RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used RRS L320 SDV6 three months ago and love it. Except when it comes to filling up with diesel. The filling nozzle cuts off at anything more than a very gentle fill rate so it takes me ages to fill up. Furthermore, because the nozzle cuts off so readily I can't tell when the tank is full and twice I've overfilled it. I've tried holding the nozzle in different positions / angles but it doesn't seem to help. The dealer, Guy Salmon Northampton, just says that they are slow to fill. However, I can't believe it should be as bad as this. I've only ever filled up at Tesco stations (because of the discount deal) but presume that its pumps aren't any different.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something I've just got to live with? (My wife has an Evoque and it's no problem.)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
708 Posts
I have no issues filling my TDV6 - I would suggest that maybe your vehicle has an issue or the pumps you are using are Hiflow bowsers designed to fill large lorrys not cars. I suggest trying somewhere else to see if you still have the issue - if you do then look to an issue with your car - maybe a blocked breather.

Garry

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
Use the correct size filler nozzle. You must be using the ones for lorries.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Tesco I visit is not aimed at trucks and is used by private cars of all sizes so that can't be the problem. I will raise the issue again with the local LR dealership as I just don't believe filling should be as slow as I am finding it. I think I'd know if the mis-fuelling device was triggered as presumably it wouldn't fill at all.

Thanks all, so far.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I'd know if the mis-fuelling device was triggered as presumably it wouldn't fill at all.
I sure did not mean to insult your intelligence.
I just offered a possible explanation

:roll:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
Hi Geoff sometimes pulling the nozzle out a little rather than having it pushed right home might help. My wifes VW we have to push it in, too the first notch, then kind of let it hang on the nozzle and it fills up really fast, if we push it right in it just keeps clicking and stopping every 5 or 6 seconds Also maybe leaving it a little bit longer before you remove the cap can sometimes help due to pressure build up in the tank, especially if you are getting the sound of air rushing when you open the cap?? just an idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem is that the nozzle doesn't go very far into the filler tank at all. Hence the twice I've spilt diesel over the forecourt.

It doesn't sound as though anyone else is having this problem so I intend to call in to GS Northampton.

Thanks so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What an idiot I am. Just been to GS and the mis-fuelling device had indeed been triggered. In my naivity I had assumed that the idea was to prevent you filling up with petrol but apparently it just slows you down so you realise something is wrong. It's now been reset and I am assuming that my problem is solved.

It has been like it since I bought the car three months ago. The mechanic said that it was probably delived from LR with the device triggered (he had seen that happen before) and the previous owner hadn't noticed / bothered.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
For my own education, how does this detection system work?

Here on the US side, the diesel nozzle is wider than the gasoline nozzle so it would take some doing to put diesel in a gasoline car. Obviously the diesel car can take the smaller gasoline nozzle.

Is gasoline fed in at a faster/different rate and a detection system detects this? Diesel can get pretty foamy so it would make some sense to feed it slower I guess, but I dunno. Or does this work some other way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to be simply a case of petrol (gasoline) nozzles being thinner than the diesel ones so go into the filler neck further. When this happens the misfuelling device (a yellow flap) is triggered and partial blocks the neck. There isn't a problem the other way round as diesel nozzles are too wide to go into petrol filler necks so petrol models don't have the device incorporated.

I had misunderstood the principle of the misfuelling device - I had assumed that it would completely prevent misfuelling but it is only meant to warn you by severely restricted the flow rate. It doesn't stop you filling up if you persist.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
So its a simple mechanical flap...interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Saw this while checking for evaporative emissions---

<<Symptom Chart
Symptom Possible Causes Action
Difficulty in filling fuel tank Restriction in the vapour line between the fuel tank and
the carbon canister outlet/atmospheric port
Check for restrictions/damage, etc>>

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my RR 2007 Vogue TDV8 although I haven't tried to fill up with anything other than diesel. I have to almost hold the nozzle away from the filler neck completely to get any decent flow. I checked the fuel guard but that hasn't been activated. It's like the diesel has so much volume it can't get down the filler neck quick enough so the hose thinks the tank is full. The diesel nozzle is quite tight in the neck so I don't think there's enough space for all the vapours to escape past it. Filling up with the hose almost completely free of the neck seems to give enough breathing space for the fuel. This happens at every station I fill up at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts