RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I own a 2003 Range Rover, I was wondering if anyone ever attempted replacement of the gas filled struts that lift the cubby box in the center console.
I heard when the car was new, the struts actually automatically lifted the cubby box cover upon release of the latch. I know for a fact it's a simple procedure on the P38
When i called the dealer, they mentioned to me that they only sell the cubby box as a whole and not the individual struts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've purchased for different applications, Stabilus Gas Struts. They're probably the largest supplier for the auto industry. Check to see if there's any markings on the gas struts, and who knows, they might be the manufacturer. In the mean time, I'll check tonight on mine.

The company that represents them in the USA, is Magnus Mobility Systems. They will be able to help you, and cross reference the ones on your Range. You can take a look at this page:

http://www.magnusinc.com/?page_id=147&category=48

I
f you're lucky in your find, please don't forget to report.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Esteban, I have noted that the struts are Stabilus.They are covered with number markings so it may be tricky to figure out which one is the part number. I may call the factory directly and see if they can assist me in finding a replacement part.
I am also realizing this may involve taking the entire center console out.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,270 Posts
The struts used to be available separately as part number FWY000020. If you Google the part number you may be lucky and find somewhere that still stocks them?

Phil

·
Registered
183 Posts
Phil, you always have all the information needed!

A couple of places show up with your part #, but in the UK only.

I took pictures today, but so far, the numbers printed on the struts do not ring a bell. Maybe they will make sense to the guys at Magnus Mobility

These are the numbers:
51.16- 7 009 330 / 118-680-10
STABILUS
LIFT-O-MAT
D-56070 KOBLENZ, GERMANY

Surprise, if you do find the struts, remember that they must be installed with the body pointing up. One tends to associate the position with a regular shock absorber. This was a caution from Stabilus when I bought the other ones.

I also found this info for Stabilus
USA
Stabilus Inc.
1201 Tulip Drive
Gastonia, NC 28052-1898
(704) 865-7444
[email protected]

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
managed to find i spare part from a breaker and took most of the inside centre of the RR apart.... only to find that the struts are nearly impossible to replace! anyone got any tips on which trim needs to be removed to get at the part?

thanks

Jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Running into the same problem so resurrecting this thread. I was able to take the lid off and separate it from the cell phone holder tray. I think that is the one that has gone soft on me. Has anyone ever successfully replaced these struts?

Thanks,
Lowen

·
Registered
183 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts