RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing a whole new issue with the RR.
When I first purchased the vehicle the steering wheel was sat 100% horizontally when driving in a straight line. Just lately it has shifted position from the 9 to 3 line to more like 8 to 2 when driving in a straight line. As well, when I get the RR to speeds over 80 kmph and turn slightly right to where the steering wheel is back to its original 9 to 3 position, it feels as though I have a dreadfully loose tire (the tires are all snug) and the steering wheel wobbles so hard it's impossible to keep your hands on it. The steering wheel almost feels loose. When the steering wheel is past that point turning right it then feels snug again.

Not sure if anyone has experienced anything like this? I have the front upper and lower control arms on their way as well as the ball joints and sway link bars. Could a bearing do this?
Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Sounds like you've hit something and knocked things out of alignment. On the safer side of things I would be under the front end right now inspecting components for damage or impending failure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check for play in all the three rod ends.
The steering rod end, the two suspension rod ends.
Its not easy with weight on them so you may need to go to a garage to get it checked.
I suspect its one end of the steering rod end. If its really bad it will cause this problem. But so will a loose wheel, or very bad suspension arms.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thank you for your help!
I had it into the garage today and they swung it up on the hoist and said the biggest problem they could see was the loose control arms (which I have coming).
I would have to agree with both of you with regards to the steering rods being an issue. Is there somewhere you would recommend I start? Something in particular I should be looking for? Is there a part of the rods that are more likely to be damaged than others?
Could it have something to do with the column itself? I figured it wouldn't as it feels fine the rest of the time but in that one location and unsure how the column could skip the wheel side ways.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One thing to consider is that some of the joints seem to also have internal spring tension so its not always so easy to find the one that is loose. I have a dim memory of that on some joints so mentioning it just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts