RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MarKC : I am copying your reply to my other thread as a starting point for this question. Your reply here:

"The headlights are controlled by the light sensor on the top of the dash, its the big red lens looking thing in the center of the dash infront of the dash speaker. The variable washer sensor is actually part of the windsheild. If the glass was replaced and didn't have the sensor in it from the start then it won't work, as it can't be added separate from the glass. Sometimes the variable wiper ECU just needs to be reset. I don't think there is any aftermarket glass for the RR's available in the US anyway. It may come from Pilkington, or PPG but they all carry the LR logo on them. I had mine replaced 2 years ago and was worried about getting some cheap aftermarket glass, but the glass place said that there aren't any available. Glass alone was $950. Glad I have comprehensive coverage which in MA has to include glass."

I think you are right and wrong with your reply. Right about the sensor controlling both the auto headlights and the variable speed/interval wipers. Wrong about no aftermarket glass. At least thats what I think you said above. Anyway, it does appear that my 2007 has aftermarket glass because the auto headlights do not work correctly and the variable speed wipers do not work either. My windshield does not have a Land Rover logo anywhere on it. It does have the small filaments running through it but those other two functions dont work right. It rained all day yesterday and I drove the truck for about 30 mins in the rain and tried to get the varible speed wipers to adjust their interval. All 4 different intervals positions didnt change at all. So I guess this explains my issues

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
The headlights are controlled by the light sensor on the top of the dash, its the big red lens looking thing in the center of the dash in front of the dash speaker.
Incorrect. The sensor on the dash is just a sensor with a red plastic filtering cap. It is usually a solar sensor for the climate control. However, you mention three different model years in previous posts. Which one are referring to here?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I dug thru the workshop manual and it says the same box attached to the glass behind the mirror has sensors for both the variable speed windsheild wipers AND the auto light controls. The auto light sensor connects to the light control module behind the drivers side A pillar below the dash.

"The automatic headlamp operation uses ambient light levels which are monitored by a photodiode incorporated in the rain/light sensor. The rain/light sensor sends a lights on/off request to the LCM on the K bus, which responds by switching on the low beam headlamps, front side lamps and rear tail lamps. The automatic headlamps are activated under the following conditions:

Twilight
Darkness
Rain
Snow
Tunnels
Underground or multi-level car parks.

Operation of the automatic headlamps requires the ignition switch to be in position II, the lighting control switch to be in the 'AUTO' position and a lights on request signal from the light sensor."

Since both the variable speed wipers and the auto lamps don't work maybe whoever replaced the glass forgot to plug it back in. That would be the best case scenario, because I don't think you can replace the module that is attached to the glass. It comes as part of the glass. Throw a heavy towel over the top center of the windsheild with the truck running and headlight switch in auto, and see if they come on. Usually there is about a 15 or 20 second delay before they come on.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
28 Posts
Glad I was able to send you in the right direction, but unfortunately I'm not sure what the fix is here short of buying a new $1000+ windshield. Mine just didn't seem to communicate correctly with the aftermarket sensor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the glass shop remove an aftermarket windshield and replace with dealer sourced, under shop warranty ($0). WOW what a difference.

First off the clarity - I said "does this have the heated screen ?" (it does) I could not see the wires and there was no distortion.

And the rain AND light sensor are working now without fault. before they would not initialize and worked sporadically.

Unfortunately had to spend a $100 on a new rain/light module in troubleshooting beforehand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not gotten around to checking whether the sensor is plugged in or maybe plugged in but not snapped tight. I am assuming this is my issue but will know soon when I set aside some time to check it out. If I have to replace the windshield I will and report back here.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I did not read this fully but just make sure (assuming you care) the windshield is heated. I know I had glass done some time ago, told them several times on the phone it's heated glass, they showed up with a unheated replacement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got around to checking the plugs behind the cover behind the rearview mirror. Everything is plugged in tightly and securely. What now? You mentioned a "reset" for the wipers but that wouldnt help the auto feature for the headlights. To recap:
- aftermarket windshiled with heating element that does work properly
- auto on lights will not turn on when its dark, however if I turn the lights to the on position and then drive for a few minutes I can turn the switch to auto and the lisght stay on. however, when you turn the car off the lights stay on
- intermitent (rain sensing) wiper mode does not work. all other speeds work.
Flumoxed here !!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
521 Posts
I had my WS replaced a while back, company used aftermarket. Auto wipers (rain sensor) never worked correctly afterwards, I took it back twice, then they finally ordered a factory WS from LR and installed, no problems afterwards.

I'd take it back and tell them to fix the problems or replace the WS with factory....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my WS replaced a while back, company used aftermarket. Auto wipers (rain sensor) never worked correctly afterwards, I took it back twice, then they finally ordered a factory WS from LR and installed, no problems afterwards.

I'd take it back and tell them to fix the problems or replace the WS with factory....
Agreed. I experenced the same. Go with factory sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts