RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum, I have a 2004 4.4 V8 Vouge 104k miles.

Recently had a full service including oil.

Went to start her this morning and now have a rattling/knocking sound. Unsure if it's timing chain or Vanos.

Ive attached the video Click Here

Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
90 Posts
Almost sounds like a tag or something interfering with the fan. Oil change shouldn't create this. Doesn't sound like Vanos to me. Keep us posted on what you find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...

This was from a cold start....issue im having is im not sure if its still OK to drive to actually have it checked out.

I havent checked the sump if there is debris from the guides. But its come as a suprise for sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

This was from a cold start....issue im having is im not sure if its still OK to drive to actually have it checked out.

I havent checked the sump if there is debris from the guides. But its come as a suprise for sure.
Just would expect you'd have had it prior to the oil change, too unless wedged in sludge in the sump and the new oil cleaned it up and broke them loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noise seems to be more on the right side. Will probably have to pinpoint the location. Also ive had the belts changed. But before this morning car was running quite.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Noise seems to be more on the right side. Will probably have to pinpoint the location. Also ive had the belts changed. But before this morning car was running quite.
Oh! The frequency makes me recommend checking that part out. Have you contacted the shop that did all the work? Are they far from you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So im currently 130 miles away from the shop. But its local to me back in London where I live. Just unsure if it will be OK to drive back without knowing the issue and bricking my engine if it is the guides.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So im currently 130 miles away from the shop. But its local to me back in London where I live. Just unsure if it will be OK to drive back without knowing the issue and bricking my engine if it is the guides.
Can you email them the video? They should be responsible and recommend to you how to proceed.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Those would be broken timing guides. Definitely can happen when it is started up since a worn tensioner will need to build pressure and in the time the chain is slacked, it will bounce off the brittle guides and break them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts