RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were some posts back in time (which I also participated in) about painting black the rear external E pillars (and radiator grill etc) to bring them back to life. The consensus was, I think, that Krylon Fusion plastic paint was the best. I then set about trying to get some. Crikey ...

It is readily available in the States (but suppliers can’t/won’t ship internationally). I have phoned numerous people in Oz and, after an arduous search, I have finally tracked down someone that has it (and I don’t have to buy 36 cartons) - but only in Gloss Black – the only other colour I saw on the manufacture’s website in the States was a satin finish.

My question is has anyone used the gloss finish – if not, what do you think it might look like. Has anyone painted the door handles – they look as if they are made from a different kind of (?) plastic.

I’m going to buy some tins of this stuff anyway because it is impossible to find but just after anyone’s comments of the gloss finish – might be perfect - might be horrid – might be in between.
Thanks
Regards
Andrew

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
IMO, gloss black won't look very good.. Where are you located?

Scotty

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crikey that was quick Scotty. I'm in (sunny) Melbourne, Australia. My instinct agrees - the gloss may look a bit yucky?

If anyone in the States wants to send me some I will happily make it worth their while.

Cheers

Andy

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I would prefer the matte/semi finish myself. I have used the fusion on alot of bits about the house and rangie and have a great fix for you to ponder. After a trip through the dishwasher my rear light guards received a coating of the fusion high gloss. In my opinion it looked too neat and new for my beat up old rig. So I gave them two more coats. I did the same with the air intake parts below the windscreen. Why more coats of something I didn't care for? I figured it would make dang good primer for what ever I chose to put on. After the fusion dried overnight next to the fireplace I gave a couple coats of hammerite and am very pleased. There is no lifting, fish eyes or wrinkles. The Hammerite has a much closer colour to our bumper material giving a nice looks.

For door handles I did plain hammerite on a buddies rig almost three years ago and they have not faded, pealed or chipped.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Krylon black primer works very well on light gaurds where as other spray cans seem to just soak away for ever.

Door handles, use silicone paste (clear like grease) and it really lasts along time and that goes for any plastics including the grill , best applied when warm and may require a few treatments to revive to original lusture

if you're a money tight git then belive it or not ATF oil is just as good to treat fading plastic, abit odd smelling mind you
I prefer to use a pro type of silicone treatment, works the best

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dupli-Color may be known around the globe as Holts Dupli-Color

I found this page and the Trim paint may be packaged under the Holts name. Like I said, this stuff goes on without a primer and the easiest and toughest stuff I sprayed out of a can.

http://www.holtsauto.com/products/group ... upli-color

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I would prefer the matte/semi finish myself. I have used the fusion on alot of bits about the house and rangie and have a great fix for you to ponder. After a trip through the dishwasher my rear light guards received a coating of the fusion high gloss. In my opinion it looked too neat and new for my beat up old rig. So I gave them two more coats. I did the same with the air intake parts below the windscreen. Why more coats of something I didn't care for? I figured it would make dang good primer for what ever I chose to put on. After the fusion dried overnight next to the fireplace I gave a couple coats of hammerite and am very pleased. There is no lifting, fish eyes or wrinkles. The Hammerite has a much closer colour to our bumper material giving a nice looks.

For door handles I did plain hammerite on a buddies rig almost three years ago and they have not faded, pealed or chipped.
You arent married are you? :lol:

·
Registered
344 Posts
PICS, boys...PICS? `8) I would love to see the gloss lights, the front wiper areas, the e pillars, all of it....i'm sure I'm not the only one. you should snap pics. I'm going to make a new post...please post your pics!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
not yet, but things are looking up. :thumb:

The dishwasher comment gave you off, my mother would kill me if I put car parts into her dishwasher. :lol:

Good luck getting married though, if you are looking for something unique I do custom engagement rings. :thumb:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies everyone - I am happy to report I have tracked down some Krylon fusion satin black, so I will be able to go to work on it all shortly.

As well as the E pillar trims, grill and the vent trim at the base of the windscreen, has anyone done the other (middle) external pillar trims? they seem like plastic to me but not sure. It would look good if they were all done the one colour.

I've never done anything like this before (not since my Airfix spitfire a long time ago) - do you think I need to remove the pillar trims or can I mask them up ok in situ (so to speak). Does it spray ok from the can. I have had mixed suggestions about whether or not the E pillars are glued to the rear glass - gently knocking back with a bit of protected wood or similar seems the go from previous threads. The grill is easy enough to get off.

On a different note, I am having my 5.0l monster put on the dyno for the first time next week - should be interesting.

I'll take some photos.
Cheers

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts