Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here familiar with the rattle and or ticking sound of the 5.0L SC motor? It sounds like a diesel motor at idle. A very noticeable rhythmic ticking. I have scoured the archives and many different topics come up but no clear cut answer as to imminent failure or annoyance or something in-between. Could someone on here possibly shed some more information on this issue? I can upload a video if it helps.

Friends 2011 SC with 50k miles on it. No other issues except this sound. Dealer said they would go in and replace SC and that was about $5k but having read into the issue on here some say that isn't the resolution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. If the supercharger has excess play (bad bearings) that could make the noise, or it could be the timing chains and guides. I'm a lurker who is thinking of getting a RR and this is from what I've read about the 2010-2011 5.0 engines. If the dealer says it's the SC, and you decide to have them replace it...I would stipulate that if the sound is still there (make a video recording of the noise prior) after SC replacement, then you will not be charged for the work. Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you compared the sound at cold idle vs after driving around for a while? Supposedly this is "normal" and every 5.0 SC i've seen does this and smooths out after reaching operating temp.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned two different 2012 RRSC Silver Lux and neither made this sound.
Is there a revision in hardware for the final year that would make those not have this issue?
This vehicle with the issue is a 4/11 build and it chatters like a diesel motor whether cold or at operating temp.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
I've owned two different 2012 RRSC Silver Lux and neither made this sound.
Is there a revision in hardware for the final year that would make those not have this issue?
This vehicle with the issue is a 4/11 build and it chatters like a diesel motor whether cold or at operating temp.

Have you seen this thread in the RRS? Read post #6. I test drove a 2011 SC yesterday and it did the same thing. Didn't go away after warm up.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...53673-5-0-engine-differences-reliability.html

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the link. That seems to be the issue because the description is identical to what he is experiencing and this is something that only occurred recently not throughout the entire life of the vehicle.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
871 Posts
I have just started a thread on the Sport Forum about my 2010 Sport Supercharged engine rattle and I hope between these two threads we can learn something.

2010 Supercharged Engine Rattle/Noise

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Let's see if anything comes about. I will post the results once his vehicle returns from the dealership and is repaired.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I hate to tell you this. But i have been down this road. Sell the car now buy something else. It will end up being 10k and not really repaired. The timing gear on these are very bad and very difficult to retime.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your honesty, candor and opinion. I will relay the message to my friend. I believe he is leaning towards this option but was hoping to stay in it a bit longer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
871 Posts
I hate to tell you this. But i have been down this road. Sell the car now buy something else. It will end up being 10k and not really repaired. The timing gear on these are very bad and very difficult to retime.
Can you be more specific. I have been doing a lot of research on this matter and providing the correct tools and replacement parts are available, it seems to be very do-able. It may be a little beyond the average DIY'er but not that hard.

Anyway. I expect to be doing this job on my Sport in the next couple of weeks and will report back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a similar noise 2 years ago that turned out to be the water pump which failed. It was fixed under warranty. I have some old sound clips, tell me if this is what it sounds like

Turn the volume all the way up or hold your ear next to the speaker to hear it
https://youtu.be/OKdPhRRdYPY

Another issue just came up though that made a similar sound, it ended up being the supercharger and they ended up replacing the entire supercharger under warranty.

They charged me labor to remove the engine belts because since they're "wear and tear" items they aren't covered under warranty, so I just had them replace the belts anyway since they were already off. Total out of pocket was $450 for the engine belt replacement, the supercharger fix and labor was covered.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was that under CPO? I never heard of having to pay for a portion of a repair because an item was considered wear and tear unless they charged you for new belts then that is understandable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was that under CPO? I never heard of having to pay for a portion of a repair because an item was considered wear and tear unless they charged you for new belts then that is understandable.
Yeah CPO. If I went anywhere else it would have costed way more since the expensive part was the supercharger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well that is absurd but like you said it could've been much worse.
Did you guys ever figure this out? I just bought a 2011 SC with 66k miles and it's making that knocking sound. It doesn't do it every time which is wired. Also doesn't go away after car is warmed up. Here's the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAuWXpg1_4
I can probably return it to the dealer but if it's not a 10k job like cliff said then I'll see if they would refund a 2-3k to take care of the problem.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My friend wound up trading it in and Sales Dept thanked him for being honest but said it was quite common with 2010 & 2011. He went into a L405 V8SC.

If the sound was present at the time of purchase you may not have any recourse however it depends on your states liability/warranty laws for used vehicles with certain mileage. Did you purchase from an LR dealership?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My friend wound up trading it in and Sales Dept thanked him for being honest but said it was quite common with 2010 & 2011. He went into a L405 V8SC.

If the sound was present at the time of purchase you may not have any recourse however it depends on your states liability/warranty laws for used vehicles with certain mileage. Did you purchase from an LR dealership?
No, it wasn't from a major dealership but they sell high end cars. They're also out of state(Florida) so I didn't see the car, just took their word for it that it doesn't knock.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have that in an email then you have something otherwise it's up to the dealer/gsm to decide where you stand.
If it were me I would request them to unwind the deal or push for a buy-back (you will lose the taxes & registration & other fees with this route).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts