Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Vogue 2011 Black
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I started a job that I wished I hadn't but must continue now. I have stripped dashboard, radio, speedo, fan controls, both glove boxes, most the center console as there are two screws that hold the heater controls outer casing in place. trouble being the center console is covering the two screws which will allow me to remove this part.
If anyone has done this job do you have to take the plastic instrument panel reinforcement frame under the actual dashboard?
as im having a lot of problems freeing the middle. both side move. As above i can see 2 screws at the bottom that without taking the centre console out I cant get to them. am I missing something or does the centre console have to go?
one other thing there is a vent that goes behind the instrument cluster that goes to a motor of some type but I can't get the plastic pipe off. I don't want to break it.

any help would be appreciated

Bill
Range Rover Vogue 2011

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
479 Posts
Hi
I started a job that I wished I hadn't but must continue now. I have stripped dashboard, radio, speedo, fan controls, both glove boxes, most the center console as there are two screws that hold the heater controls outer casing in place. trouble being the center console is covering the two screws which will allow me to remove this part.
If anyone has done this job do you have to take the plastic instrument panel reinforcement frame under the actual dashboard?
as im having a lot of problems freeing the middle. both side move. As above i can see 2 screws at the bottom that without taking the centre console out I cant get to them. am I missing something or does the centre console have to go?
one other thing there is a vent that goes behind the instrument cluster that goes to a motor of some type but I can't get the plastic pipe off. I don't want to break it.

any help would be appreciated

Bill
Range Rover Vogue 2011
Yes, the dash-wide plastic inner panel has to be removed to access the top of the heater box as the plenum for the various upper and face level ducts attaches to the top of the heater box beneath it.

Take LOTS of pictures so you can route and re-clip-in all the appropriate harness clips during re-install to prevent irritating dash rattles after it's all back together again.

Use some cable ties on a couple of the horizontal cross ducts immediately beneath the plastic dash mount [especially the horizontal duct behind the instrument cluster as it can't be installed separately without a tremendous struggle ;)] during re-installing the plenum atop the heater box and ensure you align it correctly.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the dash-wide plastic inner panel has to be removed to access the top of the heater box as the plenum for the various upper and face level ducts attaches to the top of the heater box beneath it.

Take LOTS of pictures so you can route and re-clip-in all the appropriate harness clips during re-install to prevent irritating dash rattles after it's all back together again.

Use some cable ties on a couple of the horizontal cross ducts immediately beneath the plastic dash mount [especially the horizontal duct behind the instrument cluster as it can't be installed separately without a tremendous struggle ;)] during re-installing the plenum atop the heater box and ensure you align it correctly.

Rob
Thanks Rob
So the screws that hold the duct to the inner panel have to be removed the? I thought they must come off all in one as they are screwed from the back? or do the screws stay in place and the cable ties are just to retain position when the inner dash comes off?
One other thing does the centre console have to come out as there are two screws at the bottom I can see but cant get to. I have a feeling the steering wheel has to come off as well?
I understand why there no videos on this job as it would take days ....well it would me.
Ive just retired and thought this would be a project but im getting worried now I just hope i remember which part goes back first 😱

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
479 Posts
Thanks Rob
So the screws that hold the duct to the inner panel have to be removed the? I thought they must come off all in one as they are screwed from the back? or do the screws stay in place and the cable ties are just to retain position when the inner dash comes off?
One other thing does the centre console have to come out as there are two screws at the bottom I can see but cant get to. I have a feeling the steering wheel has to come off as well?
I understand why there no videos on this job as it would take days ....well it would me.
Ive just retired and thought this would be a project but im getting worried now I just hope i remember which part goes back first 😱
It’s one of the biggest jobs on an L322 so just take your time. Yes, remove the center console. The connector plug for the console is beneath the inner track of the driver’s seat so remove the four 10mm torx track mounting bolts and tip the seat backwards to reveal the large multi-plug clipped into the plastic tray attached to the floor cavity.

I was replacing the body harness and blower motor on the first picture, hence the more stripped nature of the interior. You don’t have to go that far, fortunately;)

You can clearly see the top of the HVAC box where the duct plenum mounts, which I was referring to in my previous post.

Rob

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s one of the biggest jobs on an L322 so just take your time. Yes, remove the center console. The connector plug for the console is beneath the inner track of the driver’s seat so remove the four 10mm torx track mounting bolts and tip the seat backwards to reveal the large multi-plug clipped into the plastic tray attached to the floor cavity.

I was replacing the body harness and blower motor on the first picture, hence the more stripped nature of the interior. You don’t have to go that far, fortunately;)

You can clearly see the top of the HVAC box where the duct plenum mounts, which I was referring to in my previous post.

Rob

View attachment 296345 View attachment 296346
Hi Rob apart from seats mine doesn't look much different

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't seem to add photos it says contact admin?
I don't now know what to do from here. If i could post pictures i could ask where to go which part contains the motor is it right by the windscreen? I cant see how to get any of it out I saw 2 nuts at the bottom front but they seem to be just rubber bushes. the only part i can see that looks the shape of the fan is right under the harness by the windscreen but I undid 4 screws in front of that and they didnt do a thing. I was told it was held in by 4 bolts from the top going towards the floor but I can't see anything like that.
my car is in the same state as yours nothing left apart from the seats. I couldnt belive the whole center console had to come out which meant the rear blower and rear heater parts as some of the screws holding the side panels on were blocked all over the place.

if anyone has a picture of the part I need to take out now the car is ripped apart.

Thanks again
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Rob

View attachment 296345 View attachment 296346
Can I not post photos being a newbie?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I now know where the fan is I see 4 small screws in front that i took out then put back in as I couldn't move anything? Ive missed something apart from a brain. there must be more screws or clips I'm thinking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok any ideas please
Got fan fitted put most the car back together and tried the fan works a treat but all the air is coming out at the front bottom into the center console area. I'm also getting air to my feet but nothing to the screen or the middle of the dash. I cant feel any air behind the dash just everything coming out below the heater controls. any ideas please.
I'm sure something isn't moving that should, to make the air change directions. I took the heater controls off again manually mover the green metal cable there, I could hear it moving something open and shut but didn't change air direction?
I'm thinking it's another cable or lever thats not doing its job.
Oh my I hope the whole lot hasn't got to be stripped down again.
Have all the vent pipes in the centre armrest area be connected before the rest will work? gutted

thanks
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts