Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently,The car is at Land Rover and they were kind enough to provide me withthe codes they got from the last scan.

Firstof all, thank you for reading this any help and advice is greatlyappreciated. I did my best to research, and attempt the fixes myself, and come to you guys/gals for help.

Historyof car: ( THE CAR is an 07 L322, but actually has an 06 steeringcolumn)
Therange rover was purchased with one key. It was a terrible key and theinternals and the buttons of they key were gone. The Rangeexhibited some signs of problems in the last 2 years. Once in ablue moon, maybe once a month the key would not turn the ignition. It would normally take a couple inserts and wiggling to get it to beable to turn. The worst that happened was when I was stuck forabout 10 minutes wiggling in vain. The only other issue waswhen you unlock and open the car, the steering column would make acreaking sound for about 10-20 seconds. Creaking may best bedescribed as a series of extremely fast clicks.

Theday it all changed:
Theday the ignition stopped working completely. After driving it,I parked it, the wheel was turned about 20 degrees to the left ( notsure if that matters.) My daughter had the back trunk open, withlights on. When it came time to start and move the car, theignition would not turn. The steering did not lock either. I the figured the battery voltage was low from the interior lightsbeing on for at least 2 hrs.

Nothing,I had to research a way to get it off park, and I found that thesteering some of the range's have faulty steering columns. I sawvideos and read about removing fuse 18, and or unplugging thesteering column wiring and reconnecting. This worked for me to getthe key to turn, but it did not start the car. It literally wouldjust be a key turn and I can feel nothing. (If I recall correctly, itseems the power getting routed to the starter. Not sure if the radioor cluster changes.)

Nostart. No turn, no steering lock.

Troubleshoot and attempts to eliminate faulty components.

Thebattery was under warranty at auto zone and I was able to replace it.

Ifigured it may be the ignition barrel or the steering column. Afterseveral failed attempts at pick your part, I decided to order aworking steering column on eBay. It was 800 shipped, I purchased withthe prior agreement that if we plugged it in and it didn't work wecan return it and return shipping and cover their shipping for thepotential return. I also purchased an ignition barrel from Pick yourpart.

Iplugged in the new column, and no result, same symptoms.

Iplugged in the new ignition barrel, swapped the back part, (blacksquare box with electronics), same result.

I attempted thejunk yard ignition barrel, with the same key(knowing it wouldn'tturn) just to see if my key would register and have any effect onsteering. No change.

Iput everything back, and decided that the simplest explanation couldbe a bad key.

TOTHE DEALER:
Thekey took 3 weeks to arrive, apparently the US key cutter is down soit came all the way from England. Range rover was kind enough to givea 20% discount. I towed the car to the dealer and they said theycould not program the key. They emailed me the codes the car isshowing. This is where I am at now. I asked if they could program itif we manually got the ignition to turn to position one and they saidthey couldn't.

Today,I will ask them for a bit more time to see if I can find a solutionon this forum. And ask them to try one last time, with the batteryfully charged. Thank you for reading this and again I appreciate anyinput.

Ifthey can't program the key I may have to try the following

1. Finding a new steering column ( the eBay seller said it was tested working, but maybe it wasn't)
    Replace starter?
    Try to replace the ECU? With pick your part warranties, you can purchase parts and return them minus the warranty costs.

Range Rover Codes-1.jpg Range Rover Codes-2.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hie.
Am sorry about all you went through. Its unfortunate to me also, my RR vogue 03 is not turning into ignition until I disconnect and connect the negative terminal.
Should I go for Steering column or Barrel?:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,313 Posts
From your VIN on the code report images you have an 06 truck not an 07, its 16000 VIN numbers earlier than mine and mine is definately on 06, the last digit of the 15446 part of the VIN identifies the year of manufacture.

Looking at your codes, it looks like you have a failed transponder antenna issue, either its not connected or is open circuited. Its in the plastic cone shaped part of the ignition switch that sticks out of the top of the console, there are two little tiny wires in a connector on the side of it and its just a coil of wires that energizes the chip in the key fob. The VIM codes are vehicle immobilizer codes and you have two codes in there related to the transponder coil that actually reads the chip in your key (B1B02-28, and B1B03-92 and 96), plus a whole lot of low voltage issues, which I guess could be related to pulling the battery.

Looks like your also missing all of your tire pressure monitor transmitters, and once you get it started you will have to reset the steering angle sensor (turn the wheel lock to lock with the truck running to recalibrate the steering sensor).

Reactions: Ryane7
1 - 3 of 3 Posts