RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anybody has already tested air suspension for L322 made in China and sold on Ebay? The price is quite low but what about the quality?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
There are all sorts of Chinese rubbish products on eBay. Without a reference nobody will have any idea which one you are referring to. I would reference the old saying you get what you pay for and stick to new products from trusted suppliers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
I see nothing in that listing about actual branding or China. There is an obscure reference to H&J motors... Is this a UK company you are familiar with? As you brought up Delphi and Dunlop, they are both long standing companies with stellar reputations and excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
In the "About" section of the page it says China product. Most of the US or UK "Companies" are usually Chinese products being sold in the US or UK.

Smart marketing. Coincidently had a conversion about this same thing earlier today.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fact I bought my L322 just to practice off road. The two front suspensions have been changed two years ago by the first owner and he bought 2 Dunlop. Now, just after the end of the warranty, the passenger front suspention make an awfull noise and go up and down by step (see my first post in this forum). After looking in some others forums, lot of Dunlop users are disappointed like me by the poor quality of that product. I will probably buy a Delphi one, but as it's for off roading, may be I can find a new suspension for a good price. In the link I provided, nearly 100 pieces have been sold, so may be in this 100 buyers, one is from this forum and can give us his feed back on that product. Everyone is free to buy his spare parts where he want, but in my opinion, higher price is not a sign of better quality.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Personally, I would never put them on my L322. I don't mind spending more on something that is higher quality.

In your situation, I'd maybe give them a shot. How bad can they really be?

Also, I recall there being some discussion on these forums about *Chinese* suspension in the past month. I think in a thread initially about Arnott.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
Mileage may vary certainly applies. I;ve never heard any issues with Dunlop products nor have I had any issues with Dunlop as it is the only thing I have have ever used in Classics and P38s with Dunlop and Delphi for L322s. I;ve only had one Delphi replacement failure and the strut was quicklly replaced by the distributor.

My main concern is not the actual strut in the assembly. They rarely fail and there is not really anything to fail but a seal. My concern is the air bladder composition. Dunlop bladders across all makes are very heavy and smooth rolling. I've removed struts with rubber composition that was considerably thinner, and softer. Some of them easily tear once aged. Dunlop bladder composition may crack but I can guarantee it will never tear. It's rather like comparing a tyre inner tube to a child's balloon with cheaper made struts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first aim was to dismantle the faulty suspension because I'm quite sure that the bag is Ok, and just change the shock absorber (provided by my regular spare parts supplier who was the first owner of my L322). But he told me that it was a real pain to reassemble all the parts together, especially all the O rings.
You're right, I will buy a Delphi one because I'm not convinced by the quality of the China one. But it's always interesting to test or to discuss with somebody who had tested new way of procurement.
To finish with that, I really wonder if in the same factory of air suspension, there are a line for Dunlop, a line for Delphi and may be a line for the Chinese guys. :)
I'll probably never know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Run away from the knockoff made in China rear bags. Replaced older Arnott air bags which I thought were bad with China made that I found on EBay. Learned the metal strap at the top of bag leaks. Now have rear passenger on bump stops every morning. Crap service doesn't want to exchange. I promise headaches if you go this route.

Trying to find my older Arnotts to go back to. Unfortunately I bought my RR with the rear Arnotts and can't exchange under lifetime warranty as I don't have proof of purchase... hence the reason I went the more affordable route.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
96 Posts
I've got a strut/airbag assembly from China (and bought on ebay) on my left front that I installed a couple of months ago after a 3 year old assembly from Arnott failed. It's been great so far for about 1500 miles. No leaks, easy perfect installation, looks high quality to me, and has a one year warranty. It has a "remanufactured" strut, and a new airbag. There are some on ebay with a 2 year warranty that have a new strut along with a new airbag for around $200. That's what I'll get next. I'm in the camp that manufacturing a good airbag isn't rocket science and that paying twice or three times as much for it as a brand new Michelin tire is ridiculous. If any of the other 3 year old Arnotts on my truck fail, I'm getting another one from China. They probably make most all the "brand" names bags anyway! It's also held up to below freezing weather a couple of nights in the mountains of Colorado with no leakage whatsoever. I started an old thread with a discussion of this topic if you want to look it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Knowing that, may be I will buy a BWI product. I just need one air suspension to replace my faulty one and try to understand what going wrong with it. Meanwhile the china one should do the job. Anyway, many thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the BWI link. I looked into it a little further and am amazed at the brands that they manufacture and own. Delphi and Delco amongst them. It reminds me of when Lenovo took over the IBM personal laptop division. I've had two Lenovo laptops now and think they're great (even though they are made in China now). Here's the BWI website. And THEN click on the "Our customers" button and see who their customers are. Yep, Land Rover!!!! My guess is that it's all the same stuff!

http://www.bwigroup.com/about-bwi-group/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unbelievable, that mean lot of money saved when I will change my suspensions. :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ordered two sway bar links for a great price ($11 each) . They got here and look like great quality!! And they are.......Delphi. (BWI owned).

·
Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport HSE
18 Posts
I've got a strut/airbag assembly from China (and bought on ebay) on my left front that I installed a couple of months ago after a 3 year old assembly from Arnott failed. It's been great so far for about 1500 miles. No leaks, easy perfect installation, looks high quality to me, and has a one year warranty. It has a "remanufactured" strut, and a new airbag. There are some on ebay with a 2 year warranty that have a new strut along with a new airbag for around $200. That's what I'll get next. I'm in the camp that manufacturing a good airbag isn't rocket science and that paying twice or three times as much for it as a brand new Michelin tire is ridiculous. If any of the other 3 year old Arnotts on my truck fail, I'm getting another one from China. They probably make most all the "brand" names bags anyway! It's also held up to below freezing weather a couple of nights in the mountains of Colorado with no leakage whatsoever. I started an old thread with a discussion of this topic if you want to look it up.
Given it's been a few years you posted this, how many miles do you have on those struts and how are they holding up?

I'm in the process of ordering some OEM struts. Debating between keeping the expensive Made in GB OEs that just arrived (doesn't say Delphi or any brand though so I'm considering returning them), or cheaper alternatives at about half the price. I also share your take that airbag isn't exactly rocket science. I also have similar climates in California but driving up to the mountains a lot in the winter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The original poster would have to let you know what he ended up with and how it held up. He claimed his usage was largely off road and if yours is similar I would not hesitate to change over to coil springs. Bags may not be rocket science but it may take one to figure out how to get your RR home when an POS air bag or compressor or line or sensor leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere. I've had 2 Arnott bags fail and one OEM bag under the previous owner because when I bought it at 70K miles they were already on there. If you use it mostly on the highway or have trouble getting in or out because of the height then the air bag system is useful but if you never want another suspension failure switch to coil springs. They do not fail.

·
Registered
range classic 3.5 EFI 2 doors 1989 , Classic 4 Doors 3.9 EFI 1992 , L322 4.4 2003
1 Posts
Hi
I spent almost 2 years to find several noise and air leak in my Air suspension , changing them with a china version very low cost , changing the Height sensor , take care of all sensor , you may have corrosion on the connector it self after 10 years usage.

By the way, finally I change with a brand new Bilstein front Air Suspension ( they use dunlop or Delphi depending ) direct from germany , It's a miracle all noise disappears of course the rear suspension are bilstein too.

The results is perfect with this kind of shock , of course the price is almost double than china version but it works now...

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts