RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 06 RR HSE. Keys just got stolen from car while moving! As far as I can tell my options are:

1) Pay dealership for new key and have locksmith cut / program it ($450)
2) replace all locks and ignition b/c some bad guy will always have access to may car ($???)
3) pour a stiff drink and plant some bushes in the old guy

Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
167 Posts
Not the answer you're looking for, but in regards to #2, affixing a "Club" lock or similar to the steering wheel or brake pedal would foil an amateur even if they had your key, although they could still access the vehicle. You could also garage the truck to protect it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,394 Posts
A locksmith probably won't be able to help. I think you will need to go to the dealer with your VIN and pay the horrendous price for him to order a key (or two) from the UK.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
618 Posts
Not the answer you're looking for, but in regards to #2, affixing a "Club" lock or similar to the steering wheel or brake pedal would foil an amateur even if they had your key, although they could still access the vehicle. You could also garage the truck to protect it.
Can cut though the steering wheel with a good hacksaw in less than a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
A professional thief is not going to steal a 14 year old Range Rover.

An amateur or opportunist "key thief" will see a Club steering wheel lock and likely keep walking, namely because he's not well practiced on hacksawing steering wheels to pieces on driveways and public streets.

Amateurs can break car windows with hammers, and pro thieves can defeat door locks and car alarms as well....so perhaps we should just give up on using those altogether, because reasons and hopelessness. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts