tools give me these errors:
P1180-01: Low side fuel pressure sensor plausibility (fuel filter) - reduction in quantity due to low pre-pressure - General failure information - general electrical failure ///
P0193-02: Fuel rail pressure sensor malfunction - short circuit to battery positive - General failure information - general signal failure

When idling my low pressure pump shows 3.9bar and fuel pressure approx 350bar (dropping to 260bar when the problem occurs)
Fuel comp for the cylinders are (order 1-2-3-4-5-6, units mm3): (0)-(1)-(1)–(-2)-(-5)-(-5), but varies when driving. Specially cylinder 5 and 6.

It’s my first time working on this diesel engine and I’m about to order parts today and could really use some input to where I should start looking for the cause and eventually what parts to order.

It would be fantastic and I would appreciate some guidance from you gurus…

Best regards

Kasper (Denmark)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Kasper, the first thing to check is the socket at the end of the HP fuel rail. With the time, the contacts of these socket become bad and you get the symptoms you encountered. It's a well none failure of the BMW's 3.0L engin, these socket is cheap and you can order it in a BMW garage. Otherwise you can check the second diesel pump, that can be also a part of the problem; replacement is cheap and take around 10mns. Chris.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice Chris.
Sounds like an easy and cheap way to start.

Best regards

Kasper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Chris - you're the man!!

I finally had time to give my L322 some TLC this weekend and started by replacing the fuel pump next to the tank (pre fuel pump). I didn't fix the problem.
Then I started fiddling with the plug you referred to. And guess what - it worked. The plug at the end of the HP fuel rail must have been bad because I took the plug in and out a few times and gave it some contact cleaning and the car is spinning like a clock.
If you hadn't pointed me in that direction I might have ended up replacing all three pumps, two valves etc..
I will fix the plug properly as soon as I receive the parts you recommended.

Again thanks Chris!

Best regards from one happy L322 owner :).

/kasper

·
Registered
22 Posts
Happy to help you Kasper. Don't forget to recover the three little blue plug to isolate the new pins from water. Change that plug isn't difficult, just take your time and take care to pinch correctly all the cables. Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts