·
Vendor
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
Or... make your own for under $10. I have been running these for the past 3 years.

Attachments

Reactions: ALBEE

·
Vendor
140 Posts
Well, that's one way.
The Johnson Rods are custom fit different in the front vs the back to make sure they fit just right.
Our stainless steel will not rust or bend. picture below with 275-55-20 tires
Check our vendor section for more info under Johnson Rods: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/170-johnson-rods-llc/
BQ RR Sport 275-55-20 1.JPG

·
Registered
805 Posts
I prefer LLAMs so that I can select a height when I need it and not stuck high in the air all the time. There are lots of makers of rod kits and they are cheap and effective but you are stuck at a height once they are set. Yes can be adjusted back but when up to your axles in mud not as easy as made out to be to adjust.

Cheap and nasty comes to mind and as indicated easy to make your own.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Totally agree with Garrycol. I looked at the LLAMs tool and opted for the GAP tool since it offered additional diagnostic and configuration options. I'm actually running stock rods now with 2" lift for oversized tires and was able to use the GAP tool to recalibrate the system to correct the speedo. The LLAMs tool was hard to turn down cause it is so simple and convenient. But yes, swapping out the rods increases odds of messing up the height sensor and usually inconvenient.

·
Vendor
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
52 Posts
Nice looking truck. For what its worth i have the gap tool, iland and the rods and I have been running them for a while now with no issues or problems to report. I find that with the rods I can actually get extra lift whencombined with the computer suspension tuning for when im dipping into mud holes or just want to drive around looking like a monster truck :)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
I'd be a little worried about higher-speed road driving with a significant lift over stock. I'm sure LR are playing ultra safe, but there's probably still a reasonably sane justification for why our cars won't let you drive over (15 or 25mph cant remember) with even stock off-road height selected.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's why a system like LLAMS is a great solution.
With a flick of a switch you are back to standard or even lower

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
24 Posts
Do you have any suggestions about adding a 1in to 1.5in lift? 2.5 is too much for my taste.. currently running 285/40/22 Ziex.. runs phenomenal but id like to get a second set of tires 275/45/22 Nitto trail grapplers

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
I made them for a P38 when I first did the LSx swap. It really isn't brain surgery is it?
I have no problem in folks spending money for something that will work out the box, but I also have zero issues with the guys that see a solution and make it themselves. Yeah, may not be as shiny or pretty, but stainless rod is relatively cheap, as are the dies for making pretty circles......

Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those that are runnng his mod, how are you finding the ride afterward? Doesn’t this trick the suspension into running higher pressure in the airbags to gain the extra height. I would think it might make the ride pretty stiff and bouncy?

Bunk

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
That is exactly what it does. So yes, in standard ride height you have ride of being in wading mode. It's only mildly rougher, it is still air suspension after all. However 2.5" taller has a pretty big impact on cornering and high speed stability. There is a reason that EAS lowers automatically from wading mode to standard height... it is a safety and stability issue. Likewise when EAS lower to motorway level it is better stability and handling.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Well Garry, I don;t think we have seen those here before. Interesting concept and actually rather brilliant since there is very little stress on height sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have to get a wheel alignment after you put these rods on?
Thinking about having them on for winter with 18" wheels on 32" tires and then lower it back to original and ride the 22´s for the summer

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
You should. 2.5" of lift changes quite a bit of the geometry except for toe in. Of course it all depends on how long your winters. Please add your location to your profile and you r rig info to your signature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Iceland so my winter season is about 5 months..... I like the look of my 22" in the summer so I might keep the stocks height and go for 31" winter tires on 18" wheels if I have to align the wheels 2 times a year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts