Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, new problem!

I have a battery/charging issue that is causing a flat battery if I leave the car for a couple of days. The battery is 90 and 800 on the amps (whatever those numbers mean!) and when tested it was 68% which the guy thought was ok. But looking around these numbers seem a little low. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
222 Posts
need to have higher voltage than that should be at least 12V 24 hours after the engine has been turned off
a amp reader on the alternator you should be getting between 12-14V any thing less then alternator needs replacing
do you know if the battery wa ever changed?

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 Dynamic HSE Lux Fuji White on Ebony & Ivory
700 Posts
I’m running a 95ah/850CCA Varta AGM battery that cranks the 3.0 TDV6 no problem. My alternator can put out 14.6V when the BMS tells it to. I have left the car a couple weeks without any starting issues.

I would think on a regular car 68% might suffice. However, there are electronics for the electronics in these cars, so they’re very power hungry. You may also have a parasitic drain somewhere. When the cars goes to sleep it draws very little power, but if something isn’t powering down or is continually waking up it’ll drain the battery quick. Check the alternator, then check for parasitic drain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the alternator - all ok. So, changed the battery. Seems the easiest solution (if not the cheapest!) and that will either work fine or it must be a parasitic drain. Still nothing has gone wrong with the car for a year, so just about due another problem!

Thanks for the answer

·
Registered
222 Posts
Checked the alternator - all ok. So, changed the battery. Seems the easiest solution (if not the cheapest!) and that will either work fine or it must be a parasitic drain. Still nothing has gone wrong with the car for a year, so just about due another problem!

Thanks for the answer
so alternator is good and you've put new battery on ?
should be OK
if it goes down again quickly it would have a slight drain on it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will give it a few days. We don't do much mileage on our island, so batteries take quite a hammering starting the engine a lot and having short journeys. I read it takes about 7.5 miles to recharge from starting the car. My work is 4 miles away, so that's not too good for a start. Time will now tell.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I’d recommend a battery tender or some sort of small battery charger you can plug in overnight to help maintain the charge.

What year is your RRS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 2006 - the early one, but it only has 87k so worth playing with. Have stuck a Yuasa YBX5019 in there with 100Ah, so hopefully all will go well. I'll keep the battery charger in mind. Might go for one of those solar ones that live on the dash, that might help.

·
Registered
700 Posts
In Guernsey? There’s sun there? Just kidding. If you want one of the cigarette lighter solar gigs you can replace one of the relays in the CJB with a jumper so it’s always live. I have my front socket wired like this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea. Am not using the RR for a couple of days as that has killed the battery up to now. If it starts tomorrow I'll go with the dodgy battery scenario.
We do get a bit of sun now and then, just come in off the beach having a crab and seafood salad tonight. Life sucks!! Still not a patch on California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi people, new problem!

I have a battery/charging issue that is causing a flat battery if I leave the car for a couple of days. The battery is 90 and 800 on the amps (whatever those numbers mean!) and when tested it was 68% which the guy thought was ok. But looking around these numbers seem a little low. Any thoughts???
REMOVE REAR TAILGATE HANDLE MICRO SWITCH ( THE ONE THATS OPENS THE TOP TAILGATE) AND CHECK ITS FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY, THEY CORRODE AND CAUSE BATTERY DRAIN, MY CAR S BATTERY DRAIN WAS RESOLVED WITH A GENUINE LANDROVER PART,BOUGHT A NON GENUINE HANDLE AT FIRST AND IT DID NOT WORK,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update if you're interested...
The new battery has solved the problem, so I'm calling that a win. Interestingly there was a HDC fault reported most days and that has also disappeared. Odd but could have been down to low voltage.

Now awaiting the next round of fun when a new problem arises!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice! When the voltage gets low all sorts of systems throw tantrums. Just keep the new battery maintained and should be good for some time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update if you're interested...
The new battery has solved the problem, so I'm calling that a win. Interestingly there was a HDC fault reported most days and that has also disappeared. Odd but could have been down to low voltage.

Now awaiting the next round of fun when a new problem arises!
ANY LOW VOLTAGES ON CARS LIKE BMW, RANGE ROVERS ETC CAUSE HAVOC WITH THE CAN BUS SYSTEMS,
MOST FAULTS ARE GHOSTS IF BATTERY IS PROBLEMATIC.
AS I HAVE YOU CAN FIT A BASIC SPLIT CHARGE RELAY (£12),RANGE ROVER L320 HAS AUX BATTERY TRAY FITTED FROM FACTORY ,DRIVERS SIDE IF ITS RHD CAR,PULL AND LIFT THE BLACK PLASTIC COVER SIMILAR TO THE BATTERY COVER ON PASSENGERS SIDE, ,AN AVERAGE CAR BATTRY FITS IN .
ALSO MAKE SURE YOU LOCK YOUR CAR FROM THE FOB AS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM DOES NOT SHUT DOWN CORRECTLY AND WILL CAUSE MORE BATTERY DRAIN .
ON ANOTHER TOPIC,
THE WIFE AND I ,2 CHILDREN IN TOW WERE SUPPOSED TO BE STARTING EMPLOYMENT ROLES ON THE ISLAND THIS MONTH BUT DUE TO HOUSE RENTAL SITUATIONS WE HAVE HAD TO U TURN ON THE ROLES,WHICH IS A REAL SHAME FOR MY DAUGHTERS AND THE ISLANDS FUTURE GENERATION,
WIFE S IN HEALTH CARE AND I DO HANDS ON MECHANICAL,SERVICE ENGINEER , FABRICATION,WELDING ROLES..
WHEN YOUR NEXT PROBLEM CROPS UP DROP ME A LINE,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts