RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In his review of 2010 Range Rover Supercharged, Dan Neil writes:

"Much stricter fuel economy and greenhouse gas standards in the U.S. are coming fast, and some manufacturers,
by the very nature of their products, are hugely disadvantaged. By my reckoning, the most vulnerable company
on the product map is Land Rover... "

He doesn't think Land Rover will survive this down economy. Read the full article here --
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-neil2-2009oct02,0,5401349.column

I hope he's wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
figaro hse said:
In his review of 2010 Range Rover Supercharged, Dan Neil writes:

"Much stricter fuel economy and greenhouse gas standards in the U.S. are coming fast, and some manufacturers,
by the very nature of their products, are hugely disadvantaged. By my reckoning, the most vulnerable company
on the product map is Land Rover... "

He doesn't think Land Rover will survive this down economy. Read the full article here --
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-neil2-2009oct02,0,5401349.column

I hope he's wrong.
Bloody scaremongering journalists!

Firstly, the economic downturn was caused by bankers getting greedy not by a massive world war or a potato blight. Its not the end of the world.

Secondly LR are part of a massive profitable group unlike, say, Chrysler or GM. Who are up **** creek.

Thirdly manufacturers are developing new technologies to power vehicles in clean ways. LR are soon to launch the electric drive rear axle and have said that next generation vehicles will be lighter. Alfa Romeo have developed a hydrolic (I think) sytem of valve control called Multiair and even Ferrari have embraced direct injection for economy rather than power.

But that wouldn't make good copy would it...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I've just read Dan Neil's article.
He's an ignorant wanker.

"The top-of-the-line Supercharged Range Rover gets 12 mpg city/18 mpg highway and has emissions of roughly 400 grams of carbon per mile (my estimate);"
Well done Dan, thats a brilliant piece of research there. You didn't look it up on Land Rover's website did you? You didn't even ask at the Land Rover press conference you went to. You just GUESSED.
It only took me all of 30 seconds to find out its 348g/km and I didn't have Land Rover putting me up in nice hotel or paying for my fuel.

"the Range Rover weighs a lot. A massive, beefy frame, agricultural axles,[its a monocoque with independent front and rear suspension - probably would have told you that in the press pack you muppet...] heavy-duty air suspension and wheels [Wheels! Shock horror!], mighty engines bristling with oil coolers, external oil sumps[I don't think its dry sumped?] and waterproofed belt-drives, starters, air conditioning compressors, alternators [show me a car on sale in the US that doesn't have an air con compressor and an alternator] -- all of this is what you need if you want to be the greatest off-road vehicle on the planet"

I think Dan Neil would be best left out of future discussions about the future of Land Rover as a company.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
I've just read Dan Neil's article.
He's an ignorant wanker.
A Men

There are many people out there who believe they have the right to tell others what do eat, drink, live and drive. Arrogant Wankers such as this need to actually learn about reality and not make it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts