RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been enjoying my 2010 SC L322 quite a lot this past year. I ended up buying it over an LR4 because I got a good deal (and i just love the look of the l322s). I knew however building it out for with tires, racks etc was going to be more of a challenge as there just doesn't seem to be as much available. I also have the unfortunate limit of needing to fit into my parkade at work which limits my overall height to 6'8". After reading the forums and doing research this is what I am thinking:

The listed height in the manual is 6'2" (73.9cm) (top of antenna) - also assume this is per the stock rims and standard 255/50/R20 tires (30" diameter)

Based on this thread:
I would like to get the 275-55-20 KO2s (with only a minor amount of modification in the wheel well to remove rubbing), and place them on stock 8.5 rims. The overall diameter is 31.9" so this would add 1" to the overall height since the radius is only increasing by 0.85". Due to the big brembo breaks, I think I am stuck with the 20" rims even through I would of preferred 18's.

Additionally I would like to add the:
Which has an overall height of 5" stated on the website. I am not sure if this 5" would stack directly on the 6'2" listed height or would there be 0.5"-1" overlap since the antenna is is proud of the mounting points.

Is there anything I am missing? This would take me to 6'2" +1" + 5" to 6'8" (or a little less if their is overlap due to the antenna I mention above). One thing I am not clear on is if access mode would still be an option with the KO2's that would give me more breathing room...but I wold prefer not to use it as I am sure I'll forgot one day!

Thanks for the help!

(*as a minor side question...there does not seem to be lamp guards or bush bars for the 2010+ L322s is that the case?)

·
Registered
2010 L322; 2011 L322; 2021 SVR
19 Posts
It will fit. Barely but it will fit your 6’8” height limitations.

Mine currently runs 265/50r20 Nitto grapplers sits at exactly 6’8” at the racks highest point WITHOUT spare tire carrier. You should clear the parking garage height fine if you don’t use the spare tire carrier.

To the extent it is helpful, when placing a tapemeasure against the sunroof, the wind deflector is exactly 5 inches above the top of the vehicle.

I’ve monkeyed with my ride height using RSWs tool, so this may not be helpful for you. But if you DM me I’ll give you my mobile if you want more info. I don’t really check this forum a lot.

I love my voyager rack and ladder but I get a noticeable amount of wind noise and materially worse fuel economy while on long distance trips at high speed. When I first bought the car in 2012 I could jam down highway 80 in the middle of Nevada at 132 mph set on cruise control and no problem... quiet, stable, beautiful. Now with this rack (and I run it with and without the spare tire carrier on top) and a bunch of stuff on the car is not comfortable or safe rolling at 132 mph. I find 90-95 it’s maximum safe/comfort spot with bursts at 110 for passing acceptable. This limitation is also probably a result of running a very heavy ARB front bumper and warn winch up front, which changed the whole feel of the vehicle.

And FWIW I was a motorcycle roadracer for a decade and have well over 10,000 hours of track time at speeds up to 200 mph and feel like I’m pretty ok at assessing when a vehicle is/isn’t stable or safe at any given speed with whatever given track/road conditions.

And as much as I love the voyager rack, last month I picked up a used 2010 supercharged L322 and it’s bone stock and has only 40k miles on it and I plan to KEEP IT STOCK—other than tires and maintenance. I’ve run a lift and large tires on my 2011 and positively hated it for street use. Now that I have two of them, I’m going to put the spare carrier back on the 2011 and further modify it into an overlander machine and use the “new to me” 2010 for street driving.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a '12SC with a Voyager rack. I just measured it at 6'6" to the highest point on the rack which for me is the raised rear section. My wind deflector is mounted flush with the top front tube. This at standard suspension height with all season 20" tires in factory size. So you should fit but your margin is small. Still, you could adjust your access mode for the taller tires but still shorter than standard and have a larger margin.
I didn't drive mine at 132 mph before installing the Voyager rack. At 70-80, I would agree that there is some noise with the stereo off. But with music or chatting I don't notice unless I listen for it. I've been up to 100 mph and didn't notice any change in handling. I think I'll use the rack more often than going 132, LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will fit. Barely but it will fit your 6’8” height limitations.

Mine currently runs 265/50r20 Nitto grapplers sits at exactly 6’8” at the racks highest point WITHOUT spare tire carrier. You should clear the parking garage height fine if you don’t use the spare tire carrier.

To the extent it is helpful, when placing a tapemeasure against the sunroof, the wind deflector is exactly 5 inches above the top of the vehicle.

I’ve monkeyed with my ride height using RSWs tool, so this may not be helpful for you. But if you DM me I’ll give you my mobile if you want more info. I don’t really check this forum a lot.

I love my voyager rack and ladder but I get a noticeable amount of wind noise and materially worse fuel economy while on long distance trips at high speed. When I first bought the car in 2012 I could jam down highway 80 in the middle of Nevada at 132 mph set on cruise control and no problem... quiet, stable, beautiful. Now with this rack (and I run it with and without the spare tire carrier on top) and a bunch of stuff on the car is not comfortable or safe rolling at 132 mph. I find 90-95 it’s maximum safe/comfort spot with bursts at 110 for passing acceptable. This limitation is also probably a result of running a very heavy ARB front bumper and warn winch up front, which changed the whole feel of the vehicle.

And FWIW I was a motorcycle roadracer for a decade and have well over 10,000 hours of track time at speeds up to 200 mph and feel like I’m pretty ok at assessing when a vehicle is/isn’t stable or safe at any given speed with whatever given track/road conditions.

And as much as I love the voyager rack, last month I picked up a used 2010 supercharged L322 and it’s bone stock and has only 40k miles on it and I plan to KEEP IT STOCK—other than tires and maintenance. I’ve run a lift and large tires on my 2011 and positively hated it for street use. Now that I have two of them, I’m going to put the spare carrier back on the 2011 and further modify it into an overlander machine and use the “new to me” 2010 for street driving.
Thank you for the feedback! my only question would be you said you are at exactly 6'8' however with the 265/50r20 Nitto grapplers your overall tire diameter is 30.4" whereas with the KO2s I need (because Canada/snow/etc) are 31.9" so I would think my setup would sit 0.75" higher. Is this because you raised your standard height vehicle with the RSW tool?

I'm not too worried about the noise --- We have more modest speed limits in Canada I would rarely be over 70-80 mph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a '12SC with a Voyager rack. I just measured it at 6'6" to the highest point on the rack which for me is the raised rear section. My wind deflector is mounted flush with the top front tube. This at standard suspension height with all season 20" tires in factory size. So you should fit but your margin is small. Still, you could adjust your access mode for the taller tires but still shorter than standard and have a larger margin.
I didn't drive mine at 132 mph before installing the Voyager rack. At 70-80, I would agree that there is some noise with the stereo off. But with music or chatting I don't notice unless I listen for it. I've been up to 100 mph and didn't notice any change in handling. I think I'll use the rack more often than going 132, LOL.
Thanks! this lines up with my calculations, and gives me the 1" i need to KO2s on there (and maybe an inch to spare).

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
160 Posts

I had a Rhinorack Pioneer platform on my ‘07 L322. Some wind noise with sunroof open at 65 mph and nothing when the sunroof was closed. I will dig up some acoustic measurement and add to this thread.

This one is 84” long and 56” wide and allowed me to fit an awning and shovel mount to the sides. I also squeezed a cheap light bar and corner lights under the front. It’s probably possible to fit a narrower version.

The mounting brackets require a combination of Rhinorack parts and some new holes in the rack side bars since they don’t make a specific kit for this vehicle. The surface of the platform sits 40 mm above the open sunroof glass edge.

If you are considering a Rhinorack, let me know as there are a couple of easy mods that allow you to use M8 mounting bolts rather than the supplied M6.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Rhinorack Pioneer platform noise comparison at 65 mph. Noise measured by iPhone mounted to windshield using SpectrumView app.

I don’t normally drive at 65 with the sunroof open and so the noise is no issue for me. The open sunroof noise level is similar to the tyre noise of another vehicle driving beside your truck on the highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! my only question would be you said you are at exactly 6'8' however with the 265/50r20 Nitto grapplers your overall tire diameter is 30.4" whereas with the KO2s I need (because Canada/snow/etc) are 31.9" so I would think my setup would sit 0.75" higher. Is this because you raised your standard height vehicle with the RSW tool?

I'm not too worried about the noise --- We have more modest speed limits in Canada I would rarely be over 70-80 mph
Idk where I am height-wise in relation to stock—but you’ll be able to make it work—worst case by crawling through the lot in access height. The 2010s let you raise and lower in tiny increments as well using the key fob—engine running abc blinkers on hold the lights button and hit unlock to raise or trunk for lower—unlike the 3 modes under the TRS control where you’re in one it the 3 height modes you can incrementally lower or raise in whatever tiny amount—so if access is too low you have an option to just lower normal a smidge when necessary.

Yes it’s stupidly fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you in NorCal dude? We must be the only 2 guys here running voyager racks on L322s...

And most of the safety issues came from running toyo open country 285/55/20s and johnson rods. Hated it. Awful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a Rhinorack Pioneer platform on my ‘07 L322. Some wind noise with sunroof open at 65 mph and nothing when the sunroof was closed. I will dig up some acoustic measurement and add to this thread.

This one is 84” long and 56” wide and allowed me to fit an awning and shovel mount to the sides. I also squeezed a cheap light bar and corner lights under the front. It’s probably possible to fit a narrower version.

The mounting brackets require a combination of Rhinorack parts and some new holes in the rack side bars since they don’t make a specific kit for this vehicle. The surface of the platform sits 40 mm above the open sunroof glass edge.

If you are considering a Rhinorack, let me know as there are a couple of easy mods that allow you to use M8 mounting bolts rather than the supplied M6.
I actually much prefer the look/utility of the Rhino racks or front runner slimlines, but the custom jobs i had seen looked a little complicated and I wasn't sure of their overall height (unlike the Voyager racks with clearly state overall height). The overall height of the rack in your image looks to be under the 5"'s of the Voyager rack.

Can you share the specifics on how to mounted that rack? Its the tightest to the roof iIve seen (I am also assuming the 07's and 10's have the same mounting points on the roof?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rhinorack Pioneer Platform to Range Rover L322

For the Rhinorack Pioneer Platform option, there is no single kit for the L322 but it can be pieced together from available parts. The standard mounting kit come with M6 hardware and a brass M6 to M8 adaptor. Since the vehicle provides M8 mounting points, it’s a simple matter to drill out the plastic legs to take the larger hardware.

Parts required:
Rhinorack Pioneer Platform 84”x56” #42104BF
Rhinorack L322 base Kit #RCP05 (1 kit of 6 feet)
Rhinorack Locking Leg (x6) #RCL or #RCH (buy the 6 leg set)
Rhinorack Quick Mount HD Spacer (x3 pairs) #QMHD05 or #QMHD10 or #QMHD15

The legs come in two heights. I used the RCL legs for a low profile installation. I combined with the smallest 5mm spacer and while there is clearance to the open sunroof, there is the occasional chattering of glass against the roof rack on rough roads with loads on the rack. I would suggest the RCL legs and the 10 or 15 mm spacer kit next time.

The spacers connect the Vortex leg mounts to the heavy duty cross bar which have the same profile as the Pioneer Platform frame. The three spacer options all come with the same 5mm spacer adaptor and the 10 and 15 version include and extra spacer to raise the roof rack a little higher (total of 10mm and 15mm respectively). The prices for each spacer kit are the same and so there is no harm in purchasing the 10 or 15 kits. Note that these are sold in pairs and so you will need three sets.

For 6->8 mm bolt upgrade:
M8x70 stainless socket head cap screw (x6)
M8x35/40/45 stainless socket head cap screw (x6)
M8 stainless flat washer (x12)
M8 stainless spring washer (x6) (only used to attach legs to platform)
M8 stainless channel nuts (for unistrut channels) (also good for attaching stuff to the top of the rack. I bought the spring loaded versions but these are not necessary)
Loctite to secure bolts to vehicle (not enough room to use spring washers inside locking leg)
8mm drill bit and drill

Assembly notes:
The platform will require 3 new holes per side in the side rails to space the legs to suit the vehicle. From the center, the front mounting cross bar needs to 750 mm forward and the rear 850 mm. I drilled the center hole in the exact center of the rail which sat the roof rack back with a couple of inches clearance to open tailgate. These holes need to be done during the platform assembly since it is time consuming to move the cross bars once the platform is assembled. I would also suggest having some short M6 socket head cap screwed handy just in case the hex heads of the rail attachment bracket bolts strip, as they did for me in a couple of locations.

Follow the platform assembly instructions carefully. The side rail to cross bar channel nuts require a washer on the channel but side to avoid crushing the side rail into the channel. You will see what I mean during assembly.

The legs will require drilling out to 8mm. There is plenty of room for hole expansion in the brackets and the original holes are about 7mm anyway.

The vehicle has some body sealer around each of the mounting points which needs to be scraped away to allow the legs to sit perfectly flat on the metal. Don’t scrape the undercoat and touch up the area with some paint before assembly. Don’t worry, this area cannot be seen.

Lastly, I added some soft rubber strips under each leg to seal the 2-3 mm gap to the roof surface. I bought some garage door sealing strip from Home Depot and carefully cut it to shape. Any soft rubber strip that’s about 2” wide should work.

Final comments:
I have read about using the 49” version of the rack. I think this would look a little smarter but would not allow for the fitment of the awning and shovel mount as I have done. My RTT is the same width as my rack anyway. I believe a set of pioneer leg height spacers will be required to clear the side rail to cross bar bolt heads for the 49” platform.

I managed to bend the side rail of my pioneer rack when I had it fitted to my Discovery 2 during a roll over accident. The vehicle roof side was crushed in but the gutter mount plastic legs were fine. I’m trying to source a new side rail to make the platform as good as new.

I will post some picture separately.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Where are you in NorCal dude? We must be the only 2 guys here running voyager racks on L322s...
I'm just north of Santa Rosa. I like the Voyager in that its custom fit for the L322. 6 bolts through the brackets and done. I like the side rails to easily tie things up there snugged up against the side. Looks wise, I like it. My wife says it looks like less of a poser and more actually useful. I have two Labradors inside so often I need more space on road trips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rhinorack installation pictures on ‘07 L322 RRSC

L322 in full over lander mode. Autohome Maggiolina medium RTT, Rhinorack awning (on opposite side), 4x quick grip shovel mount, DIY sliders and rear tire mount.

Front view showing lights and side awning tucked under rack.

Mounting leg close up.

Rhinorack mounting bolt comparison. Supplied M6 hardware and brass adaptor on the left vs M8x70 replacement

·
Registered
1 Posts

Looks awesome. Best I’ve seen so far and love the low profile platform. I see your other posts below with additional details. If you have any other info on this type of rack and instal I’d like to know please. I have a 06’ full size RR supercharged. Want to look just like this setup. [email protected]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks awesome. Best I’ve seen so far and love the low profile platform. I see your other posts below with additional details. If you have any other info on this type of rack and instal I’d like to know please. I have a 06’ full size RR supercharged. Want to look just like this setup. [email protected]
Hi Lou. The Rhinorack install write up above is the most comprehensive insight into the rack that I have written. There’s some more details of the other elements of the L322 build on expedition portal (diy rock sliders, rear drawer storage system and hitch mount tyre carrier). Look for ‘L322 Overlanding Build and Adventures’.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Lou. The Rhinorack install write up above is the most comprehensive insight into the rack that I have written. There’s some more details of the other elements of the L322 build on expedition portal (diy rock sliders, rear drawer storage system and hitch mount tyre carrier). Look for ‘L322 Overlanding Build and Adventures’.
Your write up was super clear! Much appreciated, I printed it off and took it to my local offroad shop who deals in Rhinoracks and they said they can make the modification no problem during install.

I ended up just going with the 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2W to avoid messing with the wheel well. The rack in being installed in a couple weeks, they are just ordering in all the parts now.

(I also talked to the Voyager guys, but they can't ship to Canada right now, so the Rhino rack was an easy choice)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not very glorious photos in my back ally, but I wanted to show it off now that work is done! My local shop had no problem following the instructions. Already proved its worth the other weekend going down some rutted dirt access roads down to one of my local rivers for some kayaking!

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2004 Range Rover L322 4.4 HSE
3 Posts
Rhinorack installation pictures on ‘07 L322 RRSC

L322 in full over lander mode. Autohome Maggiolina medium RTT, Rhinorack awning (on opposite side), 4x quick grip shovel mount, DIY sliders and rear tire mount.

Front view showing lights and side awning tucked under rack.

Mounting leg close up.

Rhinorack mounting bolt comparison. Supplied M6 hardware and brass adaptor on the left vs M8x70 replacement
Do you mind sharing which tire carrier that is you're using?
I've been looking at options and really don't want to go the whole bespoke or swing arm route.
Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The tyre carrier shown here is home made and has since been sold.

There was nothing that I could find that offered the strength and departure angle that I wanted. It’s held in by an M16 bolt at the front, two M10 bolts to the sides plus the standard 5/8” hitch pin. It was designed to be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle if it ever came into contact with the ground, which it never did.

·
Registered
2004 Range Rover L322 4.4 HSE
3 Posts
Hi RR876, thanks for the info, perhaps I will have to look at a DIY solution too then. Did it have a hinge to allow access to the trunk?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts