Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one in the community had to remove and replace the seat bottom cover before? Perhaps to fix a faulty heating coil or to replace the seat pads under the leather cover?

Any tips on " how to" would be helpful. I'd rather save the money on labour rate at the dealer and do it myself, especially because the OEM replacement part is so pricey.

Background: My driver seat bottom leather cover is worn out I've treated the leather to restore it, but it will still require a lot more effort to fill in the cracks with colouring, possibly painting it with a restoration kit. It appears that Furniture Clinic has the correct colour, but a brand new OEM replacement cover might be the direction to go albeit expensive.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
I need to replace mine as well. I imagine it will require taking the seat out of the car and then separating the seat bottom from the seat back.

If you have the time and patience you could remove the seat yourself, separate the bottom from the back. Then take the seat bottom alone to a automotive upholstery place or even a regular furniture place.

it’s my understanding the leather is held by a number of “hog rings” - google them - and require - you guessed it - a hog ring plier to get them on.

·
Registered
2010 Range Rover L322 Autobiography Black - 1 of 70 in the UK
49 Posts
You can remove the leather seat covers with a set of pilers, they do ping off. If you need to replace the foam base, remember, if you have perforated leather and heated and cooled seats, the foam underneath has a channel to funnel the air from the fans to the perorations, so, check which version you have because they are different.

Need to have mine replaced too, the leather is OK, but, is think from sliding in and out. An automotive interior upholster can sew in new leather, and can fade it to match as well. Darker leathers easier to match apparently than lighter.

You should be able to find the foam bases.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
555 Posts
FWIW, the seat bases (cushions) are identical for driver and passenger side.

My best recommendation is: If you can source a good, used seat base in the same trim level from a passenger seat (chances are it’ll be less worn) you can install that on the driver’s seat.

To replace a covered cushion, you’ll need to remove the seat. Before doing so raise the seat base as high as it’ll go to gain greatest (post removal) access prior to removal.

Remove four 10mm track bolts (run seat back to remove front pair then forward to remove rear pair or vice versa). Disconnect the battery and wait ten mins. Detach seat plug connectors and pull the seat through the door aperture (be careful not to scrape the seat tracks along the door card). A second pair of hands is helpful here as the seats are quite heavy. Remove the seat switch trim panel - two T30 screws and three retainer clips which will “pop out” in a similar way to a door card clip, then disconnect the small four wire connector.

The seat cover edges are retained by short plastic channels which “wrap” around the metal base/lip of the seat frame.

Pull a corner of a channel down then start prying it away with a lever if it’s still a taut fit (it’ll test your finger strength, especially during reinstalling).

IF YOU HAVE HOT/COLD seats, invert the seat and remove the fan and duct connected to the center of the seat cushion base - remove two torx screws to the seat base and then press the two clips which allows for a slip joint between the small duct embedded in the cushion.

With the cushion now detached you can begin to remove your original cover. You’ll use pliers to expand the metal clips which connect the base to the cover - there are rods embedded within the foam cushion which the hoops attach to. It’s quite fiddly but if you work methodically it doesn’t take too long.

Reinstall in reverse of the above.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to replace mine as well. I imagine it will require taking the seat out of the car and then separating the seat bottom from the seat back.

If you have the time and patience you could remove the seat yourself, separate the bottom from the back. Then take the seat bottom alone to a automotive upholstery place or even a regular furniture place.

it’s my understanding the leather is held by a number of “hog rings” - google them - and require - you guessed it - a hog ring plier to get them on.
Thanks for your comments! I'll look up a hog ring plier, I definitely don't have one at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, the seat bases (cushions) are identical for driver and passenger side.

My best recommendation is: If you can source a good, used seat base in the same trim level from a passenger seat (chances are it’ll be less worn) you can install that on the driver’s seat.

To replace a covered cushion, you’ll need to remove the seat. Before doing so raise the seat base as high as it’ll go to gain greatest (post removal) access prior to removal.

Remove four 10mm track bolts (run seat back to remove front pair then forward to remove rear pair or vice versa). Disconnect the battery and wait ten mins. Detach seat plug connectors and pull the seat through the door aperture (be careful not to scrape the seat tracks along the door card). A second pair of hands is helpful here as the seats are quite heavy. Remove the seat switch trim panel - two T30 screws and three retainer clips which will “pop out” in a similar way to a door card clip, then disconnect the small four wire connector.

The seat cover edges are retained by short plastic channels which “wrap” around the metal base/lip of the seat frame.

Pull a corner of a channel down then start prying it away with a lever if it’s still a taut fit (it’ll test your finger strength, especially during reinstalling).

IF YOU HAVE HOT/COLD seats, invert the seat and remove the fan and duct connected to the center of the seat cushion base - remove two torx screws to the seat base and then press the two clips which allows for a slip joint between the small duct embedded in the cushion.

With the cushion now detached you can begin to remove your original cover. You’ll use pliers to expand the metal clips which connect the base to the cover - there are rods embedded within the foam cushion which the hoops attach to. It’s quite fiddly but if you work methodically it doesn’t take too long.

Reinstall in reverse of the above.

Rob
Thank you, Rob! Amazing. I really appreciate your detailed step-by-step directions. Very helpful. I just ordered the seat cover from the UK and it should arrive sometime next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know of a source for the seat leather that is more reasonable in price then the OEM?
Best bet for used would likely eBay to source one. I got the correct part number from my local dealer but their retail price with the markup was crazy, so I found an OEM part at a much more reasonable price through a site in the UK. Still pricey $$$ but it is brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can remove the leather seat covers with a set of pilers, they do ping off. If you need to replace the foam base, remember, if you have perforated leather and heated and cooled seats, the foam underneath has a channel to funnel the air from the fans to the perorations, so, check which version you have because they are different.

Need to have mine replaced too, the leather is OK, but, is think from sliding in and out. An automotive interior upholster can sew in new leather, and can fade it to match as well. Darker leathers easier to match apparently than lighter.

You should be able to find the foam bases.
Thanks for your comments! Very helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best bet for used would likely eBay to source one. I got the correct part number from my local dealer but their retail price with the markup was crazy, so I found an OEM part at a much more reasonable price through a site in the UK. Still pricey $$$ but it is brand new.
What is the part number you found?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
Can you guys help me with the terminology? When I search the 'bay or the internet for seat "cover" range rover L322 or similar phrases, it typically returns to me those ill-fitting generic seat covers and not the leather cover that replaces the leather one I have. Similar question for the replacement foam. I am in the US but OK to order from the UK etc. I have the heated / cooled seats so I imagine that foam might be a little more difficult to find. If you have any sources please let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you guys help me with the terminology? When I search the 'bay or the internet for seat "cover" range rover L322 or similar phrases, it typically returns to me those ill-fitting generic seat covers and not the leather cover that replaces the leather one I have. Similar question for the replacement foam. I am in the US but OK to order from the UK etc. I have the heated / cooled seats so I imagine that foam might be a little more difficult to find. If you have any sources please let me know.
Try to find your specific part number by searching Land Rover Cover - Front Seat Cushion and add your model year, model (HSE, Supercharged, Autobiography) and/or L322.

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
488 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts