Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day! My '07 RR Vogue's drivers seat works 1 out of 10 times. Dealer insists its the fan ECU's. Lights on the dash come on just fine (all 3 heat settings), but whilst I can hear the fans kick in, I don't get any heat. The lights stay on as if everything was still ok, but no heat. Cooled seat works better, only 5 out of 10 times.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The heated and cooled seats work based on a Peltier cell. Current is passed over a semi-conductor and creates a temperature differential between the two sides of the cell. Reverse direction of current, and temp differential switches.

The only time I have seen a failure of one of the cooling units has been with the temp sensor that is built in to it, and that will cause the fan to stop running along with cutting power to the cell. Does it do the same thing if you select seat back only, and not seat bottom?

There are filters on the units that are scheduled to be changed every 30k miles (same system as '10+ my, but not included in service schedule on 07-09) and a restricted filter could cause this. It would be more prevalent on heat, as not enough air would flow, and it would trip the temp sensor.

There was also a bulletin a while back for a spring in the seat contacting the fan and causing both a noise and the fan to stop turning.

All that said, the problem with the system is usually the temp sensor, and only fixed by replacing the assembly itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! With the lumbar only, i still don't get any heat if the bottom isn't also working. the fans start up just fine, i can hear the, but like you said, it trips something and no heat. lights are still on, though.

Happy to take it back to the dealer, but do I need the fan ECU, (is there a part number for either the filter, or the temp sensor)? or are they just too lazy to give me a proper response like you just did? Can you tell me the bulletin number so I can also do some research? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dave, a little bit of web searches yielded the fan assy part number as the seat control motor. Is this right, is it one and the same? Last question, is this fit under the seat cushion, or the seat back? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
That is the right part number, and the picture on the link you sent me was correct, just a bad description. That one is located in the seat back, there is also one under the seat, but since it is acting the same with it turned to only the seat back, I would suspect the problem is there. That is also the one that there have been issues with, and the bulletin above relates to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just replaced seat bottom heating unit and still no heat feel like i wasted the $300$ any ideas what els could be the issue ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: L322 2007 Range Rover Vogue driver's side seat heater/co

I just got back from the dealership. They told me both motors had to be replaced. Is there no way to get around this? Plus they wanted over $500 a piece for the two motors. But at least labor is only $665. Then they continued to add to the list a bunch of other things and told me to fix everything with a 10% savings it would be $15,799.35. I despise dealerships.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

I just got back from the dealership. They told me both motors had to be replaced. Is there no way to get around this? Plus they wanted over $500 a piece for the two motors. But at least labor is only $665. Then they continued to add to the list a bunch of other things and told me to fix everything with a 10% savings it would be $15,799.35. I despise dealerships.
You can do what I did... I saw 6 of those seat motors in ebay at $18/ and bought all of them. I only needed the one to fix my problem but at that price why not. Pulling the seat takes about 10 min, few pieces of hardware on the seat pop off... You slide the back of the seat down once it's unbolted from the seat belt latch and bolt on the opposite side. Once that slides down the seatback cooler is right there, couple of screws, a zip tie pull replace done. If you search I've done a full write up with photos.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
34 Posts

Do you have any left that you want to sell?

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover SC Westminster Edition
6 Posts

You can do what I did... I saw 6 of those seat motors in ebay at $18/ and bought all of them. I only needed the one to fix my problem but at that price why not. Pulling the seat takes about 10 min, few pieces of hardware on the seat pop off... You slide the back of the seat down once it's unbolted from the seat belt latch and bolt on the opposite side. Once that slides down the seatback cooler is right there, couple of screws, a zip tie pull replace done. If you search I've done a full write up with photos.

I would like to apologize for resurrecting this.Thank you for your incredible information. My 08 l322 Westminster had cooled seats working and then it now does not work. Both the heat and cool are out the button lights up for both but no dice. I checked the fuses all good. What would be the next step to try? I would like to mention that today I started the cooled seats and I heard the fan cut on but then stopped..

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
464 Posts
The most likely problem is a busted vent duct in the seat back. The circuit requires a pre determined airflow across it which falls below spec when airflow leaks from split/cracked ducts. That’s usually why the fan runs for 5-10 seconds then shuts down.

Detach the seat from the four corner track mounting bolts and then remove the seat back cover panel (where the rear passenger’s knees would rub) to carefully examine the integrity of the duct.

Rob

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover SC Westminster Edition
6 Posts
The most likely problem is a busted vent duct in the seat back. The circuit requires a pre determined airflow across it which falls below spec when airflow leaks from split/cracked ducts. That’s usually why the fan runs for 5-10 seconds then shuts down.

Detach the seat from the four corner track mounting bolts and then remove the seat back cover panel (where the rear passenger’s knees would rub) to carefully examine the integrity of the duct.

Rob
Thanks will access and comment back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts