RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First I'm happy to find a such active forum, i'm new here, I own a 2003 L322 4.4 and I'm french (sorry for my poor english).
Right now I'm stuck in Algeria with the car.

I experienced a "trans failsafe prog" message. When I start out the revs increases without movement from the car until the "bang" and the car begins to move a little. I managed to get home slowly, I assume it goes in 4th gear.

I bring the car to a mechanic, he changes 2 valves and 2 or 3 worn plates and after rebuild he told me the car won't drive because of a faulty torque converter. At the beginning I thought it was an A clutch drum failure. For me there was no symptom of a faulty TC (no grinding noise, maybe a loss in acceleration).
What do you think ?

Finding the TC in Algeria is very difficult and I'm stuck here (I cannot leave the car to go to France to look for a new TC as the law forbids me to leave the car) but someone from my family can bring it to me.

So if it's a TC issue I've found one in the US (https://www.ebay.com/p/04-Range-Rover-L322-4-4l-V8-Auto-Trans-Transmission-Torque-Converter/1126357155?iid=332186571867). The seller cannot confirm me if it will fit due to different Markets (Mine is from Switzerland).

Thanks to all people who will help me or give me advices !

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,280 Posts
Welcome to the forum bboutiba :D

The torque converter for the ZF 5HP24 transmission in the Range Rover is the same model in all territories. The same converter is also used in the BMW E53 4.4i (but not the 4.6is). Ask the seller to check that it has ‘F38’ etched on the engine side.

However, in your case, the symptoms you’ve described sound like they have nothing whatsoever to do with the torque converter.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate your help.
I forget to explain that after changing plates and valves the mechanic triyed the car and when he accelerates the transmission kind of "unhook" "take off" until he release the gas and accelerates again. For him it's a torque converter problem. What do you think ?
I'll soon go to the garage (it's little far, 250km) and try the car to have a better understanding of the symptoms and post them here.
Again thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts