RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I`ll need some suggestions here now about a noise in my engine. Its a 4,0 V8 GEMS (-98 model) by the way.
It have a knockin noise when I`m starting her, not every time but now and then,cold or hot. I don`t think its the camshaft because the noise dissapear after ca. 5 minutes or sometimes earlier and when driving her, the noise is gone and will not turn back until next time I`ll start her. So the noise is appearing only on startup`s. She has been in my ownerships for the last 6 years and I have owned V8 RR`s since mid -80s so I tought I`m starting to know a thing or two about them but I have never heard such a noise before. Could it be a sensor?
Thanks for any suggestions and keep on rovering :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you changed your oil lately?
If so did you go thicker or thiner on the oil?
If not you might want to change your oil and have the oil tested to see how it looks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Yes, the engineoil and filter is changed regulary ( more frequently than factory spec.) I have always done that because of the very known camshaft problem on the Rover V8 engine since its birth. I also thought the "knocking" noise could come from one of the valves in the beginning but it can`t be, as the noise never is there or reapear when the engine has been running for 5min.or so. And it can`t be further down regarding to the crankshaft bearings for the same reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does it make the noise only when the car starts, or every time you start, ie driving for a while, stop and start

Sounds like it could be noisy lifters.

Did you change oil weight or anything?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
239 Posts
If it's a light tapping it could be loose exhaust manifold nuts/studs. Once the manifold warms up and expands the tapping goes away. Was a problem on the Classic's 3.9 and some P38s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for suggestions :)
The noise comes only when startups BUT not every time and it doesn`t matter if the engine is cold or warm.
And yes, my thougts aswell has gone to tappets but shouldn`t such a noise be around all the time and not know and then??
I`m not sure if its matter but after the last oilchange and after a few miles I notice that I have overfilled a slight (0,2 litre)
so I drained to the correct level. Do you think this could cause the noise?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I doubt the noise would be caused by the oil level being to high, I have been wrong before though. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Could be the oil ways to the rockers are blocked, mine did after I got the car and did an oil flush. I ended up with new rockers and arms, due to lack of oil to them. If the noise has only just started you could take the rockers off and use an air gun to clear the oil ways, mine were blocked at the rear of the engine as well as the front. takes about two hour to do on a GEMS.

SID.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is it a "knock" or a " clatter/tapping" in time with engine revs? If it's a deep , substantial metallic knock not necessarily in time with the engine rhythm, it could be the bearing gone in the idle tensioner pulley. Use a piece of hose to your ear to try and isolate where the noise is coming from. Good luck...and let us know? :think:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,
got some hot news : its most likely valve clattering as you have suggest. The thing is that the noise has gone and the most likely reason for that is that I have been USING the vehicle more frequently in the last 14 days. You see, the P38 is normaly used only in weekends (and rarely so)but with the easter holliday wich we have been through now,we have used the p38 for longer trips and as a every day vehicle ( normally we use a another RR and a Disco for every day transport).
I will ofcourse let you know guys if those strange noise comes again :) .
So the saying most be: DON`T LET YOUR ROVER JUST STAND THERE AND NOT BE USED :D
Keep on Rovering

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is the correct oil filter fitted with the rubber non return inside, if it doesnt have this then oil is returning all the way back to sump.

When you start it has to prime everything again and the knocking noise is bearings, mainly big ends, the more it goes on for the more the damage so it needs sorting out promptly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your saying that there can appear some vacuum from oilfilter to sump? never heard of. the oilfilter isn`t placed upside down if it`s that what you mean. The sound was clearly at the top of the engine so the chances are that it`s the valves lubrication has been poorly. But don`t ask me why the knocking/clattering disapeared after som long journey/more frequently use of the vehicle :?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I believe Viper is asking if the oil filter is a proper filter with a non return design so basically as soon as you turn the engine it is pushing oil to the bearings rather than having to suck oil to the pump with air inbetween.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there is a non return design,it must be inside the oilfilter attachment assembly wich I belive there is. If not, wouldn`t the oil pressure lamp be illuminated for a longer time? ( as when the first startup after oilfilter change)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Stuffed hydraulic lifter noise dont as a rule go away...
Me thinks you might have a small end going, as you mentioned it goes away on long trips.

You dont mention mileage so its a hard call, have you pulled spark plugs and noticed any heavy carbon build up on any of them...

If you're up to it I would do a oil pressure test, low oil pressure could be worn pump, worn big/main ends.

When you last drained oil did you notice any metal shimmering effect in the oil...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another reason for sound could be a broken catalytic. It is rattling /cracked when it is cold and when the internal parts warm up they wedge in place. I suspect this on mine right now as I get a Metal clattering off the right bank when engine is cold and I accelerate. Somewhat settles down when warm. Easy test is to kick cat with shoe or hit lightly with rubber malet. If you here a rattle then the cat is bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts