RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2012 L322 with Adaptive Dynamic Suspension (electronic struts...total nightmare). In an effort to avoid spending $600 on a new electronic controlled strut, is there a way to trick the computer with a resistor or other means into believing the strut is in good shape and "lock it" into a firm position? Can I wire in something to get rid of the warning light? I'd like to have the option to replace my front struts with the much cheaper non ADS. The RAVE manual says the strut sends a 1.5amp - 0.0amp signal to the car, which adjusts the suspension. 1.5 being the soft setting, 0.0 being the firm setting. I can leave all electronics off the strut and it will default to firm, but I will get a warning light. Can I fix this??

....well I though I could get away with a Range because I know cars....馃槀

Registered
2012 L322 with Adaptive Dynamic Suspension (electronic struts...total nightmare). In an effort to avoid spending $600 on a new electronic controlled strut, is there a way to trick the computer with a resistor or other means into believing the strut is in good shape and "lock it" into a firm position? Can I wire in something to get rid of the warning light? I'd like to have the option to replace my front struts with the much cheaper non ADS. The RAVE manual says the strut sends a 1.5amp - 0.0amp signal to the car, which adjusts the suspension. 1.5 being the soft setting, 0.0 being the firm setting. I can leave all electronics off the strut and it will default to firm, but I will get a warning light. Can I fix this??

....well I though I could get away with a Range because I know cars....
Are you getting a warning now? If so, what does it say, exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It says "Adaptive Dynamics Fault" w/yellow triangle. I have the car up on stands right now and am replacing the bellows on the front left strut. My reason for asking this is because I can buy a non-adaptive strut w/bellows for under $200 vs. $600+ for the electronic struts.

Registered
It says "Adaptive Dynamics Fault" w/yellow triangle. I have the car up on stands right now and am replacing the bellows on the front left strut. My reason for asking this is because I can buy a non-adaptive strut w/bellows for under $200 vs. $600+ for the electronic struts.
I would imagine you cannot. This is also the reason they don鈥檛 make the error cancellation boxes for suspension conversions on 2010-2012 models, because of VDS. It just won鈥檛 work. We are stuck using precisely these parts.

Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
I have a good left front strut for a full size range rover supercharged , with adaptive suspension,
It was made in 2015,verified by the sticker on the strut.
I would speculate it has less than 10K miles,
250.00 plus shipping its yours.
I just bought new struts from Island 4x4 both fronts cost about 1000.00 including shipping and duty
My right bag sprung a leak and it looks like its original.
NOTE the left strut was clearly replaced since my truck is a 2010,

Registered
I'm curious what the total nightmare is. Have you tried to find the problem? Could be a connection and have nothing to do with the strut itself. Why replacing the air bellow, was it leaking?

Registered
Just done that to mine. Took off all the adaptive suspension legs and rear dampers and replaced them with non adaptive ones. Suspension is fine but got warning on cluster. Had to disconnect the adaptive computer in the boot otherwise all the special programs were disabled. Trying to find someone with Nanocom for this model as it will turn off the dash warning by editing the cluster CCF file.

Registered
Just done that to mine. Took off all the adaptive suspension legs and rear dampers and replaced them with non adaptive ones. Suspension is fine but got warning on cluster. Had to disconnect the adaptive computer in the boot otherwise all the special programs were disabled. Trying to find someone with Nanocom for this model as it will turn off the dash warning by editing the cluster CCF file.
Can this be done with IIDtool or is it some different system not under its purview?

Registered
I don't know.of any other systems but there may be? I did go to a guy who had a few different machines to edit CCF files but couldn't do it.. Nanocom does list turn off adaptive suspension warning in instrument cluster

Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
I鈥檓 confused as to why people seek out these top-of-the-line fully loaded luxury vehicles and then begin to toss the cheapest parts possible at them. My 2011 RRSC had a window sticker just shy of $110K. This is why it has all the bells and whistles like ADS. Seems silly to attempt to bypass the entire system to save $500 for a pair of front struts. OEM ADS struts can be had from Island 4X4 in the U/K for the best price around.

Registered
I鈥檓 confused as to why people seek out these top-of-the-line fully loaded luxury vehicles and then begin to toss the cheapest parts possible at them. My 2011 RRSC had a window sticker just shy of $110K. This is why it has all the bells and whistles like ADS. Seems silly to attempt to bypass the entire system to save $500 for a pair of front struts. OEM ADS struts can be had from Island 4X4 in the U/K for the best price around.
It is no longer a $110k car. The most recent owner of these vehicles will treat it exactly like what they purchased - a $15-20k used car with over 100k miles.

Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
It is no longer a $110k car. The most recent owner of these vehicles will treat it exactly like what they purchased - a $15-20k used car with over 100k miles.

Exactly my point. Lots of other used vehicles for $20K-ish with cheaper parts and less complex systems. If you just plan to 鈥渄elete鈥 or bypass these premium options, then don鈥檛 buy a vehicle with them in the first place.

Registered
If you don't understand then don't comment.!!!! These sites are ment to be for people to help each other not bitch!! I purchased this to do some work and heavy towing. What else is there that's got the 4.4 diesel power and weight to go with it. Don't want all the so called premium options, it's not a posing machine, it has to work for it's living.

Registered
If you don't understand then don't comment.!!!! These sites are ment to be for people to help each other not bitch!! I purchased this to do some work and heavy towing. What else is there that's got the 4.4 diesel power and weight to go with it. Don't want all the so called premium options, it's not a posing machine, it has to work for it's living.

Registered
Exactly my point. Lots of other used vehicles for $20K-ish with cheaper parts and less complex systems. If you just plan to 鈥渄elete鈥 or bypass these premium options, then don鈥檛 buy a vehicle with them in the first place.
EAS to coil-over conversions are not that bad, considering some base models for LR for law enforcement, etc. across the pond did not have EAS.

EAS was an engineering nightmare that should have been a stand-alone system. All the bugs and faults are equivalent to there being a warning when your power window motor gets slow and it locks you out from further adjustment when your front windows are up, but your back windows are still down.

Reliability comes down to plain math:

- The most reliable systems have redundancy. Short of driving one car that鈥檚 towing another, that鈥檚 not happening much in the auto industry, so let鈥檚 move down the ladder.

- Next in line is simplicity. If I have a minimum amount of parts that are responsible for a given function, and a failure cannot impact any other system, this is a cornerstone of reliability.

- At the bottom is complexity and co-dependency. If I was given the option to choose the winner in a longevity battle between a system of 10 parts and a system of 20, where the first failed part stops the timer, it would be to my advantage to pick the system with lesser parts. A good comparison for complex systems is just use the number of parts as the denominator for reliability. Theoretical ideal is 1, but 1 / 10 (parts) has half the probability of a rogue defect part halting the operation early as a 1 / 20 (parts) system does.

Manufacturers must understand: if you鈥檙e not giving me a replacement schedule, you are implicitly telling me it is a lifetime part. With no accidents or impacts damaging said systems, LR has part failures of many of these types of components much earlier than the end of their manual鈥檚 maintenance at 150,000 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Whew I see a lot of comments. Some short background, I drive an 88 fj62 Land Cruiser, my wife has the 2012 l322 supercharged ( SC my requirement). I'm mechanical/ knowledgeable. Basically I have the most reliable vehicle ever and the most "unreliable vehicle" ever. Electric strut or not, I don't care... I just want this thing to be half as reliable as my 250k landcruiser. Struts don't need to be electronically controlled, so if I can eliminate an absolutely ridiculous part that cost 5x as much as it should I will...... Living in America these Range's aren't as easily or cheaply modified as overseas. Secondly 510hp in a 4x4 for $20k is a steal and I never ever will buy a 100k range rover. I did all the right things, Gap tool, timing chain, air compressor all replaced. I would love to ditch air ride for a 510hp, 4x4, luxury off roader with coil springs. I'm trying to avoid this path by not spending a lot on this money sucker by any means necessary.

That said, long winded, if I could plop two regular old struts up front I absolutely would. It's a 510hp 6000lb truck....I don't need adaptive struts. I will be looking into tricking the computer and will update. It puts of 6.5v on red wire and 5v on white wire at the strut. Will update!

1. Please don't criticize, this is a $20k luxury vehicle gamble. No one on here can argue with that :).

Registered
Whew I see a lot of comments. Some short background, I drive an 88 fj62 Land Cruiser, my wife has the 2012 l322 supercharged ( SC my requirement). I'm mechanical/ knowledgeable. Basically I have the most reliable vehicle ever and the most "unreliable vehicle" ever. Electric strut or not, I don't care... I just want this thing to be half as reliable as my 250k landcruiser. Struts don't need to be electronically controlled, so if I can eliminate an absolutely ridiculous part that cost 5x as much as it should I will...... Living in America these Range's aren't as easily or cheaply modified as overseas. Secondly 510hp in a 4x4 for $20k is a steal and I never ever will buy a 100k range rover. I did all the right things, Gap tool, timing chain, air compressor all replaced. I would love to ditch air ride for a 510hp, 4x4, luxury off roader with coil springs. I'm trying to avoid this path by not spending a lot on this money sucker by any means necessary.

That said, long winded, if I could plop two regular old struts up front I absolutely would. It's a 510hp 6000lb truck....I don't need adaptive struts. I will be looking into tricking the computer and will update. It puts of 6.5v on red wire and 5v on white wire at the strut. Will update!

1. Please don't criticize, this is a $20k luxury vehicle gamble. No one on here can argue with that :).
Buy about a 10-12 year old land cruiser (that has the 5.7L) and get a TRD supercharger installed. There鈥檚 your $20k, 500 HP SUV.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Buy about a 10-12 year old land cruiser (that has the 5.7L) and get a TRD supercharger installed. There鈥檚 your $20k, 500 HP SUV.

I like your thought process! My wife unfortunately is addicted to the heated steering wheel and fine leather. Don't think you can get a 2009 LC for much under 20k these days. An LS swapped 80 series would be a dream come true for me at least.

Registered
Well if your idea is to simplify things rather than fix them, why not go all the way to coil springs? They include electronic bypass modules so you don't get the messages. After all, your air springs will eventually leak and require replacement. It might even ride as good compared to struts in full stiff mode.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I've thought about coil conversion and it's an option but I can't seem to find one that offers a lift? I would like the coils for better reliability on a trail. This range will be used for camping and light of roading. Waking up in the woods to a deflated ride would be fairly serious.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts