RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. As title says I have a V8 4.4 2003 range rover with the zf5hp24 gearbox.
The other day the transmission failsafe message appeared. Lost all drive. Would just rev and not move. Turned off and on and cleared fault.
Started to move then same again, no drive.
If I put it into low range I am able to drive slowly but as soon as the revs pick up I loose drive.
When reset reverse works.... A little to well, seems alot of power when reversing.
So it doesn't go into limp mode just looses drive.
I haven't dropped the gearbox sump yet, plan to tonight or tomorrow.
I have searched but can't seem to find anything that matches my symptoms.

Anyone any ideas able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Change oil and look for metal in the oil and filter. If you find metal in the oil it is a signal for a worn transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lysholm for the quick response. Instead of wasting oil I drained it and dropped the sump to look at the magnets.
Here's what I found....
Normal wear or new box?

·
Registered
183 Posts
To me the shavings are a bit excessive and the oil color looks burnt. When I flushed mine a couple of months ago at 90K miles I saw shavings too but not this much and my oil looked dark brown, not black.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rovah, thanks for info on shavings, I wasn't sure. As for the oil it doesn't smell burnt... I've smelt burnt atf oil, but as you said the colour is wrong and to be fair it doesn't smell like atf oil. I reckon the wrong oil has been used.
I'm prepping for a gearbox removal.
Fun fun.
When I get it out ill strip it and show my findings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Adamstreet13
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing