RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ignition key in my l322 won't turn so I disconnected the positive lead waited a minute and reconnected and the car started.
I thenre-tried the ignition but the key would not turn!
What's going on???

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,085 Posts
Your steering column ECU is messed up, a frequent occurance on the L322's. Once the immobilizer reads your key it sends a signal to the steering column ECU to unlock the column, and once it is unlocked that ECU sends a signal to the ignition switch to unlock the ignition switch to allow you to turn the key. Yours has either jammed or the motor pulling the plate out has failed. You can pull fuse 18 and reinsert it, and you will get one start each time you do that. Of course if your column is locked you won't be driving anywhere except in a straight line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had to deal with this on my 03. I ended up sourcing the parts to actually fix it instead of the wd40 fix. If your mechanically inclined to give it a shot i would be more then happy to help. Otherwise you can send it to me and i can fix it for you and send it back.

There are 3 main parts in the column ecu, plunger, gear drive and circuit board. If your steering wheel is NOT locked then you are part of the lucky crowd and can just pull fuse 18 each time you insert the key to activate the fail safe for 1 free key entry.

Otherwise your options are
1) Try drilling a hole in the steering column and spraying WD-40 into the hole to free up the plunger if the problem is it sticking.

2) Pull Fuse 18 or Unplug the steering column ecu each time you want to start the car.

3) Install a toggle switch inline with fuse 18 so you can use the toggle switch before inserting the key

4) Actually fix the problem with parts. Obviously the internal parts of the steering column ecu are obsolete but the parts that makeup the internal parts are readily available if your willing to take apart the obsolete broken parts. The only thing you cant fix is the electronic board within the column but from my experiences and research they are rarely the problem.

5) Purchase a used column "possibly could have the same problem" off ebay or a junk yard but you will need to get it programmed to your vehicle from the dealer or get the whole system used "Steering Column ECU, Ignition Switch, Key and Immobilizer" so they retain as a matching set.

6) Purchase a new column from RR.

Hope this helps!
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts