Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents, I am stuck on my Range Rover as to what is going on. So I got he code p0443 purge valve. Not soon after this the idle would vasilate and when put into gear would shift hard in all gears. Was told the pcv valve needed replaced. So I replaced with all associated hoses. Now I have misfire #5 and the same p0443 code so I replaced spark plugs. Now if trying to achieve highway speeds it shudders shakes and service engine light blinks until I reduce speed. I tried going up a hill Same shudder, shaking response service engine soon light blinks . I get misfire #5 again but at idle it doesn't miss. And the vasilation of idle no longer is present. So to sum up what's going on : when i start Rover idle is perfect, drives and shift perfect until I reach 55-65mph it shudders, shakes , and sel blinks. But if i reduce speed it shifts normally and doesn't shudder. What could this be? Before it wasn't leaking oil now I have burning oil smell present when trying to achieve desired speed. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,366 Posts
First things first, what year, what engine?

P0443 Is not related to the PCV valve, its for the purge solenoid which opens to suck the gas vapors out of your charcoal canister. The Purge valve is controlled by the ECM and is opened and closed as needed to vent the canister, its purely an emissions code. It should not have anything to do with a surge or shudder at highway speed. If you have a misfire code, and its not the plug, check your coil wiring, or swap the coil to another cylinder to see if the misfire follows the coil to the new location. Flashing CE light is bad, you are sending unburned fuel down your exhaust pipe to the catalytic converters. You really don't want to know how much they cost if you burn them out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Need year in order to be able to help.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
78 Posts
In my experience, flashing check engine light means misfire. You replaced the spark plug, but i'm guessing it's the ignition coil starting to fail. Like Mark mentioned above, swap the coil with another one to see if the misfire changes to another cylinder or just replace the coil. I got mine on amazon for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I will check to see if it follows by switching. If there's is bad coils I will purchase and keep you updated.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Hi,
55-65 mph shuddering from the engine is usually due to knock sensors not working properly; you would expect a code to show knock sensor but not in all cases. I had to deal with this issue in my 2004 truck( luckily my 2003 and 2005 are still behaving!!!)This is my 2 cents contribution. Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not familiar with the BMW powered L322s so not positive, but don't think you have a purge valve the same as the Jag based RRs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Should have one its mounted t the front left side of the engine, they call it a Purge valve, N119, gets power from Fuse 1 in the engine compartment (same place the MAF and the thermostat) gets power. Has a brown wire going to connector C0606 terminal 3 at the ECM, and a Red with a blue trace coming from a splice (X6819) which is connected to the load side of Fuse 1. If you have recently had the engine cleaned, or driven thru a pond the electrical connector could be full of water causing a bad signal, or the solenoid could just be dead.

I don't see anything in the description of a misfire code in the workshop manual that would indicate the ECM shuts off, or cuts back the amount of fuel to a misfiring cylinder, could happen I suppose but if it does its not discussed in the WM. Remember the fuel charge also provides some lubrication and cooling of the piston, valves and cylinder walls so I don't think completely shutting off the fuel for any long period of time is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What I've had to do to my purge valve once or twice over the last 120,000 miles when it sticks & throws a code, is take it off - it comes off pretty easily - and spray some WD-40 into it. This has cleared up the sticking that I've experienced.
Give that a try before buying a new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the coil on bank 5! Thank you for all of your input!! With that said now when I do 65-70 now it has a vibration in the front right side? Stops when I reduce speed to 55-65. Could this be low oil in differential?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Could have just thrown a wheel weight.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
It was the coil on bank 5! Thank you for all of your input!! With that said now when I do 65-70 now it has a vibration in the front right side? Stops when I reduce speed to 55-65. Could this be low oil in differential?
Use the search, and see what others have dealt with on this issue. After that, make a new thread.
You also need to put your vehicle info in your signature, so we at least know what you are driving, and what engine etc it has.

Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts