RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm followed this article and all my tests are according to what this suggests - https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/fault-code-p0705-advise-please.265065/ , Could not find anything wrong in the control switch, but anyway opened it up and refurbished it, and closed it again using stainless steel pins. Did take photos of the whole process and some videos on how to do this. Also tested with a 2nd hand refurbished unit, and both test the same.

I do not get any Error code when scanning using a Delphi scanner, but as soon as my vehicle start moving forward in Drive, it activates Transmission Failsafe, and locks itself in 4th gear. Nothing wrong with Reverse gear.

I just drove 350Km home in failsafe mode, which tells me the gearbox is not fault, but rather an electric problem

I've tested on this blue plug, and all L1/2/3/4/+ve tests are according to these images.

Is there something else I can be missing. Something I did notice is that it does not go into failsafe mode should I pull away from a steep downhill. (Does this hint to something ?)

Is this maybe an option ? Got this from someone, but I'm not sure if this will apply to the L322 m62 Engine

Any feedback much appreciated. I also replaced my gearbox filter and oil about 3 weeks ago, and the gearbox is reconditioned in March of this year.

Once I'm getting past this error, I cand rive the whole day without activating the failsafe, as long as I do not restart the vehicle.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
You’re just asking us to guess.
You need to get the codes read with a diagnostic kit capable of reading Land Rover-specific transmission fault codes. The cause of your failsafe condition will be stored in the transmission ECU.

Phil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re just asking us to guess.
You need to get the codes read with a diagnostic kit capable of reading Land Rover-specific transmission fault codes. The cause of your failsafe condition will be stored in the transmission ECU.

Phil
I was hoping for someone who had the exact same problem/symptoms and tried all the things I did, who can maybe give some hints. To take the vehicle on a flatbed to LandRover and have them scanning the codes will cost me an arm and a leg.

The normal ELM327 scanners does also not show anything, Do you have a product name/number/model of a scanner that will be able to read these codes ? I've spend enough money for companies to have the codes read for me, that is maybe a good time to invest in one.

I have these scanners:
Delphi TCS Pro Plus 2016 Model
ELM327 ViCAR scanner
Vgate Scan VS600
Konwei KW680

Lodewicus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I manged to get this P1646 error on all my scanners (seems my ODB plug is a bit wonky under the dashboard).

Any suggestion what this can indicate ?

Kind Regards

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
266 Posts
Did you replace the gear selector switch with s good known one? It’s not clear from your post. P1646 is a generic OBD error stating some kind of CAN communication issue, you need iiDTool or iLand or something LR specific that can show you other details associated with factory fault codes. Generic code readers are quite useless when it comes to that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove 1500km home now with intermittent trans failsafe warningfrom holiday with a fully loaded vehicle.

I did notice it only happens when doing a cold start. It never happens after the engine was running for more than 20 minutes. Battery have a date 13/08/18 on it - will anyway get a new Varta battery on Monday.
Voltage without engine running - 12.2v
While starting - dip to 11.4v and then climb up to 14.1v
While running - stays between 14.1 and 14.3

Shops still closed this side of the world till Monday. At least managed to get safe home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got my Scanner for my L322 Rangerover. Also replaced my battery with a new Varta to rule that out as an option

The following 5 messages gets returned by the scanner:

P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Censor A Circuit
P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0659 Actuator Supply Voltage A Circuit
P0705 Transmission Range Censor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
P0000 Electric Thermostat Circuit Fault

This one don’t have a P????? number, but only a message:
Can Bus Fault – No EGS1 received from Auto Gearbox ECU

The gearbox fluid was replaced when they overhauled my gearbox (Still under guarantee). I’ve checked the level with the vehicle on ramps and with the engine idling for about 20 Minutes

Any suggestions where to start with ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still testing all tips I get from the internet.

All readings below on Plug C1835:
==========================

(P0751) I meassure 330 Ohm (according to this article it should be between 285-365 Ohm)

For the solenoid valve I meassure 30,6 Ohm (should be between 26-27 Ohm)

For Pin 21-22 (Temperature sensor) I measure 986 Ohm when engine is cold. (Should be between 900 (Cold) and 2400 (Hot))

The problem is only reproducable when the gearbox is cold. The "trans fail safe" doesn't show up if I let the car idle for 20 Minutes before driving it. It also doesn't show up when driving the vehicle when the gearbox is hot.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
Interesting that you’re flagging an error code for the turbine speed sensor, yet your resistance measurement shows that it’s connected okay

I wonder if it’s worth checking that the retaining screw isn’t coming loose? (though why this would be temperature dependant I have no idea)

You could inspect it at the same time, just to make sure that the sensor end (which is magnetic) isn’t contaminated with metallic debris

(Incidentally, over on LandyZone here in the UK I’m known as ‘Bemble’, so you’re getting all your information from the same source (me), which is never a good idea!)

Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently switched out my 4.4 block with one from an x-5 and rebuilt the heads. I had tried to get the timing set using some well priced Chinese camshaft blocks.....get the German Auto solutions timing kit...after getting the timing right, I found myself stuck in the transmission failsafe mode. I had not done any work on the drive train, so I was stumpted as to both the cause of the failsafe mode and how I was going to fix trhe problem.

My issue turned out to be the transfer box ecu behind the battery. Over the years the plastic facing that runs along the bottom of the windshield had loosened and water from Oregon's many rainy days seeped into TB ECU. I drained about 2 or so ounces of water from my TB ECU. A short in that ECU froze the TB in low gear.

I tried to dry out the ECU without any success. I bought one off ebay for $20.00, and no testbook programming is required. I just reconnected the three multi-plugs, performed the test someone already posted t.o this thread and away we went.

I had changed a 100amp fusable link some years back, and I believe I did not properly install the cover that goes over the ECU which led to the water damage.

Are you sure that the TB brain is working as it should?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Phil and wdiamond11 - I will test both on Monday.

wdiamond11 - you might be up to something here. My vehicle is right-hand drive and I did noted during the past 2-3 thunderstorms we had that about a cup of water was lying on the rubber carpet at the passenger's feet, which is directly below the battery, so I suspect it might be the case here.

Will also check the turbine speed sensor - Male it wasn't replaced tight enough when they overhauled my gearbox.

Will update here accordingly. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HI Phil. I only noticed this morning that the switch in your image looks like it is inside the gearbox (need to remove the gearbox oil sump). I will only be able to do this 2 weeks from now. (I've opened this gearbox so many times in the past 3 months to test stuff - might be a good idea to get wing-nuts for all those sump bolts :) )

While under the car I removed the below censor, which is on the torque convertor, but it "looks" fine - not sure what the resistance needs to be

@wdiamond111, the TCU looks OK regarding water damage - some small water evidence on the cover, but the TCU itself and the plug/relay connectors looks good to me

Will test drive it today to see if maybe of this reseating of the relays/plugs on the TCU made a difference.

Thanks again for the information/assistance

Lodewicus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts