RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My spare key for my 2002 (52) Range Rover Vogue V8 only works when used in the key-hole but not remotely. I have changes the battery and the light flashes when pressed but the doors stay silent. The other key works fine. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Gazellio

Hope this helps.....

Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
holmesy said:
Hi Gazellio

Hope this helps.....

Programming a new Key

Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding" You can do this yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

And that works on a 2002 Vogue? How on earth did you find that out?

Gary

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Gazellio said:

Gary
C'mon, people. Please... :pray:
SEARCH THE FORUM!!!!
This has been covered ad nauseum in this forum.
:doh:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03rangiemark said:
Gazellio said:

Gary
C'mon, people. Please... :pray:
SEARCH THE FORUM!!!!
This has been covered ad nauseum in this forum.
:doh:
Sorry Guy's new to Range Rover & this forum :doh: :doh:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BRILLIANT!

Many thanks Holmesy I have just attempted your programming fix and it worked second time of trying.

First time I forgot to hold the key at head height near the door pillar but second time Bingo the Central locking "Locked" to confirm after pressing lock three times and the key now works remotely.

VERY pleased so many thanks again. Great Forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice one!... glad you got it sorted. :thumb:
Like 03rangiemark said all you need to do is use the search,its helped me out lots of times without having to post the question. :idea:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
holmesy said:
Nice one!... glad you got it sorted. :thumb:
Like 03rangiemark said all you need to do is use the search,its helped me out lots of times without having to post the question. :idea:
Will search first in future.

However having correctly coded the spare key I have just found out that the first key no longer works. I re-coded that and then the spare will not work. It seems I cannot have both keys coded at the same time?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
umbertob said:
Did you repeat the procedure for the other key within 30 seconds of initializing the first one, as per above directions?

Oops :doh:

I must start to read these posts more carefully before wasting every bodies time.

I have now programmed both keys together and they both work great.

Sorry again and thanks again for a great and very cheap fix :D

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
holmesy said:
Hi Gazellio

Hope this helps....
Thanks !
The recipe helped me recover the remote after the fob battery drained. Replacing with a new CR2016 cell did not help.
I first waded through tons of recipes all for earlier LR series as it turned out. But finally, this one worked for my 2003 L322, on 2nd attempt.
It seems actually holding the key at "head height" not far from that pickup antenna when doing the procedure is a good thing.
After the three presses on lock and releasing the unlock key door locks confirmed by locking doors.
Efter finishing the procedure the remote could unlock them and things were back to normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I bought a new blank key for my 2003 L322 with 400khz transponder in the key.
I had it cut at my local locksmith and proceeded to pair it to my car using the correct process. Amazingly it worked, except it disabled my existing working key, so I wasn't any better off.
Plus the newly cut key worked beautifully in the door lock and glove box but would only turn the ignition once every 5th attempt, so I went back to the old key which works well in all locks, But it's interesting to know that for approx. AUD$100 I could get a new key to work albeit at the cost of losing the use of the original. I suppose it's off to the stealer for AUD$650.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Gazellio

Hope this helps.....

Programming a new Key

Good advice, although watch out where you are holding the key. I held mine at head height and nothing happened. When I held it close to the ignition lock it worked straight away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What am I doing wrong. I've tried this numerous times with no luck. The key is talking to truck bc it rolls all the windows down if I hold the unlock. Maybe I'm confused with key to "position 1" and "ignition on". I note the key has 4 positions. 1 "Off" 2 "odometer and stereo come on" 3 "all electronic systems on" and 4 "enginerun". What am I doing wrong?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Ignition off is position zero. commonly called "accessory" is position 1, ignition on is position 2... then start.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,211 Posts
Position one is the accessory position (radio on), position 2 is run position (the position the key is in with the engine running. Last position is start. Opps didn't see the last post above.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
This still works. I now have two keys working at last - I was a bit worried as I did it in case I ended up with no keys working but if you follow the procedure in this thread it really does work!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts