RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The picture from the manual is shown below. My assumption is that I can't recognize this because of the two underbody covers.

Do I have to remove the two underbody covers in order to raise the vehicle using the front body cross member?

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 08.51.37.png

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Good question, I've been trying to figure this one out. Removing the covers does also require lifting the car. I have been lifting it from the side jacking point to be able to slide underneath and remove the covers for oil changes. This drawing confuses me more than it helps.

Would someone have a clear wide angle photo to shareable? Please post for the front and rear.

need to be able to lift the car from the front centre so I can put jack stands in the left and right front jacking points.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,145 Posts
Unless they changed it from the 02 to 209's the front lift pad is on the body pinch weld about 4 inches behind the back edge of the front wheel opening. Its a rectangular pad about 3" long by 1" wide. You don't even need a jack to remove the covers to change the oil. Put the truck in offroad height, put a jack or anything the right height under one of the lift pads and lower the suspension. As soon as the truck sees one side not lowering, it will go into extended mode which is another 2" higher than offroad height. The lights around the dash knob will flash and the dash will say extended mode. Then put your foot on the brake and turn the suspension knob counterclockwise (like you were increasing ride height) and hold it there for 5 seconds. The truck will go into super extended mode, which is another inch higher. You'll be able to move around quite easily under the truck then. Just leave a jack or jackstand under the truck so if the suspension system decides to do something crazy you won't get crushed. Once your done, just twist the knob clockwise until you get to normal ride height. I did it yesterday on my 06 to change the oil. I also wiped down all of my strut bags to get the sand and grit off the rubber while I was there, just so it wouldn't be grinding away on the bags when they are lowered back down. Don't use any dressing on the bags as that will cause the grit to stick to the rubber, just wipe it off with a cloth. Might not help anything but it gives me piece of mind knowing the bags are a little cleaner, and not grinding dirt into the rubber..

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not changing the oil, I have the 5.0L and I use the Mightyvac method - this is just a question concerning lifting the vehicle using the front body cross member. I removed those underbody panels (one kevlar and the other plastic) so I could change my front diff oil. They were a PITA to put back on. So if I can lift the front of the vehicle without removing them I'm all over that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts