RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
When I'm down to 15 litres the engine stops and won't start - as if its run out of fuel.
I have managed to coax it back into life without running the battery flat and limp to the nearest garage. Once theres fuel in the tank again all is well. Starts fine and runs fine.

When I checked the fuel menu (menu 6) in the hidden menus, I was getting two readings, I guess one for each side of the tank. 14L and 1L
So I am presuming that there's a problem with the pump in the tank that keeps both sides at the same level.

Is that right?
Is there anyway of checking / fault finding method?
Is this going to dredge up any gunk from the bottom of the tank and should I get a filter change to make sure?

Obviously I'm not going to let it go below 25L from now on!
Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Had a similar issue when fuel was running low (but nowhere near empty) car acted like it was out of gas. Changing the filter took care of it. The pump has to work harder as the tank lvl drops, and if the fuel filter is tired the pump can't overcome. Filter is a fairly quick replacement, bulkheads are under the rear seats.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Assume an older L 322? Please put specs in your signature so people can easily help. When i changed pump on ours one side was low and the other had more. I believe somehow that due to the saddle tank nature of the fuel tank the fuel is maintained in the pump side once the fuel level falls below the crossover point of the tank. So you could have a failed crossover hose inside the tank but I have never read a post on that issue. Its a fairly complex assembly but has its frailties. On ours the filter is under a plastic cover under the car. Two small bolts and it is exposed. Fittings can be a bit awkward to dislodge so be careful. Welcome to the site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts