Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am new to this forum having recently purchased an L320 2007 Range Rover Sport. I am hoping it was a worthy purchase and won't be a money pit. The alloys are in a bit of a state, 3 of which having been kerbed badly over time. A recent visit to a garage with it revealed that one of the alloys wasn't genuine but I am wondering whether we stick with the other 3 and have them refurbished or try to obtain a full set. I do like the wheels and they suit the vehicle being gunmetal grey but 2 are due tyres soon and at over £250 each I am just wondering what the best course of action is. Anyway, could someone identify the model of alloy please as, if replacing is worth it, it would be good to obtain the same ones. Many Thanks, Paul
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 Dynamic HSE Lux Fuji White on Ebony & Ivory
358 Posts
Those are 20” stormers.

Also, get the right size tires, they should be 275/40r20 or if you want a little more comfort go 275/45r20. The 265’s leave the wheel more susceptible to curbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you all. We've had the vehicle about 3 months now and have little idea of the history in relation to the wheels. It's dark green and with the wheels, personally, I think it looks great. 3 of the wheels are genuine according to our local garage and one is not, so maybe you are right and they came from a later model, but I suspect one of the wheels was so bashed up, they opted for a lookalike. The engine is a 2.7 diesel.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,144 Posts
The engine is a 2.7 diesel.
The standard wheels would have been 18". So your wheels are from a different model L320 - but that really does no matter if they came off a L320 RRS or a D3.

This brochure has the four wheels that came fitted to the earlier L320. The TDV6 only came with the 18" but all would fit. http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/LandRover_RangeRoverSport_L320-I_Brochure_200712.pdf

The main issue with the 22" wheels you have is the poor ride quality and useless for offroad use.

Garry

·
Premium Member
2006 Range Rover Sport
1,239 Posts
I believe OEM Stormers only came in 20" and only in the silver color way so I would go so far as to say all four of your 22" stormer-style wheels are aftermarket. I'm not certain L320s were ever offered with 22" wheels. I've seen wheels in comparable condition refurbished to like new so I wouldn't worry much if the shop thinks they can clean it up. Since you like the way it looks, I would just have the wheels refurbished and enjoy your new RRS. Just realize with 22s you're running less rubber and more susceptible to rash. Does it really matter aftermarket or not as long as they're mechanically sound?

Reactions: garrycol

·
Registered
358 Posts
I believe OEM Stormers only came in 20" and only in the silver color way so I would go so far as to say all four of your 22" stormer-style wheels are aftermarket. I'm not certain L320s were ever offered with 22" wheels. I've seen wheels in comparable condition refurbished to like new so I wouldn't worry much if the shop thinks they can clean it up. Since you like the way it looks, I would just have the wheels refurbished and enjoy your new RRS. Just realize with 22s you're running less rubber and more susceptible to rash. Does it really matter aftermarket or not as long as they're mechanically sound?
22” stormers were on L322’s I think.

Thanks for the correction on the wheel size Garry, wasn’t very clear on my phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi - you've convinced me to keep them so I will save up, have them refurbished and accept the fact that new tyres will cost slightly more. Although it went to the garage yesterday alerting us to a suspension problem so the wheels may have to wait!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi - not too sure to be honest. The other day it displayed a suspension fault message and wouldn't let us drive over 30mph. We took it to the garage the other day, they couldn't find a fault, they took it on a few long drives yesterday, cleared the message and have left it at that. Collected it this morning and it seems fine. I am no mechanic but it was in last week as we had a suspension air leak - they fixed that - as the front near side was sinking. Hopefully it just needed the fault message resetting. As I've said, I hope we haven't purchased a money pit. It's beginning to feel like it but hopefully we won't have any significant future spend for a while.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Let’s put it this way, somebody sold it for a reason. Don’t let it put you off though. Most fixes last quite a while, so yes you’ll probably need to invest some money, but once fixed up it should run a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi - not too sure to be honest. The other day it displayed a suspension fault message and wouldn't let us drive over 30mph. We took it to the garage the other day, they couldn't find a fault, they took it on a few long drives yesterday, cleared the message and have left it at that. Collected it this morning and it seems fine. I am no mechanic but it was in last week as we had a suspension air leak - they fixed that - as the front near side was sinking. Hopefully it just needed the fault message resetting. As I've said, I hope we haven't purchased a money pit. It's beginning to feel like it but hopefully we won't have any significant future spend for a while.
sounds like your right it just needed the fault code clearing the best advice I can offer it read through forums and you'll get a idea of what work will need or should of been done any little thing needs doing get it sorted and just keep it maintained and you should be trouble free

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Clearing "fault-Codes" can do wonders just by themselves I've discovered... I have those Exact Same Wheels in 22" Diameter. They are Stormer's as well and are quite nice. I paid to have some Rim-Rash repaired once. I watched the guy who did the work. It's nothing magical... So I fully repaired the rest of the rims even nicer than the initial 1 rim repair to all (5) rims with about 2 hours of total time including with multiple coats of drying in between time. They came out nice and family stated they couldn't detect any signs of repair and thought they were new wheels I bought...

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Sky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts